'twas a fluke

Prep: Hot shower
Pre: Proraso preshave - sensitive
Soap: Sterling Bay Rum
Brush: Omega 10005 boar
Bowl: Woodhead Large Tall scuttle
Razor: Fatip + Templ8 handle
Blade: Sputnik (3)
After: Aqua Velva Ice Blue AS, Clarins ASB (sample)

I went back to using my Sterling Bay Rum soap as its lather exploded wonderfully last time I used it and my other Sterling soaps didn't. So this was a check to see if my first lather was just a fluke and today I found it was. I couldn't get it to form a thick lather today (same as the other Sterlings I've tried). So I must be doing something wrong, just got to work out what it is. Could be I need to use a wider bowl for more elbow room. Could be the boar is soaking it up. Could be water/soap ratio. I need more practice at this because I know I can get fantastic results.

Note to self: Never part with the Fatip, excellent close shave today. Fabulous BBS.

I now know why the AS is called Ice Blue, it gives you face freeze, not something that matches the warm feeling of Bay Rum.

Good day, gents.

Tuesday 19th November

SOTD191113_zpsda02bed8.jpg

Hot shower
Hot flannel
Nannys Warm Spice hard soap scuttle lathered
Simpson Harvard 4 best badger brush
Gillette NEW short comb
Gillette 7 o'clock super stainless (3)
Cold rinse
Thayers Lavender witch hazel
Myrsol F/extra aftershave

Comfortable shave all fine. A different blade loaded in the razor for tomorrows shave.

Tuesday 11-19-13. MUSIC: The Rolling Stones - December's Children (and everybody's) (1965).

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCpkqZKuw6I[/video]

8026b277-271a-4281-a0be-b1574365e94e_zps6cae2f40.jpg

Soap from Alepo - Semogue SOC two bands - Gillette Rocket HD 500 - Gillette Platinum #2 - Pre JASÖN - Shaving cream Veleiro - Alum block - Thayers Original Astringent - ASB Speick - ASL Aubrey Organics City Rhythms.

Tuesday Afternoon

Prep: Hot shower
Razor: Gillette Bigfellow
Blade: Vintage Scottish Permasharp (2)
Brush: Vintage Butterscotch Culmark
Cream: Speick bowl lathered
A/S: Floid The Original

Slight irritation today. Think I tried too hard for a BBS.... Floid stung which is unusual, but feeling all good now.

Have a good evening.

Prep: Cold water splash
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Golden Nib 2-band badger knot / Vulfix Grosvenor handle
Razor: Weber Polished / Bulldog
Blade: Polsilver SI (3)

3 passes + touch up. Very comfortable shave and ready for Enland - Germany.

Prep. Shower
Pre-shave. Proraso green.
Lather. Vulfix Sicilian Lime cream.
Razor. Weber on Classic handle.
Blade. Feather.
Balm. Forever Gentleman.
EDT. Guarlain Vetiver.

Doesn't get much better than todays shave.

Gillette Aristocrat Junior
Gillette 7oc SharpEdge (3)
Semogue SOC Finest
Stirling Anise - sample
Proraso Aftershave balm
Diptyque Tam Dao edt

I much prefer the Proraso Blue balm to Weleda - much less greasy or sticky a feel. I think I need to try using only a small dab of the Weleda to see whether over-application is the issue.

Prep: Face wash (T&H No10 Scrub)
Pre: Hot Splash, Proraso Pre shave Cream
Soap: Proraso Red
Brush: Semogue 1305
Razor: 1958 Gillette Superspeed
Blade: Astra Superior Stainless
AS: Nivea Sensitive Post shave balm

Not good this morning, dont know what it was but just wasn't comfy with this mornings shave.

This evening:
Progress on 3
7 o'clock yellow #2
Coates Fitzwilliam
Nanny's warm spice, face lathered
Tabac a/s
Weleda ASB
A reasonably quick two pass shave and a good result. No irritation and the nanny's was much better face lathered.

TUESDAY EVENING

Prep: Warm rinse
Brush: Thater something or other (forget the model)
Razor: Schick Adjustable - set to 5
Blade: Chick
Soap: GFT Coconut - bowl lathered

Very close shave tonight and I can see why Mart gets on his high horse about dis thar adjussdibble (as I imagine he pronounces it in his Chicago drawl).

When you get the angle right it's an easy shave with lots of satisfyingly raspy feedback.

The Thater was bought when I was searching out different brush manufacturers. It's lovely, really luxurious. Probably not good for hard soaps but lathers creams like a demon.

Tuesday 19th November

Brush: NF Tubby 2 (thanks fly3k)
Soap: Cella
Razor: EverReady 1912
Blade: Gem (3)

First use of the Tubby. First impressions are what a brush! It's a bit of a soap killer, it absolutely went to town on the Cella, which is a bit of a good thing as it was the first nice soap I ever received thanks to a great Scotsman on the forum.

It's a tank of a brush, but even with my small hands it feels just right, and is comfortable to load and lather up with. It has the right amount of backbone and produced a great lather in no time, with plenty for my 2 passes and more.

The shave was as close to BBS you can get with a few spots not quite there, but that's fine. I'll stick with this brush for a week or so to get used to it properly. A cream is up next.

Tuesday evening

Clinique soap
Merkur Progress on 3 then 3.5
Croma Diamant
Kent BLK12
Ingrams shaving cream
Adidas Ice Dive AS.

The Croma still felt a touch rough but again as with yesterday the resulting shave was very good. May need to try the blade in another razor. It's not too rough to not want to use it and the shave was close but interested to try it out elsewhere.

Not used Ingrams for ages so last night used the BIG Kent to fully enjoy that BIG menthol blast. Nothing better than face lathering with Ingrams - love that menthol.

Sometimes I think I have too much software as I really should be using this cream on a more regular basis, then I go out and buy some more :s

An excellent shave and I still can't argue with the results of the Croma but not sure it's smooth enough to be top rank.

EJ89
Treet (1)
cheap Wilkinsons boar brush (i bought it when i was 18!)
Ingrams
witch hazel/lemon splash
Quiksilver balm

i always cut myself with the EJ or get a nick of some sort - i don't know why this is. The treet blade performed better than i expected but the edge did feel a bit brittle - it'll be interesting to see if it makes it to 3 shaves! splahed myself with pashana about 30 mins later to revel in it's warmth :)

Wednesday:

Afternoon, everybody.

Prep: Claus Porto's Lime-oil face soap
Razor: EJ DE89 with Bulldog handle
Blade: Derby (5)
Brush: Ecotools Kabuki
Shave soap: Kell's Aloe and Hemp, Ancient Sedonia
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
Cologne: Kouros

Very smooth, trouble-free shave.

Back
Top Bottom