Weber DLC Review (Pic heavy!)

I just received my Weber DLC from the USA in under 10 days which I think is the first impressive bit!

When you open the seemingly plain box you are greeted with a thank you card from Weber. Underneath some bubble wrap you can already see the black head so to speak! And some Astra Super Platinums.

This is my first Stainless Steel razor and was overwhelmed by how deep the knurling was and the weight of the handle, it feels fantastic you definitely couldn't lose grip of this thing. Thought I would share a few pictures but it doesn't really do it justice, any blemishes you see are from my dirty fingers!
Weber11Jun12-6.jpg

Weber11Jun12-5.jpg

Weber11Jun12-26.jpg

Weber11Jun12-7.jpg

Weber11Jun12-13.jpg

Weber11Jun12-9.jpg

Weber11Jun12-27.jpg

Weber11Jun12-30.jpg

I took it for a test drive after a long soak in the bath and whipped up some lovely thick lather using my trusty Kent BK8 and DR Harris Windsor cream. My blade of choice was the Gillette Super Slim which I have been enjoying recently thanks to a kind PIF from a member here.

The weight in my hand feels great, I only have a 37c slant, and Muhle R89 to compare with. The first pass with the grain I had to check my angle a few times as I couldn't feel it cutting! But wow is it smooth! Second pass XTG very smooth and a large amount of reduction to my few days old facial hair.

The last pass ATG which no matter which Razor/Blade combination I have tried always gives me a draggy feel especially on one portion of my neck. Not this time! Smooth like a hot knife through butter I couldn't believe it!

After a cold rinse and some Prof's Universal ASB (which was my first use very impressed) and I'm very smooth, with no irritation! (I always have some irritation on one part of my neck but this was so minimal. I think I could have got closer with a sharper blade which I may venture down next time and a slightly different angle but this was a very impressive first go!

Anyone waiting to pull the trigger should definitely give it a whirl!
SOTD11Jun12.jpg

Your photos' are far better than the ones on the Weber website...Thanks for putting them on......I think....Definitely going to have to get one of those when they're back in stock...

GOLDCREST said:
Your photos' are far better than the ones on the Weber website...Thanks for putting them on......I think....Definitely going to have to get one of those when they're back in stock...

No worries! Going to give it a whirl tomorrow with a sharper blade perhaps a Yellow or Astra SP that came with it.

mattyb240 said:
GOLDCREST said:

No worries! Going to give it a whirl tomorrow with a sharper blade perhaps a Yellow or Astra SP that came with it.

Try it with a Polsilver if you have one, they are lovely in the DLC. If you don't have one, PM me and I'll sort something out.

Gingerpose said:
mattyb240 said:
GOLDCREST said:

Try it with a Polsilver if you have one, they are lovely in the DLC. If you don't have one, PM me and I'll sort something out.

Thanks for the kind offer I have a couple which I haven't got round to trying yet.

Those pics are highly enabling.....sheesh. Nice little review as well.

Congrats on the new bestest buddy addition to your shaving arsenal,

Martin

dodgy said:
Those pics are highly enabling.....sheesh. Nice little review as well.

Congrats on the new bestest buddy addition to your shaving arsenal,

Martin

Thanks Martin, its nice to be able to do some enabling! Fair is fair I've seen enough of it around this forum!

Had another shave with it this morning (I never shave two days in a row as my skin is to sensitive). I tried using an Astra SP, again lovely and smooth even against the grain, much closer than yesterday but with more irritation on my neck. Still no where near what it usually is if I ever try to shave two days running. Very pleased with this razor, it has a completely different feel on my face than my other razors, like the weight of a tank but covered in something soft and smooth?!

Hey everyone just wondering if anyone can recommend some blades for this? I'm finding it a bit too mild at the moment and can't get as close as I need/want.

I've tried:
Gillette Super thin
Astra Sp
Gillette green

I've got lined up a polo silver and dare I say it a feather, I'm reluctant on the feather!

mattyb240 said:
Hey everyone just wondering if anyone can recommend some blades for this? I'm finding it a bit too mild at the moment and can't get as close as I need/want.

I've tried:
Gillette Super thin
Astra Sp
Gillette green

I've got lined up a polo silver and dare I say it a feather, I'm reluctant on the feather!

Hi there,

I'd ask if someone could send you out a Gillette Sharpedge to sample. Those are just below the Feather sharpness wise, but a fair bit more forgiving. The Feather may be a little too sharp for that razor, but maybe not. You run the risk of irritation more with the Feather, but it's possible that razor will tame it just fine.

If you do try the Feather, there's no need to worry. Your technique should certainly be good enough to deal with it by now. Just keep in mind there's very little buffer if you need to correct something mid stroke.

Martin

Back
Top Bottom