Rugby World Cup.. thoughts

If you'd asked me at the start which two teams I would least like to win it then it would have to be A. Wallybabies, B. Don't cry for me.....

All Blacks to win for me.

Last edited:
Happy that the Boks won, but I was disappointed that they didn't score 40 points. Most disappointed by their letting the Argies score a try after 80 minutes; I was pretty certain that the Argies would be shut out of tries when the going got tough. I'll be a bit more relaxed tomorrow, but I hope the Kiwis win as they are the better team.

PS, Graeme I like the name Wallybabies; seems appropriate.

Didn't realise till reading the paper this morning that both teams have lost just once in 2015 - to each other, they are ranked 1 and 2 in the world - couldn't be much better for them to be in the final really.

And despite a bit of moaning about ticket prices, the games have generally been sold out and established record attendances overall. I think the organisers have a right to be proud of their efforts.

That break away try was very tough on Australia and in the end events and the odd decision conspired against them a bit. I don't care about teams being magnanimous in defeat or victory the AB's should have been down to 13 and a penalty awarded against them, quite a mistake by the normally impeccable Jones.

That break away try was very tough on Australia and in the end events and the odd decision conspired against them a bit. I don't care about teams being magnanimous in defeat or victory the AB's should have been down to 13 and a penalty awarded against them, quite a mistake by the normally impeccable Jones.
But then the Aussies never had the possession that the AB's did and shouldn't have even been there given World Rugby's statement that the penalty against Scotland should never have been given. Swings and roundabouts - ultimately they lacked the class NZ had. And they lacked a certain Dan Carter too. Right team won.

I came to much the same conclusion - a forward pass that wasn't spotted and led to a NZ penalty that meant Australia were chasing the game. At 21-3 NZ took their foot off the gas and all of a sudden it's 21-17 and game on. I don't think the refereeing mistakes meant the result was wrong, just as in the Scotland game - but you can't have your cake and eat it - as the saying goes.

Of course I'm agreeing with you, Rob! It was a great series! There is no justification needed for me mentioning a fact of which the organisers are very proud. They made huge profits and yes, ticket prices were high.

On a tangent, I wouldn't like to see professional rugby going the way of soccer and FIFA.

Of course I'm agreeing with you, Rob! It was a great series! There is no justification needed for me mentioning a fact of which the organisers are very proud. They made huge profits and yes, ticket prices were high.

On a tangent, I wouldn't like to see professional rugby going the way of soccer and FIFA.
Much as I don't want to be drawn into this - I just can't resist. Whatever profits are mad from the competition, I feel confident that they will mostly find their way back into the game in terms of grants, better facilities, improved coaching, subsidised kits and a hundred other ways that I don't know about.

Whether you intended it or not, I can't help thinking that your comments carry a degree of cynicism that is not justified.

Back
Top Bottom