Rugby World Cup.. thoughts

I'm getting into baseball in a strange kinda way! Some of the plays flummox me though.......why 'bunt' a ball when surely you should whack it as hard as you can? And why have a batting average system where perfection in batting is shown as the number 'one'.

I think I can take a punt at answering that as I've watched Moneyball a few times, run accumulation isn't just about hitting home runs it's also about getting the boys home that are stacked on the bases. What a carefully placed bunt does is draw in the outfield allowing stacked players to advance or come home. Statistically 100% = 1 = perfect outcome just as 50% = 0.5 and 25% = 0.25 etc.

Last edited:
Just pondering the fact that Japan won three games yet are still out of the competition - their epic win against SA on the Saturday was followed by playing Scotland on the following Wednesday - it was the Scot's first match and ended with them winning by 45 - 10. You can't help wondering whether a few days additional rest might have had a significant impact on the result. Even a closer result without Scotland getting the bonus could have led to the Japanese match against US yesterday being played in a completely different light if a winning bonus would have sent them through.

I think I can take a punt at answering that as I've watched Moneyball a few times, run accumulation isn't just about hitting home-runs it's about getting the boys home that are stacked on the bases. What a carefully placed bunt does is draw the outfield in allowing players to advance along the bases or come home.

Hiya doin Tony,

You are exactly right about moving the runner along and getting to the next base and how a bunt is done and why. Some other reasons as well but that's the most common one. Actually, one of the most exciting and gutsy plays in baseball is what's called a 'suicide squeeze'.

Tights are a must....it allows for the cones, dogs, corn and soda.

Sweat pants with elastic waistbands Tony,

Heh, back in 1998 I was still a Cubs fan and would go to the games, including a playoff one. Pitchers can be amazingly outta shape looking but can still somehow be real effective and one of those types named Rod Beck was the closer for the Cubs. He would come into the game late for 1-2 innings when the team was winning, in order to protect the few run lead. Often described as a big tub of goo, the guy saved over 50 games that year. Sigh, I saw him give up a grand slam in that year's playoff game, which finally made me not a fan anymore. Maybe I will mention being at the first night game back in 1988. Yep, before then no lights at Wrigley Field. Pretty nuts to go that long without em.

Y'all wanna read something nasty, search for the various crazy food items being offered in some ball parks. Some with two bazillion calories.

I went to a game last year because I wanted to see the other team play and catch Jeter before he retired after the season ended. I like to stand around outside before going in and see the crowd and what's going on nearby. This field is in a very congested business/residential area and plenty of bars around.

Anyway, I was near an entrance and a heavy guy walked up with his ticket ready to have his quick security inspection. There's a local fast food slushy sorta drink that weighs 60 something ounces and he had what looked to be the supersized version of that. I bet that thing was 5 pounds at least and it was full of sugary half froze soda. You could tell it was gonna be his pacifier during the game.

Security guard informed him that a new regulation prohibited any kinda open container being allowed in and the guy was bummed. Heh, tried drinking as much as possible but finally gave up and left it on the table outside. Poor female security person needed two hands moving it.

Montel

Last edited:
Why not just start a new thread about baseball? In fairness, I don't see the point of baseball discussion in a Rugby World Cup thread.

Why not just start a new thread about baseball? In fairness, I don't see the point of baseball discussion in a Rugby World Cup thread.

Ok, I have gotten DB to stop talking about that sport and cleaned things up a bit. Now it's just rugby stuff for me!

Last edited:
It's been confirmed this morning, Paul O'Connell's Ireland career is over. Such a sad way to end for a guy that is considered a legend of Irish rugby. I'm sure it'll spur on the lads to give it their all in their quarter final against Argentina and whatever might come after that. Can't help but dream of him lifting the Web Ellis trophy... (just a dream mind).

Peter O'Mahoney, another warrior, gone for the tournament too. No word on Johnny Sexton yet and Sean O'Brien looks like he could be in trouble for thumping Pascal Pape in the gut.

Argentina - Ireland is about the only game I can see with a possible upset in this week-ends games. The Pumas might just be too strong for Ireland - I hope I'm wrong because the Ireland - France game was the best in the tournament so far and Ireland played some great rugby. However, just like Wales, their injuries could be a massive factor in the outcome.

Argentina - Ireland is about the only game I can see with a possible upset in this week-ends games

Where potential upsets are concerned, I agree. Argentina are a serious outfit and put in some impressive performances in the group stages, albeit against lesser opponents, the really racked up the scores. The France game took a lot out of Ireland and I'm not sure if we'll be able to match the intensity for a second week in a row. Consistency has dogged Ireland for years.

If Wales beat South Africa I wouldn't see it as an upset. South Africa have proven quiet a bit over the past 12 months that they are beatable -Ireland, Wales, Japan to name a few. For me, this one is a 50-50.

Australia are a cert. If they lose to Scotland I'll eat cardboard for a week.

France v New Zealand - this French team has been poor... but you never, never know when it comes to clashes between these two teams.

Where potential upsets are concerned, I agree. Argentina are a serious outfit and put in some impressive performances in the group stages, albeit against lesser opponents, the really racked up the scores. The France game took a lot out of Ireland and I'm not sure if we'll be able to match the intensity for a second week in a row. Consistency has dogged Ireland for years.

If Wales beat South Africa I wouldn't see it as an upset. South Africa have proven quiet a bit over the past 12 months that they are beatable -Ireland, Wales, Japan to name a few. For me, this one is a 50-50.

Australia are a cert. If they lose to Scotland I'll eat cardboard for a week.

France v New Zealand - this French team has been poor... but you never, never know when it comes to clashes between these two teams.
A very good assessment. I believe the Argies are quite capable of putting on a heroic performance and may surprise us all. Although the Boks are my sentimental favourite, I agree that they are vulnerable to an upset.

Rob I would much prefer to play South Africa than Australia I'm tipping Wales to do the double over them.
As I said Jamie, it's the injuries that may count against Wales. Not just the ones pre and during the tournament, but I noticed on Saturday that Samson Lee popped out of the scrum far too easily - I think he was rushed back into the squad when he's not quite ready. You can be sure SA will have picked up on that. I can see another attritional game with penalties deciding it.
But you could make the same point about both Ireland and Wales in the last 12 months - inconsistency seems to be the norm. Of course Wales could win it - I just don't see them starting as favourites and SA strength in depth could be a big advantage to them. Looking forward to both games though. It took me a few days to get over the disappointment of England going out but I'm up for it again now.

Incidentally, regarding the ongoing debate about whether Burgess should have been selected ahead of Burrell - the day after England lost to Australia I went to the Ricoh Arena where Wasps hosted Northants - Burrell did not look anything other than the fine player he is. Certainly not setting the world on fire.

What a nail biter: The Boks had me choking on my biltong, with their inability to capitalise on their territorial advantage in the second half and their penalty kicks. Have to hand it to Wales though, their defence was brilliant. South Africa will have to up their game if they're to take it all.

Back
Top Bottom