Rugby World Cup.. thoughts

Scotland should be in the semis - fact. Referee made a total James Hunt of it. So much for the vaunted Aussies....

Gee whizz, didn't the Irish get emptied and as for the French.....oof!

I thought it was knock on Scotland and accidental offside. Scrum Australia.

Anyway... it's done. Super effort from Scotland and a performance from Australia probably thinking they just had to show up.

At the end of the day you can blame the referee or the coach, or the conditions favouring the opposition, or injuries, or the fact that the competition came at the wrong time - despite it being played every 4 years, or the fact that your national association is piss poor. The best 4 teams are in the semis - so lets have no more shite about northern hemisphere teams.

Shut it, auld yin! We wuz robbed, right. Robbed by a (phrase of the week, take a bow Mr Brownington) complete and utter arse thundering cockwomble. Sounds like a Vinny quote......

P.S. only kidding, Rob, it's just that matron hasn't been round with my pills and she missed my cavity search this morning which I do so look forward to...:rolleyes:o_O:eek:

Which anthems will be missed? For me, I will not miss 'God Save The Queen' - it needs to be replaced by something specific for England and not 'Jerusalem' either. Similarly, 'Flower of Scotland' is more of a dirge than something that rouses the spirits - so good riddance. Ireland's anthem doesn't inspire a great deal - I much prefer the crowd's choice of 'Fields of Athlone'. The Welsh anthem is fine - although again, Bread of Heaven' appears to be more popular during the game. For me, the only anthem I really enjoy listening to is the French - it's catchy, jaunty and in the range that I could sing along to, if I knew the words.

So what I'm proposing is that England use the same tune as the Marseillaise but with different words. I'm sure that would go down well with the French nation and help build a d'accord with them. You never know, they might even allow us to keep a bit more of our own money instead of supporting their antiquated farming system.

Which anthems will be missed? For me, I will not miss 'God Save The Queen' - it needs to be replaced by something specific for England and not 'Jerusalem' either. Similarly, 'Flower of Scotland' is more of a dirge than something that rouses the spirits - so good riddance. Ireland's anthem doesn't inspire a great deal - I much prefer the crowd's choice of 'Fields of Athlone'. The Welsh anthem is fine - although again, Bread of Heaven' appears to be more popular during the game. For me, the only anthem I really enjoy listening to is the French - it's catchy, jaunty and in the range that I could sing along to, if I knew the words.

So what I'm proposing is that England use the same tune as the Marseillaise but with different words. I'm sure that would go down well with the French nation and help build a d'accord with them. You never know, they might even allow us to keep a bit more of our own money instead of supporting their antiquated farming system.
I think I might know the words to that... All singalong..

"A Frenchman went to the lavatory
For to have a jolly good........."

I think I might know the words to that... All singalong..

"A Frenchman went to the lavatory
For to have a jolly good........."
No, no Jon - I didn't know there was an alternative version. It's just the very catchy tune that I like. There's nothing wrong with more than one nation using a tune - one of those mini European states uses the tune to God Save the Queen don't they?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I for one would miss God Save the Queen terribly as it stirs something deep inside me just as Land of Hope and Glory does. I also love Jerusalem, Orb and Sceptre, Crown Imperial but my favourite is I Vow to Thee My Country. Enough to bring a grown man to his knees so have this one on me, sung by an angel:

Rob, you'd have to be a Scotsman to understand or rather feel what Flower of Scotland does to a body. It riles you up like no other. Anything Welsh is usually good to my ears and Bread of Heaven certainly hits the spot. However, yon French ditty is parlour music and only fit to be derided by alternative words ala JDS. The Italian one is better but still, nothing hits the spot like our own, British tunes.

I think that all you need is love...

Back
Top Bottom