Weber DLC Review (Pic heavy!)

geezer said:
Mantic59 on a blog states there isn't a big difference between the Weber razor and a 34C or similar razors:

http://sharpologist.com/2012/01/the-weber-razor.html

I've used a Weber a few times now and, while I think it's an excellent razor, I don't think its all that different from other well-made razors (HD, DE89, Goodfella, etc.). Nice and hefty, good shave, but I haven't found it dramatically better/different yet.

YMMV etc I suppose and may have changed his mind.

What's up Geez,

I looked at the link, but didn't see that quote anywhere. Seemed to me I clicked to a positive review. I believe Mark even bought a 'back up' Weber. Very smart guy!

It really would be an odd thing if he didn't notice some kind of unusual quality in the shave. That's what strikes me about everyone's reviews. Heh, it is definitely not a Merkur head.

Sorry if I missed your point,

Martin

chrisbell said:
[
Yes, I suspect that the difference the razor can possibly make to a good or average shaver is more dramatic than the difference felt by an expert.

What's doin Chris,

Now think about that for a minute. The same hold true for blades?

Hi Martin

mantic59 says:
January 30, 2012 at 10:17 am

I've used a Weber a few times now and, while I think it's an excellent razor, I don't think its all that different from other well-made razors (HD, DE89, Goodfella, etc.). Nice and hefty, good shave, but I haven't found it dramatically better/different yet.

Though he does say a little later:

mantic59 says:
January 30, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Maybe I need to try another blade?

I think he must have tough skin too but one review is just an opinion and even the best product gets negative reviews. The Weber does get very positive reviews and really the only opinion that counts is your own :)

Seems custom razors are on the up. I really like the look of this. Was considering a UFO, but not sure where to get a razor head from, though I assume i have to buy a razor and remove the head.

Might go for one of these, how much are they?

Correct blade selection does make a difference with this baby. I agree to SpeedyBabylon that Astras and Bleues work excellent in it. I should add Sputniks do to, but maybe just not quite as good as they do in the rest of the razors. Go figure.

My DLC arrived yesterday after I had shaved for the day. Used it this morning for the first time with a Gillette 7 O'clock Yellow.
I usually require 2 passes and some tidying up but with two passes of the DLC I was done.
I like heavy razors and the weight and balance of this hit the spot.
Is it really much better than my other razors? Probably not, but it is certainly in the top 3 and offers good feel and finish.
I don't regret buying it.
Anyone else out there had one arrive recently?

My Bulldog DLC arrived today, the finish is good, i also like the look and weight of the razor.

i had my first shave a minute ago and it was very smooth with a Gillette Wilkinson Sword Saloon Pack Blade.

I really enjoyed the shave, i dont regret buying the razor at all, i'm not sure how much use my other razors are now going to get though...

Gravy said:
My Bulldog DLC arrived today, the finish is good, i also like the look and weight of the razor.

i had my first shave a minute ago and it was very smooth with a Gillette Wilkinson Sword Saloon Pack Blade.

I really enjoyed the shave, i dont regret buying the razor at all, i'm not sure how much use my other razors are now going to get though...

I know my poor R89 sits there looking at me upset most weeks! Haven't used it once since getting my Weber, my slant which I love only gets a look in when I have a few days growth.

Now I'm trying to conquer a straight razor I miss the ease of my lovely DE's.

I prefer the bulldog handle. I feel I get the angle better with the shorter handle and the heavier weight reminds me to use little pressure. The DLC head is good, but I prefer the ARC head. It feels smoother against my face so the head moves more easily on my face. Both heads have different coatings for slickness and should be the same, but the ARC feels smoother to me.

codex said:
Thanks for the advice, think I will go for the Bulldog handle.

The ARC head does not appear on the web site now. I wonder if has been discontinued?

I emailed Weber a couple of days ago and they said the ARC heads should be available in 3-4 weeks.
I have the bulldog DLC and it's the best razor I've used.

Back
Top Bottom