Rugby World Cup.. thoughts

Tonights the big one, I hope the Aussies beat England as this will mean Wales are automatically through but I wouldn't bet against England losing, looking back over the group I feel sorry for Fiji especially looking at the three other groups I'm sure they could have had a chance of qualifying had they been in another group, sad fact whoever goes out from England Wales or Australia the competition is losing a genuine quarter finalist.

Last edited:
Must disagree with you there, Jamie. Can't stand the Aussies in any sporting scenario and hope they get right royally stuffed. Swing Low, Sweet Chariot.....

Come on England!!!

NZ didn't look very good against Georgia today. Many, many errors and sloppy play; they'll have to pull up their socks if they expect to take it all. Georgia, on the other hand, played their hearts out.
Indeed! So many unforced handling errors, it was NOT a quality All Blacks side at all. Georgia on the other hand had great line speed, superb scrummaging technique, great defense...the scoreline did not reflect how well they played. Gorgodze getting man of the match did however....and his reaction was truly great, so humble.

As for tonights game? It's too close to call. If (and it's a big if) England come out focused and can handle the pressure, there is no reason not to win by 10 points or more. Heart says it's going to be much closer than that though. Scrape through by max of 3 points. Jon Jo will make a big difference in midfield, Mike Brown will be crucial in the backline, he needs to keep his head. Set piece is vital, we must dominate the scrum and line out to force the Australians into making mistakes, and to assert pressure where we can.

Englands illegal scrum was finally found out there was much debate and analysis in Wales since the game, the Aussies looked at the Wales game and pointed out to Roman Poite that Marler was illegally boring in on the tigthead prop making it impossible for the scrum to set and scrummage squarely, that will finally alert every referee and all teams now should get clarification before every game that Marler needs to be monitored, and England needs a new captain and two flankers.

I bollixed my recording setting and so I've only seen the first half - which was enough to know the result. I'm guessing the Aussies got a bonus point?

If only that was all England needs, Jamie! Over and over, there was a gaggle of white shirts in the centre facing a line of gold and green stretching out to the touch lines. January rugby in October facing a running team. Will this humiliation be enough to shock England into learning to play international rugby? Get Johnno in as coach! What's Neil Back doing these days?

All I can say after last night is thank jeebus I'm not a big fan of egg chasing.

They seems to be following the England football teams lead is big tournament disappointment.

I'm not saying a thing. I'd be less crushed if the Tower of London had fallen upon my barnet in one fell swoop.

Wise money on Aus for the win. NZ looking like they are lacking discipline and basic handling skills, SA looking not entirely cohesive as a team, whereas the Aussies....looking like winners to me.

I bollixed my recording setting and so I've only seen the first half - which was enough to know the result. I'm guessing the Aussies got a bonus point?

If only that was all England needs, Jamie! Over and over, there was a gaggle of white shirts in the centre facing a line of gold and green stretching out to the touch lines. January rugby in October facing a running team. Will this humiliation be enough to shock England into learning to play international rugby? Get Johnno in as coach! What's Neil Back doing these days?
Please not Neil Back - his coaching record doesn't bear up to much scrutiny. It's a valid question though - if not Lancaster (who, by the way, I admire as honest, open and thoroughly likeable chap) then who. I don't see anyone in the English game as being up to the job, and I'm not sure who would want to take it. Nick Mallett maybe?
England were overwhelmed by an Australia team who played a superb game. Sometimes it happens that way. RFU now needs to be decisive and get a new coaching and management team sorted in time for the 6N so we can start to build for 2019. I believe we have a core of players who are young and talented enough to really challenge next time around. We need to find a viable openside who can secure quick ball and snaffle turnovers - that's what hurt us the most on Saturday, the way Oz slowed the ball down or stole it at the breakdown.
England's most disappointing performance at RWC since losing to Wales in the quarter finals in 1987. A loss not made any easier by the fact that I was seeing a Welsh girl at the time.

Back
Top Bottom