Closed Pass Around - Feather AS-D2 - COMPLETE

How are you getting on with the AS-D2 Paul @p.b?
Rather well actually.
I don't usually post with first impressions but seeing as you asked:
Easily the best finished / engineered razor I've held - it reminds me of Lexus. The handle is thinner and longer than my usual preference but I think the thinner handle encourages a lighter touch. And I like the low-profile head.
So far I've used it with a Gillette Silver Blue (my favourite blade) and a Polsilver because someone said they work well in this razor and I like them too. This morning shave will be with a Gillette Thin which I don't like very much and won't buy again but it'll be interesting to see how the razor tames / influences it. Tomorrow I'll use a Feather and then Monday I'll shim it to see how that changes it.

For a normal shave with my Weber or Digress I'll usually do WTG, XTG, XTG the other way but ATG on my neck, and any buffing which achieves a DFS and often a BBS. Usually I'll avoid ATG as the risk of a cut isn't worth the minor improvement in closeness. As it is such a mild razor I'm running ATG on my second pass with another ATG on my third pass in a slightly different direction. Paying close attention to angle and maintaining that angle round the contours of my face means I'll get an excellent shave.

The finickiness of the PILS with regard to the correct angle irritated me and my conclusion was I have razors which do an equally good job with far less effort. For some reason I don't resent the extra effort the Feather requires and I enjoy using it far more. Maybe because it better balanced or it might be the aesthetics, but I find using this more satisfying. On the down side the stubble comes back quicker than any other razor I currently own.

I'll see how I feel about this razor on Monday.

Thanks again Martin. Paul

http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/com...ay-4th-december-2015.34852/page-2#post-484968

On Saturday I used a Gillette Super Thin. I find them a lot like Feathers: sharp but rough. It was an exceptionally close shave after 1x WTG; 2xATG and lots of buffing. And when I shaved again 24 hours later I was still impressively close shaven. A bit tender though and that is not usual for me, however, I rarely need that much buffing.

Today, Sunday, I used the Feather. I can only repeat what's been reported on forums many, many times: Feather DE blades in Feather DE razors are a match made in heaven. If there's anyone after me in the passaround who doesn't have a Feather DE blade then order some now. I would include some but I have just one left and I need that.

In this razor the blade actually feels smooth - not some thing I've ever thought of a Feather DE blade before! However, this razor is so dependent on technique that not matter how sharp the blade if there's insufficient contact it's not going to cut so close so any lack of precision in adjusting the angle around my face results in missed stubble. Again my shave was 1x WTG; 2x ATG and buffing. I can't remember the last time I had so much ASL sting - this was a close but harsh shave.

Tomorrow, assuming my face feels up to it, will be with a Personna Super (always sharp and always smooth) and 1x shim.

Paul

http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/com...ay-4th-december-2015.34852/page-2#post-484968

On Saturday I used a Gillette Super Thin. I find them a lot like Feathers: sharp but rough. It was an exceptionally close shave after 1x WTG; 2xATG and lots of buffing. And when I shaved again 24 hours later I was still impressively close shaven. A bit tender though and that is not usual for me, however, I rarely need that much buffing.

Today, Sunday, I used the Feather. I can only repeat what's been reported on forums many, many times: Feather DE blades in Feather DE razors are a match made in heaven. If there's anyone after me in the passaround who doesn't have a Feather DE blade then order some now. I would include some but I have just one left and I need that.

In this razor the blade actually feels smooth - not some thing I've ever thought of a Feather DE blade before! However, this razor is so dependent on technique that not matter how sharp the blade if there's insufficient contact it's not going to cut so close so any lack of precision in adjusting the angle around my face results in missed stubble. Again my shave was 1x WTG; 2x ATG and buffing. I can't remember the last time I had so much ASL sting - this was a close but harsh shave.

Tomorrow, assuming my face feels up to it, will be with a Personna Super (always sharp and always smooth) and 1x shim.

Paul
Very interesting Paul. I hate Feathers every razor I've tried the in, they jut feel rough and scratchy... I think, I have one remaining feather though to try...

This morning I had relatively little stubble to shave so I figured that a shimmed razor wouldn't really be much of a test, so I used it with a Personna Med unshimmed. Lovely shave but I stuck to just WTG and 2x XTG. Not a bad shave but not very close. Tomorrow's shave will be with the same blade but shimmed to make it more interesting.

Tuesday and Wednesday were the same for the razor: Personna Super Meds and a shim. This produced a nice, comfortable shave without the need to too much buffing. That produced a nice shave, not earth-shattering, not the closest but pleasing. This morning I'll use my Weber with a Gillette Silver Blue. I expect a better shave to be honest.

A couple of years ago I remember responding to a thread along the lines of 'what shaving product would you most like to see produced'. My response was an adjustable, stainless steel razor made by Feather. Based on my experience with this lovely, but too mild razor, that is the razor I'd like to see come to market, it would be near perfect.

The razor is now with the Royal Mail winging it's way to Rowlers. Thanks once again to Martin for offering this razor on pass-around. It's been a great experience. Paul

Now then, where to start....
First shave with the password Feather.
Loaded up my very last Feather blade...
Wow does the razor tame the blade, it felt almost smooth!
The razor is seriously mild but after 2 passes and a few touch ups I have a great shave! Lots of weepers though - these were quickly dealt with by Proraso Gel (awesome stuff!)
Very intuitive to use. Nice feedback too. Would I buy one? Not going on this first shave, but there are more shaves to come!

Thanks Martin!

Lee @rowlers - the second shave with the Feather blade will be a lot easier!

Also, don't fall into the trap of thinking that because it is such a mild razor, that a Feather blade won't cause some collateral damage. It will.

Yes, there are certain blades (inter alia Rapira SSS, Vokshod) that can be whizzed about with a certain degree of abandon but Feather blades always deserve the utmost respect!

That said, definitely, shave #2 and #3 with a Feather blade can be sublime. Don't push for shave #4, the Feather blade is a bin job by then...

Good luck...:)

Second Shave...
Palmolive Stick
Omega 49
Feather
Feather [2]
Barbus AS
Malizia Uomo Vetyver (rather pleasant!)

Feather blades still suck! OK the Feather razor smooths them out and makes them bearable, but I could feel the edge degrading during its second shave. After many touch ups & buffings I've got an OK shave. No weepers this time, but lots of AS sting.
Tomorrow I try a decent blade because the Feather is in the bin!:p

Back
Top Bottom