S.O.T.D. Saturday 31st August - Friday 6th September 2013

Saturday xxxi August, 2013

I'd shaved late afternoon yesterday but knew any opportunity to complete a full shave today would be limited. So decided on a slightly different approach this morning

Prep: Ortigia Sandalo glycerin soap
Pre: Cold water splash
Brush: Neep custom '67 Threepenny bit extra silver tip
Soap: Ogallala Bay Rum, Lime & Peppercorn stick
Razor: Feather FII Neo cartridge
Blade: Feather 2 blade cartridge

Result: First time with a cartridge razor for 9 months. It was adequate but the difference was marked. It will fill its purpose (ie for when I am travelling with carry on luggage only) but can't see it ever working as well for me as DE.

Experiment over, back to the Digress next week.....

All the best

Jon

SATURDAY MORNING

Prep: Cold rinse
Razor: Kai Captain Excelia
Blade: Feather Proguard
Brush: Frank Purtech
Soap: Klar Kabinett\WS cream - suribachi lathered
After: Witch hazel & WS balm
EDT: GFT Wellington

Am going to have a few solid weeks using this razor to try and get my technique better.

Got a couple of nicks today, but a pretty reasonable shave.

This GFT cologne is very nice indeed. Wouldn't pay full price for it, but it's a no-brainer for £18.

9635998341_d285b1fcee_b.jpg

Cadet vs. Fatip face-off

Prep: Hot shower
Pre: Proraso pre-shave - sensitive
Soap: Proraso green cream
Brush: Traditional Shaving Co.
Bowl: Woodhead Pedestal
Razor (left) : Cadet OC TP02-SS + Sputnik (3)
Razor (right) : Fatip Piccolo + Sputnik(1)
After: Alum, Proraso AS, Proraso ASL

I was thinking my Cadet and Fatip razors are very similar, so today decided to compare one against the other by shaving the left side of my face with the Cadet and the right side with the Fatip. Both had Sputnik blades loaded (although the I'd already used the Cadet's blade twice before so not that scientific really).

I like the cadet because of its weighty handle and it's detailed knurling which gives a good grip and the cap screw size fits most other handles. The Fatip on the other hand has a disappointingly lightweight and thin handle which isn't pleasant to hold and a thread which doesn't quite match others so it's not too good for using on other handles. One of the reasons I got the Cadet was to a be a Fatip replacement; but it's got to earn its keep...

Shave-wise, I felt the Cadet seemed to pull/drag a little more than the Fatip (the Cadet had behaved like this over the last couple of days) so the Fatip gave a more comfortable shave. The Fatip definitely sings louder than the Cadet and you are always aware of how much blade exposure it has and so treat it with respect.
Apart from that the two razors behaved similarly. The Fatip gave me a little weeper, which just washed off and stopped, but this is unusual so I marked it down as my clumsiness.

After finishing, inspecting the final result, the Cadet actually had given less irritation but apart from that the result felt pretty much the same. Both razors give a very close shave.
I think I'm going to have to keep both in my rotation, each has its own character. Makes life a bit richer.

Have a great weekend folks.

SOTD20130831_zps847a9b73.jpg

Saturday shave

Vulfix 404
RSC shaving cream suribachi lathered
Gem G Bar
Gem blade (2)
S&J oil buffer pass with progress on lowest setting with lord blade (1)
Alum block
Old Spice whitewater as splash

Too much of leisureguys book read as tried the oil pass for the first time and the alum block hasn't been used in a while. I don't like alum. BBS results though.

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage rebranded Simpsons best
Schick F type injector/Gillette Platinum Plus (1969 NOS)
Surrey SS (early tallow base pre VDH reformulation)
Lucky Tiger AS and Face Tonic
RL 'Safari' EdT (old juice)

I have been carefully rationing these very small old soaps and am down to two, with this one just opened being one of em. Heh, I couldn't last forever and finally that monkey became too insistent. Well it's a good thing finally getting one wet again. Missed that in the rotation for too long.

This crazy injector continues to shock me with how well it fits. Comfortable as my magic adjustable number, but the silly thing whacks whiskers better. My shaves are smoother than usual after using it. Who woulda thunk it, looking at how odd the head design is.

BBS results,

Martin

Prep: Real Shaving Company face scrub
Cream: Trumpers Spanish Leather
Brush: Edwin Jagger Chatsworth ebony synthetic bristle
Razor: Wilkinson Sword Classic
Blade: Supermax Platinum

I think the RSC may have changed the formulation slightly. The tube has a new swirly design on it. The shave was smooth and pleasant, despite a mix of budget and high end products.

Today is a nice easy Saturday, so I'm using some equally easy gear. The brush is a newly reknotted plastic handled brush from an unknown manufacturer. I put a 20mm mixed loft boar/badger knot into it yesterday morning and am using it for the first time today. It looks nice and I have high hopes for it. The razor is a Sanguine SLiCKE disposable blade straight razor with a Super Iridium Extra Stainless blade on its third shave. This razor has quite a lot of heft to it, but it is also nicely designed with a fairly stream lined blade arm and a secure blade lock. I enjoyed the Bath House Spanish Fig & Nutmeg soap yesterday, so I'm using it again today, but as part of a superlather with some Trufitt & Hill Ultimate Comfort cream.

I did a three pass wtg/atg/xtg shave followed by a cold water rinse and some T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel. The results were an effortless BBS shave with zero nicks and zero irritation. The superlather whipped up really well and provided for an ultra slick surface that also left my skin silky smooth and soft without any feeling of greasiness, these two products really work well together and I will be sad when my sample of T&H Ultimate Comfort is gone. The razor flew across my face and was a joy to use. It's a low cost model easily found on eBay and is quite well made, I really like it. The mixed loft brush will take some breaking in, but did quite well for its first outing, this is my first mixed loft knot and if it is typical of these sorts of brushes then I will need to look into getting some more. This was the perfect Saturday shave: close, smooth, and easy.

Pre: Hot shower and warm water splash
Razor: Sanguine SLiCKE
Blade: Super Iridium Extra Stainless
Brush: Mixed Loft Boar/Badger
Soap: Superlather of Bath House Spanish Fig & Nutmeg and Truefitt & Hill Ultimate Comfort

vyzany3u.jpg

Greetings

Sunday 1st September 2013
Prep: Shower
Razor: Ever Ready 1924 Shovelhead
Blade: GEM Stainless Coated
Brush: Vulfix 406 Boar
Soap: Kent Luxury
Aftershave: Astral Cream (light)

Super close shave. That's the end of my Mitchell's Wool Fat (Kent Luxury) and whilst I like it I shall not replace it as there are many other soaps I like more.

Regards
Dick.

DSC04566.JPG

Razor: Dubl Duck Special No1
Brush: Simpson Commodore x3
Soap: RazoRock Classic
AS: TOBS Mr.Taylor
ASB: Bulldog

Great Shave.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyeZ3l3bhvM&list=LLW8eMt9iy0-4JakPtj_oOaA&feature=mh_lolz[/video]​

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: Polo 8
Razor: Iwasaki
Soap: Jabonman Lavanda
AS: Myrsol Metisol
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Uberclean :D

Love this blade, when the edge's spot on it's one of my bets shavers, especially a joy to use when I've got heavy stubble :D

Back
Top Bottom