Closed Pass Around - Feather AS-D2 - COMPLETE

" I won the WS-D1S in the raffle! "

Well done! It's conventional to say "Enjoy!" But I suspect you don't need any encouragement to enjoy it.

As you know I bought an AS-D2 for no other reason than I took a fancy to it...and am pleased to own it, despite sometimes experiencing the sensation that I forgot to put a blade in it.

However today I got my grubby mitts on the Wolfman. And have just used it for the first time. I see you're next in line. I'll say no more on this topic here except to say....I think you'll like it.

" I won the WS-D1S in the raffle! "

Well done! It's conventional to say "Enjoy!" But I suspect you don't need any encouragement to enjoy it.

As you know I bought an AS-D2 for no other reason than I took a fancy to it...and am pleased to own it, despite sometimes experiencing the sensation that I forgot to put a blade in it.

However today I got my grubby mitts on the Wolfman. And have just used it for the first time. I see you're next in line. I'll say no more on this topic here except to say....I think you'll like it.
I'll suggest it as a raffle prize then :D

OK first shave with the Feather AS-D2 with 36 hours stubble, using a Feather blade.

First off I gorra explain how my first shave with a new razor goes. I throw caution to the wind and go hell bent for the perfect shave. Nowt less than BBS or as close as I can get, will do. Then I consider the damage done to my face by the razor. Then I decide if it's a worthwhile razor. Evaluation complete. That might sound a bit reckless but so what. Some folks only eat kebabs when they're drunk.

So the shave...Outstanding. Effortless, crisp smooth and close. I like mild razors and I like this one. Goes without saying I'm gonna think of Techs here. The problem is which Tech??? Not all Techs are created equal and I've shaved with all the most common ones except the Canadian Pre war Tech.

To me the Feather feels as comfortable and as mild on the skin as the English post war ball end Tech. The all brass one. The Feather is less mild though I think. BBS with less effort. My English flat bottom is certainly more aggressive than the Feather but just as smooth. Just to throw in a wild card...I tried to shave my head with the Feather the other night with a weeks growth, and it just really struggled on the first pass. I gave up and used the Fatip. I once had a late model all aluminium Tech which easy coped with a weeks head hair. Make sense of that if ya can. Anyway enough of Tech comparisons. I'd think Tech fans would love the AS-D2.

Back to the Feather AS-D2. Construction and finish are outstanding. Dunno why some folks seem to regard sintering as maybe inferior. This razor makes the Mongoose look basic by comparison. To my hand the weight is excellent and the handle suits the head. This surprises me as I like the weight of brass and always thought of stainless as totally unnecessary for a razor. It IS unnecessary but this is a fine razor I could use every day with no problems.

Is it mild? Yes. Is it efficient? Yes. Is it smooooth? Oh yes. Is it a winner? Oh yes. Would I buy one?
Hey I wouldn't pay £120 for any razor but that's just me. If this cost £30 I'd have one in my bathroom and that's praise indeed cuz a good condition English flat bottom Tech can be had on the Bay for a tenner. Yup the AS-D2 really is that good.

I'll have a few more shaves with it and pass it on next week.

OK first shave with the Feather AS-D2 with 36 hours stubble, using a Feather blade.

First off I gorra explain how my first shave with a new razor goes. I throw caution to the wind and go hell bent for the perfect shave. Nowt less than BBS or as close as I can get, will do. Then I consider the damage done to my face by the razor. Then I decide if it's a worthwhile razor. Evaluation complete. That might sound a bit reckless but so what. Some folks only eat kebabs when they're drunk.

So the shave...Outstanding. Effortless, crisp smooth and close. I like mild razors and I like this one. Goes without saying I'm gonna think of Techs here. The problem is which Tech??? Not all Techs are created equal and I've shaved with all the most common ones except the Canadian Pre war Tech.

To me the Feather feels as comfortable and as mild on the skin as the English post war ball end Tech. The all brass one. The Feather is less mild though I think. BBS with less effort. My English flat bottom is certainly more aggressive than the Feather but just as smooth. Just to throw in a wild card...I tried to shave my head with the Feather the other night with a weeks growth, and it just really struggled on the first pass. I gave up and used the Fatip. I once had a late model all aluminium Tech which easy coped with a weeks head hair. Make sense of that if ya can. Anyway enough of Tech comparisons. I'd think Tech fans would love the AS-D2.

Back to the Feather AS-D2. Construction and finish are outstanding. Dunno why some folks seem to regard sintering as maybe inferior. This razor makes the Mongoose look basic by comparison. To my hand the weight is excellent and the handle suits the head. This surprises me as I like the weight of brass and always thought of stainless as totally unnecessary for a razor. It IS unnecessary but this is a fine razor I could use every day with no problems.

Is it mild? Yes. Is it efficient? Yes. Is it smooooth? Oh yes. Is it a winner? Oh yes. Would I buy one?
Hey I wouldn't pay £120 for any razor but that's just me. If this cost £30 I'd have one in my bathroom and that's praise indeed cuz a good condition English flat bottom Tech can be had on the Bay for a tenner. Yup the AS-D2 really is that good.

I'll have a few more shaves with it and pass it on next week.
Nice write up Sir...o_O

Billy

Had a shave tonight using a Polsilver SI.
Nice and close and comfortable.
I'll get it off to Paul when I get his address.
Thanks for the chance to try it Martin.

th

Paul the razor is in the post. Special delivery with the obligatory mutterings of delivery by 1pm tomorrow.

Nothing else to add to the review really except maybe one thing. I like Feather blades and they work great in the AS-D2 but I preferred the Polsilver SI in It. They worked as well as Feather blades but felt more comfortable.

Thanks again Martin.

Reactions: p.b
Oh dear. I need to lock my credit cards away. What with 2.. no 3 LE brushes, 6 single malts, a DSLR. I have only gone and got me a feather from amazon.com for $130. Bargain. In no rush for it so getting it delivered to my sister in law who is coming to visit next summer.

Oh dear. I need to lock my credit cards away. What with 2.. no 3 LE brushes, 6 single malts, a DSLR. I have only gone and got me a feather from amazon.com for $130. Bargain. In no rush for it so getting it delivered to my sister in law who is coming to visit next summer.
That's a bargain. Not sure for how long but the AS-D2 is about £108 incl. shipping and import fees on amazon.com...
Might be a black Friday thing...

Back
Top Bottom