Rugby World Cup.. thoughts

That was a very tough ertremely hard faught game, I never had any problems about losing Halfpenny as I knew Dan Biggar is one of the best kicking 10 in world rugby, I thought Jamie Roberts kept Burgess very quite so much so you hardly saw him during the whole game, what I've said from day one and I still think it England Wales and Australia should have never been all in the same group because those teams are effectively three quarter finalists it's poor planning by the RWC so much so they have actually change the rules before the next world cup so it doesn't happen again.

Last edited:
Why on earth the ball didn't get played off the top of that last line out I do not know, make a drive for the line nearer the posts....beggars belief. That said, we should not have given away so many ridiculous penalties. Credit to Wales for digging in deep when needed and grinding out the win.

It was quite shocking to see how the Welsh team went down like flies by way of injury.

Well you cannot argue with the result, so the best team won. That said, it was bloody awful! Having been brought up only needing 13 to play rugby, this game with its relentless kicking backwards and forwards was a real turn off.

Still, the main event.......Ireland tonight:D:D:D
I'm not sure I agree that the best side won, but Wales deserved to win and England deserved to lose. I've said it all along this England side will peak at the next World Cup. I believe they have a group with real talent, but not sufficient experience. When all said and done they can still win the group although unlikely. Wales did all they could, never give up, keep fighting and then take the one try chance they had.
Onwards and upwards!

January rugby played in September! When will they learn a different style? Tigers are the same. Running rugby is gonna slaughter them! Am I speaking of Wales or England?

England have a very good squad, but they desperately need to find more creativity in midfield another Mike Catt or a Will Geenwood every top ten team don't play two big smashers like Barratt and Burgess that will never work, England v Australia could be another classic because the Aussies are looking sharp and slick they have always been the number one side for creative play more individual than New Zealand or South Africa, I'll be watching that game with extreme interest. PS my own view would be to play Farrell at 13 with Ford at 10.

England have a very good squad, but they desperately need to find more creativity in midfield another Mike Catt or a Will Geenwood every top ten team don't play two big smashers like Barratt and Burgess that will never work, England v Australia could be another classic because the Aussies are looking sharp and slick they have always been the number one side for creative play more individual than New Zealand or South Africa, I'll be watching that game with extreme interest. PS my own view would be to play Farrell at 13 with Ford at 10.

Whilst I can't knock George Fords kicking ability and creative thinking, he cannot take the hits at 10 that Farrell seems to take. Granted, Ford is a cooler head on wiser shoulders, so perhaps that would be in his favour.

Speaking of Mike Catt, was interesting seeing him as the water guy...I double took for a while before realising who it was.

Apart from the occasional Ashes series, it's pretty tough following any of the major English teams. Although I agree with Jon that this world cup came about 2 years early for England's RU squad - I've found myself thinking that about both football and cricket over the last 30 years or so. It's the inconsistency and failure to maximise potential that the hardest part to bear.

Back
Top Bottom