Palmolive Shaving Stick

On a recent trip to Asda I made sure to have a look. Still on the shelf at full whack, plenty in stock, no sign they were removing them.

13p! That is unbelievable.
Cost price from memory is under 5p (depending on quantity too)
I quite like Palmolive we have one customer who has shaved with Palmolive for 50+ years every day.

Cost price from memory is under 5p (depending on quantity too)

Crikey. I'd have pulled it if I was Palmolive, the profit must barely make it worth the effort.

Put the cream in a tub, add a bit of fragrance and sell it at 10 times the price. That'd be my strategy (and is probably what some of the more expensive creams essentially do). :p

It's not my favourite soap I've but I do like it. I find the scent quite nostalgic and the performance is easily good enough to get great shaves.

I'm surprised the marketing people haven't re-packaged and re-launched it (and drastically increased the price). It's definitely got "retro cool" potential.

The soaps that I actually have tried and loved the most have been European sticks. Cella im trying to figure out the loading.

a stick of Palmolive green box, sells for 5$ here.
I don't get the interest or moaning over American "artisan" soaps.

The soaps that I actually have tried and loved the most have been European sticks. Cella im trying to figure out the loading.

a stick of Palmolive green box, sells for 5$ here.
I don't get the interest or moaning over American "artisan" soaps.

Because there are a lot of them and we can't have them! Not without spending a fortune anyway. :D

I personally would love to try Catie's bubbles or Soap Commander. :)

Soap Commander does seem the best of the bunch based on reviews, and size of the container. But id rather try MWF first..

The thing that I have seen from internet posting is that so many of the artisan stuff is basically the same soap, just different scents and package. No real purpose at all..

Soap Commander does seem the best of the bunch based on reviews, and size of the container. But id rather try MWF first..

The thing that I have seen from internet posting is that so many of the artisan stuff is basically the same soap, just different scents and package. No real purpose at all..
Don't believe Reviews on USA Made Artisan Soaps..In my experience they are Crap..They come out with all these Family Sob Stories about having a Child with Eczema & want to make the Environment more friendly with natural products & Shit..Shannons Soaps come out with a Similar All American Sob Story of the Husband with Sensitive Skin..Of Course the American Folks like to buy all things American & Love to Hear the Small Family Business Story..Like something from the Walton Family..:eek:

In Short its Pure & Utter Bull...On my experience these Soaps are Heavily Scented Poor Performers..But Hey..It was Made in the Good Old USA by the Post Modern Walton Family..Good Night John Boy..:D

Billy

the only HONEST "artisan" company would be Kramperts. At least he admits he only does the aftershaves and has a foreign company make the actual soaps with his scents. never tried Kramperts but id try his first. Just don't like the description of the scents he uses.

Soap Commander is very, very good. Performance, scent and post-shave feel are all excellent.

Part of the appeal to the American soaps is that they have scents that just aren't available here. I'd love a UK soap maker to do a lavender and peppermint, but there isn't one.

Part of the problem is that a lot of the scents from what I have seen are just, repackageing a dead dog. If the soap itself sucks, put lots of different scents in it. The whole rage is something of a joke.

Theres several American shaving forums that if you speak out against particular soaps you can get banned. If you speak out against a company because it makes you break out in a rash, you can get banned depending on how much that "artisan" company paid that month to be a member on the site.
And in these two American forums, they have a constant soap of the week/month that varies on what the owners store has received. if they get 300 units of a soap that never sells, that suddenly becomes the soap of the day that everyone "needs"

One of the forums was made just as a way for a vendor to get rid of excess stock.

Ive tried razorock classic cream, I get a better s have from Williams.

Soap Commander is very, very good. Performance, scent and post-shave feel are all excellent.

Totally agree. I have the Rose, fantastic soap and I'd love to try more scents.

Part of the appeal to the American soaps is that they have scents that just aren't available here. I'd love a UK soap maker to do a lavender and peppermint, but there isn't one.

With you there. I was experimenting with essential oils, in Arko and my two favourite were Lavender & Rose, and Lavender & Peppermint.
Peppermint & rosemary was up there too.

Part of the problem is that a lot of the scents from what I have seen are just, repackageing a dead dog. If the soap itself sucks, put lots of different scents in it. The whole rage is something of a joke.

Theres several American shaving forums that if you speak out against particular soaps you can get banned. If you speak out against a company because it makes you break out in a rash, you can get banned depending on how much that "artisan" company paid that month to be a member on the site.
And in these two American forums, they have a constant soap of the week/month that varies on what the owners store has received. if they get 300 units of a soap that never sells, that suddenly becomes the soap of the day that everyone "needs"

One of the forums was made just as a way for a vendor to get rid of excess stock.

Ive tried razorock classic cream, I get a better s have from Williams.
+ 1...You are Spot On..That's happening with the OneBlade Razor at the Moment as Well..What people in the UK don't grasp is that even a Small Catchment of People buying these Products in the USA is Huge Profits..The USA is a Continent & a Small Catchment can run into Millions of Dollars..A lot of Nasty stuff goin on in some of these USA Shave Forums..The Threads are a Set Up & so are the YouTube Videos...Razorock were involved in all that Crap as Well..There is USA money in there somewhere that's obvious to a Blind Man..:eek:

Billy

Last edited:
its hard to know when some people are being serious or sarcastic.

I was banned at one time from badger and blade because I dared to speak out against one of their largest paid vendor members when that vendor, westcoastshaving, asked for input about how to improve their website experience.
I was also once banned from shavenook because I spoke out against a "moderators" favorite brand of "artisan soap"

Back
Top Bottom