Acquisitions - week Feb. 28th to Mar. 6th incl.

N_Architect said:
Yellow Jim said:
Is the La Toja soap in the bowl the same as the stick?
They say it's not exactly the same. But Emanuel or the Spaniards in other forums may know more.

The composition is slightly different: the La Toja bowl has more stearic acid (sodium and potassium stearate) than the stick - which I think should be a good thing, but I can be wrong. Also the bowl have a higher concentration of mineral salts. The stick lists also coconut acid as an ingredient, as well as sodium and potassium cocoate. The bowl only lists sodium and potassium cocoate, and no coconut acid.

You can see the ingredients list for both the stick and the bowl in the images taken by Teiste for the Spanish wet-shaving forum foroafeitado.es:
La Toja stick
La Toja bowl

I believe the bowl is still made in Spain, while the stick is now made in an Henkels factory in Slovakia exclusively for the Spanish market (oh!, the globalization!).

I have not tried the bowl yet. I cannot tell if there is a practical difference between the bowl and the stick - apart from the presentation, of course. But the general consensus in the Spanish forum is that they are very similar. Perhaps with a slight advantage for the bowl, but that could be only "psychological" - or not. ;)

As I prefer bowl lathering (I rarely facelather), I guess I prefer the bowl... but that is only my personal preference! ;)

A Gold Plated Ever-Ready SE Razor, (seem to be using Single Edge Razors alot recently, really do give a cracking Shave !!) :D

100_0386-1.jpg

100_0388-1.jpg

100_0385-1.jpg

OK a few of my purchases over the last couple of days - Sorry about the pix, no light box and im new to photography so learning (canon eos 35d, 18-55mm lens)

NewShaveSoapBowl.jpg

Brought this dish from HomeChoice this is the home ware department of TKMax, they have a dedicated store down in swansea, cost £2.99 measures 15x10x8cm and holds 300ml, grated in to one my Arko stick. Looks nicer than the soggy stick sitting on the window ledge

GoldGillettefromBlades-1.jpg

GoldGillettefromBlaes2.jpg

This arrived today, my FIRST proper DE razor, kindly sent to me from Blades in the US with a Yellow and a Green packet of 7o'clocks - THANK YOU :mrgreen:

ProfBlightyGrapewood.jpg

This arrived yesterday from Professor Blighty, Grapewood Soap, Balm and AS, also in the box was a lovley little brush

I also got a 25cl Jamie Oliver Melamine outdoor serving bowl from HomeChoice, cost £1.49, great for making the lather, I did have a smaller one but the lather rather than folding into the bowl folded out the sides.

As I said sorry for the poor quality pictures, its my first attempt apart from pix of the kids etc etc

I picked these two items up from the PO today
2011-03-02174507.jpg

The top "Razor set" looks like this inside
2011-03-02174538.jpg

Which builds up into these two razors
2011-03-02174635.jpg

The one on the right is an aluminium handled Gillette (type?)
2011-03-02174754.jpg

The only clue to what the "cute little one" on the left is, is the Germany stamp on the underside of the base plate
2011-03-02174702.jpg

In the shabby velvet lined leather box is this open comb Gillette
2011-03-02174825.jpg

It was mostly covered in some kind of black tarnish or stain when it arrived but as you can see it's cleaned up nicely :D
2011-03-02174921.jpg

2011-03-02174949.jpg

Can any one tell me if this is an old or a new?

Whilst I had my haircut today I noticed that instead of the usual shavette she was using a disposable straight razor :eek: Basically just a small plastic handle with a blade on, quite nifty though. Anyway the conversation moved on to traditional shaving and some Trumper Lime soap was produced! She said she bought it from the outlet in town :shock: Further questioning revealed it's location and (dangerously) I went for a browse! End result being a good selection of quality aftershaves and Trumpers products. I was quite good, but came away with 200ml of Limes Skin Food and a couple of creams samples (Lime & Rose). Great discovery I had no idea existed ;)

Jeltz said:
Original source Mint and Tea Tree shower gel on a bogoff in Tescos cheap but oh so refreshing.

I like Original Source stuff too. Over Christmas I picked up some XXX Black Mint shower gel, like that only more so ;)

Evvaa said:
As I said sorry for the poor quality pictures, its my first attempt apart from pix of the kids etc etc

They're very good mate in fairness. I'm not photographer but I quite enjoy experimenting with a camera taking close up's of razors etc.

quattrojames said:
Whilst I had my haircut today I noticed that instead of the usual shavette she was using a disposable straight razor :eek: Basically just a small plastic handle with a blade on, quite nifty though. Anyway the conversation moved on to traditional shaving and some Trumper Lime soap was produced! She said she bought it from the outlet in town :shock: Further questioning revealed it's location and (dangerously) I went for a browse! End result being a good selection of quality aftershaves and Trumpers products. I was quite good, but came away with 200ml of Limes Skin Food and a couple of creams samples (Lime & Rose). Great discovery I had no idea existed ;)

Jeltz said:
Original source Mint and Tea Tree shower gel on a bogoff in Tescos cheap but oh so refreshing.

I like Original Source stuff too. Over Christmas I picked up some XXX Black Mint shower gel, like that only more so ;)

Evvaa said:

They're very good mate in fairness. I'm not photographer but I quite enjoy experimenting with a camera taking close up's of razors etc.
I wouldn't mind knowing the outlet?

From t' Bay of 'e'-ness in today's post was my new Parker 84R 3-piece razor.

[attachment=0]

• ... unlike me to fancy such a blingie thingie, I know, but it was magpie-eyes at first sight!
        • Always better to get them for about half the usual price, or so.[/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u]

Attachments

• Parker 84R - 001 - 02-03-2011.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 76
Urban Hermit said:

[attachment=0]

• ... unlike me to fancy such a blingie thingie, I know, but it was magpie-eyes at first sight!
        • Always better to get them for about half the usual price, or so.[/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u]

• That is a smart looking handle there :) . The question is though, could you replace the head with a Tech? Wouldn't improve the look, but you'd probably get a better shave :|

moodymick said:
Urban Hermit said:

[attachment=0]

• That is a smart looking handle there :) . The question is though, could you replace the head with a Tech? Wouldn't improve the look, but you'd probably get a better shave :|

• Yup, you can switch most 3-piece razor heads with most other 3-piece razor heads, in my own experience. I have done the maiden voyage-shave with this new toy (as posted on the SotD thread), and I found the experience to be very much like the performance of a Tech or the EJ 8x series heads, already. The blade sits evenly on each side; blade gap is not too overly aggressive.

Urban Hermit said:
moodymick said:
Urban Hermit said:

[attachment=0]

• Yup, you can switch most 3-piece razor heads with most other 3-piece razor heads, in my own experience. I have done the maiden voyage-shave with this new toy (as posted on the SotD thread), and I found the experience to be very much like the performance of a Tech or the EJ 8x series heads, already. The blade sits evenly on each side; blade gap is not too overly aggressive.

• Good, nice to hear someone getting a winner, with price, looks & performance being the holy trinity - sorta ;)

moodymick said:
Good, nice to hear someone getting a winner, with price, looks & performance being the holy trinity - sorta ;)

Aye - my health is wacky, my worldly goods are nominal, and my working relationship with middle-management and above is becoming more wearing on what seems to be a daily basis ...

• ... BUT my new shiny, shiny toy rules, so the rest of that stuff just don't feckin' matter![/list:u][/list:u]

Back
Top Bottom