Rugby World Cup.. thoughts

... who can secure quick ball and snaffle turnovers - that's what hurt us the most on Saturday, the way Oz slowed the ball down or stole it at the breakdown.
Apart from putting his hand into a scrum, what was Neil so very, very good at? Snaffling loose ball, quick ball, turnovers - I'm sure he could teach those skills. I suppose he might also teach the lads how to score tries from behind a rolling maul, as well. He was very, very good at that, too.

As for Head Coach ...

What's Oz Healey doing these days? :rolleyes:

Will Greenwood writes some very informative articles - maybe there's a place for his tactical thinking. As for the coaches, I would think the forwards need a complete change of direction - they were probably the biggest disappointment of all in terms of turn-overs, lost scrummages, penalised at scrum and breakdown and a flaky line-out. It's time for some intelligence in that area and I don't think Graham Rowntree has too much of that.

Apart from putting his hand into a scrum, what was Neil so very, very good at? Snaffling loose ball, quick ball, turnovers - I'm sure he could teach those skills. I suppose he might also teach the lads how to score tries from behind a rolling maul, as well. He was very, very good at that, too.

As for Head Coach ...

What's Oz Healey doing these days?

He was very good at that, yes. World Class in fact. It's one of my (very tentative) claims to fame that I played against Back as a schoolboy in county matches. He was a school year behind me but quite clearly a cut above most of the others on the pitch in terms of talent and commitment. His coaching record is not at all special - and maybe one of those great players who is better at learning and doing than teaching. After a bit of a farce at Rugby Lions I believe he has stepped away from anything but media work as far as rugby goes.

Austin Healey - I think he is also got into business in the wider world but also works as pundit for BT Sport.

Will Greenwood writes some very informative articles - maybe there's a place for his tactical thinking. As for the coaches, I would think the forwards need a complete change of direction - they were probably the biggest disappointment of all in terms of turn-overs, lost scrummages, penalised at scrum and breakdown and a flaky line-out. It's time for some intelligence in that area and I don't think Graham Rowntree has too much of that.
Have to agree with there Rob to some extent - Will Greenwood is a very astute thinker - he always was when playing too. Again though he hasn't actually done any full time professional coaching. It's not as easy as it looks, but I agree that the knowledge and expertise of these guys should not be wasted.

Have to agree with there Rob to some extent - Will Greenwood is a very astute thinker - he always was when playing too. Again though he hasn't actually done any full time professional coaching. It's not as easy as it looks, but I agree that the knowledge and expertise of these guys should not be wasted.
Jon, I was thinking more of a role in analysis and tactics rather than direct coaching. Perhaps I'm being naive and thinking that a business/military approach can be transferred to sport - a kind of staff officer if you like. At the end of the day, tactics is as much to do with being prepared for what the opposition may do, as in carrying out your own plan.

Jon, I was thinking more of a role in analysis and tactics rather than direct coaching. Perhaps I'm being naive and thinking that a business/military approach can be transferred to sport - a kind of staff officer if you like. At the end of the day, tactics is as much to do with being prepared for what the opposition may do, as in carrying out your own plan.
As I said Rob - I think it would be great to get these guys involved. However, in Will's case, I think he really likes the limelight and it's easier talking about it than doing it. That said if I could put money of anyone of that great team becoming a great coach it would be him.

Jim Mallinder - decent player, good coaching experience in England. He's got to be in with a shout. As for forwards coach - Trevor Woodman has a good track record over the last ten plus years. I'd like to see him in the mix...

I was listening to Mark Cueto on the TV this morning and he quite rightly pointed out the inconsistencies of Lancasters selection since his appointment like he said has he ever picked the same team on two occasions? and another thing you need a more competitive backrow I think you have excellent halfbacks I'm a Ford fan myself but Farrel is a great bench option to have, you also need creativity in your mid field I would lose Barratt and Burgess not good enough you need another Greenwood or Mike Catt wearing the 12 and 13 shirt.

I've just read some good jokes made by Aussies: :D

Classic English Rugby World Cup Joke

Question:
What do you call an Englishman with the World Cup in his hands?

Answer:
The Engraver.

Classic English Rugby World Cup Joke

Question:
What do you call an Englishman in a Rugby World Cup Quarter Final?

Answer:
The Referee.

Ah! but when, Joe? I'm getting old and despair is creeping in. The only glimpse I've seen in the Premiership of a change to running rugby is when Bath took Tigers trousers down in the quarter finals last year.

I'm glad us going out makes some of the people from England's third world satellite nations feel all warm in their tummies, bless their heads.

Like a ginger, pale step-brother beating you at kirby. You have to feel happy for the goofy-looking fucker but deep down he knows it's only a matter of time before you pull his trousers down in front of the whole school.
I'm wondering if anyone else got an image of Neil Kinnock straight away.
As always Vinny, straight to the point and devastatingly accurate.

Rob I'm thinking even uglier more like Kinnocks love child Ed Sheeran Man that Boy was really hit hard with the ugly stick when he was a Baby, he could challenge Nobby Stiles or Peter Beardsley in the ugly stakes.

Last edited:
Ah! but when, Joe? I'm getting old and despair is creeping in. The only glimpse I've seen in the Premiership of a change to running rugby is when Bath took Tigers trousers down in the quarter finals last year.
It's not all about running. Which international team kicks more than any other - New Zealand. They kick well - either field position, or they use the ball well when it comes back to them.
Running rugby is all very well and entertaining, but you don't get points for artistic merit.

You're right! Points come from getting the ball wide down a running line and then supporting the winger. How many times do we see England either pass accurately to a stationery player or behind a moving player? How often do we see England with anything resembling an attacking line instead if a gaggle of forwards waiting to crash down the middle? How often do we see England run straight and passing out instead of running obliquely out to the wing or back inside to the traffic?

All Blacks kick and chase, not kick and wait for it to come back to them.

But you are right! It's not all about running - just that England need to do a lot more of it! Well, when they get another game, they do.

You're right! Points come from getting the ball wide down a running line and then supporting the winger. How many times do we see England either pass accurately to a stationery player or behind a moving player? How often do we see England with anything resembling an attacking line instead if a gaggle of forwards waiting to crash down the middle? How often do we see England run straight and passing out instead of running obliquely out to the wing or back inside to the traffic?

All Blacks kick and chase, not kick and wait for it to come back to them.

But you are right! It's not all about running - just that England need to do a lot more of it! Well, when they get another game, they do.

I mentioned this the other day, I was always taught when playing rugby that the attacking line is a huge angled one to allow the player to run on to the ball and the defensive line was straight. All I see from England is a flat straight line no matter whether attacking or defending?

There does seem to be a whole lot of passes behind a missed runner too, thought that was penalised not that many years ago as obscuring and crossing?

I always used to enjoy the French way of rugby, when playing cohesively and properly of course, a free flowing running game with kick and chase and not kicking for territory. Passing the ball about and not getting bogged down with one area of the pitch, switching it from line to line, wing to wing and running at people.

Back
Top Bottom