S.O.T.D. Saturday 31st August - Friday 6th September 2013

Soap of the Week - Day 2

Prep: Hot shower
Pre: Proraso pre-shave - sensitive
Soap: Real Shaving Co. cream (soap of the week)
Brush: Semogue 830
Bowl: Woodhead Pedestal
Razor: Fatip Piccolo
Blade: Sputnik (3)
After: Proraso AS, St. James mandarin & Patchouli ASB

After yesterday's disappointingly thin lather I tried using more cream this time. Problem is that I just added more water and was left with more lather but same consistency, doh!
Tomorrow I'll give it another go and restrain myself from adding too much water.
Shave was much the same as yesterday's. RSC is a good cream but very plain. I'm getting a bit bored with it already and pining after a nice scent and buttery, conditioning lather.

That said, I did get a BBS result.

SOTD20130902_zpsa6047307.jpg

Good afternoon friends! :)
I can slowly come back.

PREP: Floïd Sandolor Pre Shave Gel
BRUSH: 23 mm Vie-Long 16510 Silvertip Badger Shaving Brush
SOAP/CREAM: Jabonman - Mountain (Gift of the Spanish 'Forum)
SCUTTLE / BOWL: Fitjar Lathering Up Shaving Bowl
RAZOR: Filarmonica 13 Doble Temple
STROP: Kanayama Cordovan #60000
SHAVE: 2 passes, WTG/XTG
AS: Floïd (Spanish)
RESULT: Awesome shave

SUODT-FLIA_zpsc63f7b0d.jpg

Have a nice week,
Béla​

Monday 09-02-13. MÚSICA: David Bowie - Earthling (1997).

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgLdEgI4O_8[/video]

85d12bda-81e3-4f58-9232-4a547438c5c8.jpg

Soap from Aleppo - Rooney 1/2 silvertip - Gillette Fat Boy - Gillette Platinum #4 - Pre JASÖN - Shaving soap Martin de Candre - Alum block - Thayers Original Aloe - ASB Herbíssimo - ASL Lavanda Ach. Brito.

Monday 2nd September

SOTD2913_zps27f186dc.jpg

Warm shower
Hot flannel
TOBS Rose cream bowl lathered
Simpson Tulip 1 super badger brush
Gillette 1930's NEW 2 piece
Sputnik (2)
Cold rinse
Thayers lavender witch hazel
Myrsol F/extra aftershave

A fine shave the TOBS cream is very easy to lather no effort at all. The threads on top of the tube have broken off poor packaging :mad:

Brian

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: Chubby 3
Razor: DORKO + GEM (for head)
Soaps: Dr Harris Almond + Proraso green
AS: Myrsol, Formula C
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Very, very clean indeed :D

When I bring out this blade I'm allways a little disapointed at the rather stiff grind, but she shaves me so well every time that I allways forgive her :D

Hot flannel
Proraso pre, menthol
New Forest Tubby 1, T&H 1805 cream
Weber Polished, Polsilver SI (1)
Cold splash
Clinique post-shave healer

Shave of the gods!

One complaint, though: why is it, whenever I use shaving cream, I think, "almond sized dob of cream? Can't possibly be enough... better double up..."
Result: foamy armageddon

Weber Polished, Bulldog
Gillette 7oc Yellow (3)
Semogue SOC 2-band
Vito's Extra Super Coconut
Proraso Aftershave lotion
Diptyque Tam Dao edt

First day back at work - after six weeks of leisure, the whole morning process felt rather odd. Decent shave though. It was nice to see everyone, see how my exam classes did, and restart a routine of sorts.

I don't care for lavender, but I really like Truefitt & Hill, so I decided to give the T&H Lavender sample a try. I think that it's pretty cool that T&H have a sample set of all of their creams. It gives you a chance to try out all of the scents before plunking down $30+ for a jar of cream that you may end up disliking. There are a lot of places that sell samples of soaps and creams, but there aren't a lot of nonartisan companies that put there entire range into a sample set, I think that speaks pretty highly of T&H.

Along with the lavender cream I am using my newly reknotted mixed loft brush. I've managed to remove most of the shedder hairs and destinkify the knot in just a couple of days, but the breaking in will likely take a while. In the mean time I have to say that I am really impressed with this brush so far. The handle is plastic, but it still has an elegant feel, the knot was purchased off of eBay from China (but not from Ace, Frank, or Liojuny). It's a mixed loft badger/boar (the description actually called it a badger/bear hair knot, but I'm pretty sure that was a typo) 20mm diameter knot with a 64mm loft that cost me a total of $8.44 ($4.94 for the knot, and $3.50 for shipping). This mixed loft plastic handled frankenbrush of unknown origin is quickly becoming my favorite.

To finish off I am back with my Gem 1912 and a carbon steel blade. I'm getting the hang of this beast and will soon be moving on to the Clog Pruf to further hone my SE razor skills.

I did a typical three pass wtg/atg/xtg shave followed by a cold water rinse and some SAL Alum. The results were a BBS shave with zero nicks and mild irritation along my jaw line on the right side. The T&H lavender wasn't as slick or as easy to lather as the Ultimate Comfort and I dislike the scent, but it did a good job and left my skin feeling untouched. Like the UC, this stuff leaves absolutely no residue and while it does not dry out my skin it also does not moisturize it much either. The Gem did a fine job and is absolutely worth the effort, it's an uncomplicated efficient razor. This was a pretty good shave that mostly just reenforced how I already feel about lavender, T&H, and the Gem 1912.

Pre: Hot shower and warm water splash
Razor: Gem 1912
Blade: Gem carbon steel
Brush: Mixed loft badger/boar
Soap: Truefitt & Hill Lavender cream

zahuvabe.jpg

Back
Top Bottom