Palmolive Shaving Stick

I have probably used Palmolive shave sticks for 70% of the shaves I've ever had. Brilliant stuff, and I was pretty unhappy when I heard the stories of it's demise. Certainly it vanished from the shelves of my local supermarkets, though the cream didn't, and I switched to that. Last week I was in "Wilco's" and spotted the sticks back on the shelves. I like the cream now, but I still bought four of the sticks - they are great to take with you on your travels.

For some time now various members on here have suspected that items such, for example, Palmolive sticks, go into short supply in various areas and rumours start that they are being discontinued Vlad. Creating, of course, a scramble to snatch up what stock can be found. This is of course just a cynical delusion under which some of us labour. I seem to recall the last Palmolive scare a while ago...

JohnnyO. o/

At 49p a stick there is no need to ever run out of Palmolive. Just buy two/three or more when you see it. It lasts ages anyway. If it was to be discontinued you'd have plenty of time to stock up. My local Asda has loads of it at the moment.

Part of the problem is that a lot of the scents from what I have seen are just, repackageing a dead dog. If the soap itself sucks, put lots of different scents in it. The whole rage is something of a joke.

Theres several American shaving forums that if you speak out against particular soaps you can get banned. If you speak out against a company because it makes you break out in a rash, you can get banned depending on how much that "artisan" company paid that month to be a member on the site.
And in these two American forums, they have a constant soap of the week/month that varies on what the owners store has received. if they get 300 units of a soap that never sells, that suddenly becomes the soap of the day that everyone "needs"

One of the forums was made just as a way for a vendor to get rid of excess stock.

Ive tried razorock classic cream, I get a better s have from Williams.

Seems like this forum is heading the same way.

I like soaps that have a soapy scent. Not hyped cologne like scented stuff that keeps sticking to you after your shave. If I want to wear a lasting scent, then I'll put on a cologne thank you.

Palmolive is good, as are several other drugstore soaps.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Tried Palmolive this evening for the first time, I was in Tesco's earlier so bought a couple of soap sticks and a tube of cream. I went for the cream first, scent is inoffensive enough & it lathered quickly but there is a distinct lack of a certain luxury feeling I get when using something like Tabac or even Speick.

Is it good value? Hell yes.
Would I buy it again? Probably not, I'd rather pay the extra for that last bit of performance.

Tried Palmolive this evening for the first time, I was in Tesco's earlier so bought a couple of soap sticks and a tube of cream. I went for the cream first, scent is inoffensive enough & it lathered quickly but there is a distinct lack of a certain luxury feeling I get when using something like Tabac or even Speick.

Is it good value? Hell yes.
Would I buy it again? Probably not, I'd rather pay the extra for that last bit of performance.
G'day Rohleder,

Is it perhaps because this soap stick is so cheap that you felt the lack of luxury? the German made one I use gives me as good a lather as my Speick stick (yet to try the Aussie made Palmolive which is cheap as here).

Greetings

Interesting how this old thread has somehow come to life again, or never quite gone away. Anyway my local Tesco's have never restocked with Palmolive sticks or cream but I noticed the other day when in my nearest really large branch of Tesco that both were still on sale so it would seem they are here to stay. My local Tesco has now also pulled the re-branded Personna DE blades they used to stock and the Wilkinson brushes so they now carry zero traditional wet shaving products!

If traditional wet shaving is on the ascendency the message has yet to reach here!

Regards
Dick.

I looked in my local morrisons the other day - plenty of palmolive cream, but soap sticks seems to have gone. The sticks are however in wilkos!

G'day Rohleder,

Is it perhaps because this soap stick is so cheap that you felt the lack of luxury? the German made one I use gives me as good a lather as my Speick stick (yet to try the Aussie made Palmolive which is cheap as here).

I've not tried the stick yet, only the cream. I'll report back when I have though... Regardless, you may well be on the correct train of thought - It never ceases to surprise me how our subconscious can have such a huge effect on our perceptions.

Reading this thread reminded me of a complaint back in the day about record albums. We in North America would pay top dollar for Brit, German or Japanese pressings, feeling they were superior. Europeans would prefer North American product over their "naff" domestics. The choice of soaps available in simple shops in Europe far outweighs what is available in equivalent shops on this side of the pond. Palmolive sticks? Over here, Palmolive is mainly a liquid dish soap. Even with my rudimentary grasp of the exchange rate, what's being charged for Palmolive soap, even if it's being "discontinued" is a steal. Paying two bucks for an Arko stick purchased through Amazon is a greater value compared to the inevitable disappointment when strolling through what's laughably called the men's section at the local drug store. I could be wrong, but in this case I feel the grass is always greener on the other side.

I used it just the other week. I get a rather good, solid lather out of it. The scent is sort of 'meh' but quite honestly the lather matters more to me :)

8wihld.jpg

Palmolive stick SOTD:
8wihld.jpg

Reading this thread reminded me of a complaint back in the day about record albums. We in North America would pay top dollar for Brit, German or Japanese pressings, feeling they were superior. Europeans would prefer North American product over their "naff" domestics...

Japanese YSL records were superior versions. Every true audiophile in the 'day' knew this.

Back
Top Bottom