Rugby World Cup.. thoughts

jds

For what it's worth I think Englad will struggle. For this group of players I think it is a World Cup too early. There is some talent, but not enough experience and I fear that the pack is not quite as good as it thinks.
It's difficult to see beyond NZ as eventual winners, especially as they got the monkey of their back in 2011 (with the referee's help). The games between England, Wales and Australia in the group phases will be some rare old tussles methinks. It's going to be incredibly close as to who does not make it out of the group phase.
Bring it on!!

As a Welshman I'm quietly confident I have faith in Gatland and the coaching staff, there's no doubting that group is the toughest group of any world cup, I'm looking forward to the opening game England v Fiji especially as Fiji have already beaten Samoa to be crowned the Pacific champions.

Last edited:
Not sure about the two hookers... can't help thinking that there is an agenda there. All teams should be made to include 3 hookers. The thought od uncontested scrums on the biggest stage the game has ever seen seems slightly farcical and makes me pretty darned annoyed. I see that Australia have done it too... go figure

I don't remember the last time I saw a hooker actually hooking a ball. Bring back straight balls into scrums please.

Australia have also picked two hookers I think Gat's realised that If the two hookers get injured the scrums will go to non contested which is OK for Wales and Australia there are no IRB rules saying you must include three hookers in your squad so you just play the rules.

When it comes to England, they seem to have more trouble with S.Africa than any other southern hemisphere side - not sure what the combinations are in terms of them meeting but they are a concern for me.

Other than that, NZ are favourites but I sense a bit of weakness that wasn't there a couple of seasons ago. Depending on how the refereeing goes will also dictate how much they get away with at the breakdown. Australia seem to be coming good at the wrong time as far as England and Wales are concerned - my prediction is that home advantage will see England get out of the group at the expense of Wales.

Edit - going back to Jamie's point about the tough group, it shows just how ridiculous it was in deciding the make up of the groups as such an early stage and based on world rankings back then. The authorities have recognised that now and will not make the draw anywhere near as early in future competitions.

Last edited:
Wales have put a very strong team out you will see a very high scoring game, and the weather looks great and Cardiff is such a great city.
To be perfectly honest fella, the true reason we are going is that the Mrs wants to be in the Mil. stadium for the Welsh National Anthem. Which may be one of the dumbest reasons of all for going.

Heart says England to get to the final but lose. Head says no further than 1/4's. The team is young, hasn't had time to gel properly and is inexperienced on the big stage.

That said, glad to see a Saracens player in each position. Very happy indeed with that.

I don't remember the last time I saw a hooker actually hooking a ball. Bring back straight balls into scrums please.

Unfortunately the act of hooking sacrifices a man shoving so you won't see it again unless the scrum becomes uncontested as it is in rugby league.

Ouch for Wales - two men down. That's not good. England were typically English and butchered far too many opportunities. OKM vs a below par Ireland - will get punished vs better teams.
Good to see Launchbury back - I just hope he is fit enough.

I'm not so sure it was a below par Ireland. Given that it's the last game before the competition starts I thought both sides played as if the result meant a lot to them - which on the back of defeats in previous games - both teams wanted the win.

If anything, England's ability to deal with the high ball meant that they nullified a lot of Ireland's threat. A couple of butchered overlaps and the forward pass made the score closer than the game was in reality. But as people have pointed out in the press already, it's better to not convert chances than not be creating chances.

Have to feel sorry for Leigh Halfpenny - one of the few northern hemisphere players who would get into a world XV. He's probably at the height of his game now but will have to go another four years for a chance.

Yeah shame about Leigh Halfpenny and Rhys Webb two world class backs, but in Wales the player all the experts and fans would prefer to see at fullback is Liam Williams, he's an entirely different player to Halfpenny he's a out and out attacking fullback great tackler fantastic under the high ball with absolute flair, most Welsh fans would agree it's sad to lose Halfpenny although many are now pleased that we will be playing England with a all out attacking fullback, he's not the type of player you want to kick much ball to unless you close him down quickly.

Back
Top Bottom