Weber DLC Review (Pic heavy!)

So... buy a DLC and ARC... classic and bulldog. Two heads and two handles... endless hours of fun! I've already got a Bulldog handle... thought I might buy a DLC with a classic handle and do a bit of experimenting. Didn't know they were still making ARC heads. What's the difference... basically?

How can those weber razors give a superior shave to Merkurs? The head of the weber is virtually identical to the Merkur classic head. I realise it has a different coating and handle, but i can't see it making that much difference.

I'm interested to hear any responses to that question. I was sorely tempted by a Weber DLC or ARC with the Bulldog handle for a good while before reflecting that my Merkur 34c can't be all that dissimilar.

Weight will have an effect. Additionally the blade gap and the angle at which the razor head presents the blade will have an effect. Finally the handle helps a great deal I find. I don't want to apply pressure when shaving, but I do want to have resistance to stop the blade "bouncing".

I can understand the handle weight making a difference, but i can't see how the head holds the blade any differently. Just by viewing the pictures and comparing it to my HD, it looks like the head is a merkur clone. The only difference is the underside of the head.

There's two ways I can think of. First of all the blade is bent inside the head, this will obviously vary between razors. Secondly the blade will be exposed more, or there will be a larger or smaller gap between the guard bar and the razor (this is how adjustables work). The weight of the head itself seems to help I'd say the handle is more significant, but I expect a fair amount of the total weight - thus momentum - is determined by the weight of the head.

There's no point talking about a Weber until you've tried one! Are they different to EJ and Muhle and Merkur? They are way out in front! A Weber lifts any blade you fit into the next category. Fantastic shave guaranteeed! Well OK - not with Lasers.

I have a Merkur 34c and a Weber DLC and have to say that I much prefer the weber. In fact I haven't used another razor since I got my weber.
You're right about the head though, it does appear to look very similar to the merkur head but I think the weight makes a difference.

Well if it's the weight of the handle alone that makes the difference, a bulldog handle with a merkur 33c head would be the same.

Burgundy said:
WiffWaff said:
All very interesting. Maybe I should just buy a 34c and stick my Bulldog handle on it! Currently have it on a De 89 head... I could see how they compare
It wouldn't work! It's a two-piece razor where the base plate is part of the handle.

But it would work with a 33c ;)

Back
Top Bottom