SOTD w/c Sat 7th - Fri 13th Jan. '12 incl.

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage Marshall Fields 2 band
1958 Executive/ Gillette Platinum Plus (NOS)
Valobra stick
Barbershop Bay Rum AS
Penhaligons 'Blenheim Bouquet' cologne

Tried yet another old blade. This is the one in the gray dispenser that you see for sale every so often. Very smooth, sharp, and forgiving shave with this old thing, and I can see why it gets such nice reviews. Whew....very pleasant vintage blade.

BBS results,

Martin

1-5.jpg

An interesting shave today. I soon relearnt that you don't need a thick creamy lather with a 5 blade cartridge. So a quick swirl over the Cade and a thin coating of lather was quite enough for the Wilkinson Hydro to do its job. Three really quick passes without feeling anything was coming off gave me a very close smooth and comfortable shave rounded off with a low cost Wilkinson Balm. Shave over in half the usual time and off out for an early breakfast. I still prefer my more leisurely DE shave with a thick creamy lather but if time is a bit short the Hydro is an excellent alternative. The brush is a real buffalo horn silvertip from Trumpers.

Shipwrecked said:
Fido
I hope you haven't backslidden
Only kidding!!
Jim

I called it "Back to the future" on my blog. For me it illustrates the pleasure of variety. Nothing now beats whipping up a nice creamy lather and a leisurely few passes with a DE or occasional straight. But even in retirement, I'm sometimes pressed for time. So I can still enjoy brush and soap and the extra speed of a cartridge - all it needs in a thin film of lather and that takes up much less time than normal to apply and remove.

Fido said:
I called it "Back to the future" on my blog. For me it illustrates the pleasure of variety. Nothing now beats whipping up a nice creamy lather and a leisurely few passes with a DE or occasional straight. But even in retirement, I'm sometimes pressed for time. So I can still enjoy brush and soap and the extra speed of a cartridge - all it needs in a thin film of lather and that takes up much less time than normal to apply and remove.

And there on offer @ £3.80 on the zon worth a punt at that for when you want a quickie :s.

Tuesday:
Gillette Fusion ProGlide
Noxzema menthol shaving foam

Right, now I'm off for my very first Kendo lesson. After 25+ years of karate I'm about ready for a change. Been to watch a session and I liked what I saw.

Shipwrecked said:
tue10jan2012.jpg

Tuesday 10th Jan

Taylor Brush
Feather AS D1
Gillette Yellow (Fresh)
Witch Hazel After Shave
Cade ASB

My son kindly lent me his Feather AS D1, and I must say this is a cracking razor, nice feel and well balanced. Very Satisfied
Regards
Jim

Everything about that sentence warms the cockles of my heart.

This morning:

Prep: Face wash, Imperial Leather bath soap
Razor: Feather Artist Club RG (wood), Pro blade (5)
Soap: Cella
Brush: Neep #955 soapstone silvertip badger
Balm: Bulldog
Scent: Trumper's Sandalwood

Another nice smooth comfortable shave, I do like the Cella. Tiny bit of irritation in the usual spot add the bar of the neck on the right, which I attribute primarily to being back in collar and tie again after a three week hiatus and secondarily to the fact that my seatbelt rubs there.

I love my job. I hate my time zone.

Ken T M said:
Shipwrecked said:
tue10jan2012.jpg

Tuesday 10th Jan

Taylor Brush
Feather AS D1
Gillette Yellow (Fresh)
Witch Hazel After Shave
Cade ASB

My son kindly lent me his Feather AS D1, and I must say this is a cracking razor, nice feel and well balanced. Very Satisfied
Regards
Jim

Everything about that sentence warms the cockles of my heart.

Thanks for that Ken, Yes, I've got to be honest, I have two good sons!
Jim

Edwin Jagger Chatsworth Barley
Nacet (1)
Neep Soapstone Badger
Palmolive stick
Witch hazel
Clinique post shave balm

Despite buying the EJ a few months ago I've not really used it that much so am going to put that to rights for the rest of this week.

It's given me a lovely shave with the Nacet tonight. Not one nick!

Hot Shower
Pears Face Soap
Proraso Pre Shaving Cream
Merkur 1904 open comp
BigBen (Lord Made ) Blade SS (1st day )
Schwarzweisskeramik XL
Simpson Chubby 3 in Best Badger
MWF
Old Spice Lagoon
EJ Aloe Vera Balm

Back
Top Bottom