Closed Pass Around - Feather AS-D2 - COMPLETE

It does tame the feather blade quite well judging by the shave this morning.

I would say although a nice and easy close shave, the stubble has grown back quicker than with previous DEs?
I would say you are right. However, I found that when I paid attention to using a consistent angle of well more than 45 degrees the results got better and lasted longer. However, the results still wouldn't last as long as with the best of my razors, mainly injectors with NOS blades. However, the shaves I had with the AS-D2 were so enjoyable that I can overlook this minor detail. I'd happily have it as one of my regular razors, but not as the only one. I can't think of any razor I'd use exclusively..
Isn't it beautiful though? Did I mention that I like this razor?

3rd shave this morning.

Easy enough to use in that its audible so getting the correct angle is pretty much a given.

Again a very close shave with my usual 2 passes WTG and a ATG / XTG routine so will see if like the last few days the growth comes back as quick.

I've left it out for the wife to use instead of her Futur so will get another impression on this razor.

Final shave today

Calani Oriental Plum
Semogue 2000
Feather ASD2
Astra SP (1)
Witch hazel
Original Astral cream

Couldn't tell the difference between the new Astra and the Feather for the last 2 shaves? Even the wife using the feather blade didn't have an issue with nicks or cuts? It has to be said they've designed this very carefully and thoughtfully to be able to come up with a DE that can almost be used as a cartridge even when packing a Feather blade in it?

Final thoughts and round up tonight when I have more time.

So my time with the Feather has come to an end and waiting on @Neslo to be the next in line.

It's a well made and nice bit of kit as everyone says but I did find it lacks the visual elegance of others and does look a little 'plain' and believe that this is the reason for the branding on the top cap?

Weight is good and feels balanced but the handle is slippery when wet. I found this odd as the knurling is very pronounced and well done, I also found it to be a few mm too long for my liking too.

The shave, now here's the rub, it tames a blade whether this is a good thing or not I don't know, but also found that my stubble would grow back quite quick. Both myself and my wife found you'd have to press a little harder too even with the corrected steeper angle.

DE shaving is all very much YMMV and cost is subjective to everyone but I'd pass on buying the Feather AS D2.

Would I be disappointed if I had it as a gift, no.

Would it be a daily shaver, no

Would I use it for special occasions, probably not unless I had skin irritations and needed a gentle shave.

Strange one this Feather?

Thanks Nico for the opportunity of a lifetime and please don't think I'm knocking it completely.

I can report, for anyone vaguely interested, that theAS-D2 arrived this morning courtesy of DHL and Royal Mail. Pretty quick and efficient sercice from Massdrop and the delivery people (and HM Customs and Excise).

It's all been said. It's everything everyone has agreed upon. Used it the minute it came....had delayed shaving so was in need of a shave. It'll take a little while to get the hang of it...the first shave did, admittedly, leave several bits in need of touching up, so started all over again and got it right this time. Angle, amount of pressure, the number of passes....all need attention.

But it's a keeper. Over the last few days I've accrued a couple of irritation patches for whatever reason so this was just what I needed today - mild yet efficient. Super job and further thanks to Nico.

Second day with my own AS-D2.
Have to admit this morning's shave was disappointing. Usual shower and soaking/preparation etc...couldn't have done eany more. Feather blade on it's second outing. Mild...as was to be expected...but struggled to get the feeling it was cutting close despite several multi directional passes. Dried off and started all over again. Bit better but not wonderful so left it at that. Fortunately this thing is not disposed to giving me irritation so numerous passes are no problem.

Five hours later and I wasn't happy...it felt as though I wanted another shave. So have just been up and had a quick sploosh with warm water, a drop of oil, a spot of Noxzema, left it to soak for a few minutes, new Polsiver blade, warmed the AS-D2 up with hot water in a glass, gave a synthetic Muhle brush a quick wet, lathered up some Stroppe Shop Bay Rum mixed with a little glycerin and a spot of St. James shaving cream (this is often a successful combination). And am now pleased to report a beautufully close and pleasant shave with no nicks or drama.

Whether this means I shall source 100 (or 200) more Polsilvers and will stick to them remains to be seen. But it has shown (me at least) that the Feather blade is not exclusive to the Feather razor and that others will work will in it (perhaps better?)

Being able to shave twice a day with the AS-D2 is a good thing. Innit? ;)
+1 on the PolSilvers. Great blade. I'm down to 20 or so now and can't buy any more right now due to self imposed spending stop. Maybe I'll swap my big stack of Feathers with half the amount of PolSilvers when I run out.
gemstoneshaving are a good source for PolSilvers btw...

Indeed Andreas, I was just looking at their deal on 800 Polsilvers for around £82 post free

If you see better deal (ideally for slightly fewer) let me know.

Razor arrived safely and looking forward to giving it a try this evening. Will post my initial thoughts later. Thanks to Nico for the oppurtunity to try it and thanks to Whosthedaddy for the cream and blades he very kindly enclosed with this beautifully crafted razor.

Back
Top Bottom