Closed Pass Around - Feather AS-D2 - COMPLETE

[Due to technical problems at the time, this post had to be made as several posts. I have now combined all those posts into this one]

Day 5 etc

Another day, different setup. I won't bore you with details. Another great shave.
So here are my final thoughts before I pass it on to @Whosthedaddy
This is a stunning razor. There can be no doubt that it is a well engineered and designed machine. The weight, the balance, the finish - it's just a joy to hold it in your hand. The logo on the head is unnecessary, but it is subtle enough to be ignored.
Now how does it shave? Like nothing else I've tried. It is smooth yet thorough. It doesn't perform best at the normal 30 degree angle. It needs a much larger angle than that. 60 degrees or even more. I'll try and take a picture of the head tomorrow and try to measure the best angle. I usually shave by ear and blade feel and must have gotten the angle right for most of my face. Some areas, like under the chin, weren't as smooth as they could have been until I deliberately used a larger angle there as well. That did it. An extremely close shave all over was the result. Other DE razors give an even closer, longer lasting BBS shave, but only by a small margin.
Is it mild? Oh yes it is mild alright. It is mild in the sense that it won't hurt you. Not even with a Derby blade! That doesn't mean it won't mow down your stubble. Handled correctly it certainly will! I thought the Standard razor was the pinnacle of this kind of razor, but the AS-D2 is in a different league. If you like to feel a blade scraping across your face, this is not the razor for you. It you want an uneventful yet pleasant and close shave you should consider this razor.
Is it worth the money? Well, after a lot of consideration my verdict is...... Yes it is. If I had to pick a razor to replace all others this would be in the final selection. Fortunately that's not how I tick. I like variety.
But I'm going to miss this fantastic razor. I have a strange feeling I might own one of those one day.
Enough ramblings. Thanks Martin for this very generous pass around. The razor is clean and barbicided, ready to go, after I have taken some images of the head.

Andreas

Last edited:
To summarise then. I tried the ASD-D2 thanks to the excellent Pass around and decided I had to have it (albeit primarily coz it was on offer at MD).

And in a week or so I'll get to try the Pils courtesy of another super Pass around by Nico. What is the likelihood of the same thing happening? Fortunately or unfortunately I don't see the Pils on offer at Massdrop....so does this mean I'm excused? Or will it mean anothe £160 down the tubes at Shaving Shack? (Is there anywhere that blokes have been buying it without having to fork out that sum of money?)

Last edited:
Day 6 - There is no Day 6 :(

The AS-D2 is on its way to @Whosthedaddy . Tracking number sent by PM.
Now what to do to fill the void? Schick injector methinks.

Andreas

Edit: After a shave with my N3 injector and a NOS Twin blade the void is truly filled. I now regret not having done a shave off between this and the AS-D2. The Feather wouldn't have had a chance. :D Bloody good razor though. Certainly looks better than a piece of brass with a rubber handle... Now if Feather made an all stainless injector razor...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom