Palmolive Shaving Stick

Greetings

I have just returned from my local branch of Tesco and I noticed that all of the Palmolive Shaving Sticks and the Palmolive shaving cream has been 'pulled' from the shelves.

The remaining shaving sticks are in the reduced section of the store at 25 pence (half price) the cream has vanished, I remember reading on this forum just a few days ago that these sticks are likewise reduced to 25 pence in Morrisons.........does this mean something?

My local Tesco is only a medium sized branch and they are quick to pull anything that does not sell well, but, in the fifteen years (or thereabouts) that the store has been built, both of these items have always been stocked.

About a year ago rumours circulated on this and other forums that Palmolive were discontinuing the shave sticks but the rumours seemed to fizzle out; I am now unable to find the original thread on this forum.

Regards
Dick.

Last edited:
It may be part of a wider Tesco strategy to reduce the number of lines they have in store. They are trying to compete with the discount retailers and one way of cutting costs is carrying more bulk and less lines.

Leave it a month, they'll be back on the shelves! Likewise, I'd read the rumours, bought ten sticks and handy dandy. About a month later they were stocked to the gunnels.

Gotta be the best value soap going. I paid 49p a stick at Asda. Super stuff. I recently got the newbies box which had some great soaps in such as Martin de Candre. Now it may be me but I couldn't see the difference for the massive price difference.

Gotta be the best value soap going. I paid 49p a stick at Asda. Super stuff. I recently got the newbies box which had some great soaps in such as Martin de Candre. Now it may be me but I couldn't see the difference for the massive price difference.

It all comes down to ethics. There are many more contentious products in Palmolive than MdC. Never tried the latter but always loved Palmolive.

Have to admit I have never tried the Palmolive shaving stick. My father always used Palmolive shaving cream and so did I right through my teens and twenties until I discovered the dreaded "gunk in a can". Maybe I had better grab some Palmolive sticks just in case they are going to disappear.

If we can generate some hysteria on the US-centric forums we can make a killing. They'll buy it for $10 a stick if they think it's being discontinued.

Although it's a great shave stick & sells here for about $3 here, it's not hugely popular IMO as there are now tons of 'boutique' soap makers over here that are all the rage it appears, e.g., Mike's Soaps, The Strop Shoppe, Catie's Bubbles, etc., ad nauseam.

I must admit that in the value for money Europe is definitely on top here.
The cheapest readily available shave soap like VDH and Williams in the US falls short from the Palmolive in the lather department, which is what counts for me. I will even go as far saying that Gillette foamy and Barbasol give better protection and lube then Williams, VDH is about as good as Palmolive but will cost more.

I must admit that in the value for money Europe is definitely on top here.
The cheapest readily available shave soap like VDH and Williams in the US falls short from the Palmolive in the lather department, which is what counts for me. I will even go as far saying that Gillette foamy and Barbasol give better protection and lube then Williams, VDH is about as good as Palmolive but will cost more.

That probably has(had) more to do with Gillette being based in the USA, hence it was able to 'throttle' the market due to its sheer market share & power. They effectively killed DE shaving here. However, that was the effect & not the cause. Blame that on the French co. Bic who invented the first plastic disposable in 1971. I am sure Gillette felt like a livery stable owner who watched the first automobile drive by. ;)

I've got a couple in stock from back when they were at the extortionate (49p) range. I was down that aisle in Asda at the weekend but didn't notice if they had reduced their line. I shall pay more attention next time I'm up there though.

Too early to panic just yet though (news of its demise seem to be perpetually premature).

Back
Top Bottom