SOTD w/c Sat 7th - Fri 13th Jan. '12 incl.

Wednesday:
Gillette Fusion ProGlide
Proraso Pre/Post
Noxzema Menthol shaving foam
Alcolado Glacial
Proraso Pre/Post

joe mcclaine said:
Tuesday:
Gillette Fusion ProGlide
Noxzema menthol shaving foam

Right, now I'm off for my very first Kendo lesson. After 25+ years of karate I'm about ready for a change. Been to watch a session and I liked what I saw.

Your first Kendo lesson, always looked really appealing to me as a sport, would love to give that a go great looking suits, but i've always loved and admired most things Japanese, must be thier sense of order and discipline fit's in with my personality I guess.

Jamie.

pugh-the-special-one said:
Your first Kendo lesson, always looked really appealing to me as a sport, would love to give that a go great looking suits, but i've always loved and admired most things Japanese, must be thier sense of order and discipline fit's in with my personality I guess.

To be honest, it was a little disappointing.

I went to one club on Sunday for a look and liked what I saw but when it came to actually doing a bit I found they took themselves a little too seriously.

Didn't help that they stuck me with a visiting instructor and GB team member for my first go at whacking someone with a bamboo sword (shinai). After I'd hit him on the head (with one of those guards on) half a dozen times he just said 'don't worry, I'll get to hit you that hard soon'.

I would have prefered a bit more feedback but the British martial artists have a knack of trying to out-japanese the Japanese with their Miyagi-isms. How about "Don't hit too hard, do it like this rather than like this, here's where you're going wrong"?

Reminded me of one my seniors in karate who used to say stuff like "more fast punch" when the silly arse was from Yorkshire!

Anyway, for that reason, I'm out.

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: Neep, black badger cigar brush
Razor: David Issard, Samson
Soap: Palmolive
AS: Williams, Aqua Velva
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Very, very close :D

Face lathered and I usually don't so it was a nice change pace :D
006800x590.jpg

Vinnie goes Mr Miyagi all over the place:
cf617618-b753-43b9-ac16-ed69183591f3.jpg

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

Savile Row 204 badger
1958 Executive/ Gillette Platinum Plus (NOS)
IK SS used as a stick
Roger and Gallet 'Vetyver' EdT used as aftershave

Second very nice shave with this vintage blade. Yeah, this one's very popular with some members and I can see why.

Fun using the IK like a stick.....rubbing it on my face and then using a kinda wet brush to make the lather. Excellent soap with much better than average post shave skin care.

BBS results,

Martin

Razor. Feather AS-D1
Blade. Red Ip
Brush. Simpson Colonel
Soap. Cella
Aftershave. Floid The Genuine

I used the Red Ip in the feather for the first time as I wanted to see how this blade performed in this razor. I have found the Red Ip's to be smoother than the feather blades and sharper than the Derby's. The shave was smooth and mild but as always with the AS-D1 I needed an extra pass and a little buffing because of the mildness of this razor. Altogether it was a nice shave with no nicks or irritation.

joe mcclaine said:
pugh-the-special-one said:

To be honest, it was a little disappointing.

I went to one club on Sunday for a look and liked what I saw but when it came to actually doing a bit I found they took themselves a little too seriously.

Didn't help that they stuck me with a visiting instructor and GB team member for my first go at whacking someone with a bamboo sword (shinai). After I'd hit him on the head (with one of those guards on) half a dozen times he just said 'don't worry, I'll get to hit you that hard soon'.

I would have prefered a bit more feedback but the British martial artists have a knack of trying to out-japanese the Japanese with their Miyagi-isms. How about "Don't hit too hard, do it like this rather than like this, here's where you're going wrong"?

Reminded me of one my seniors in karate who used to say stuff like "more fast punch" when the silly arse was from Yorkshire!

Anyway, for that reason, I'm out.

I never took up Karate myself, but did box for a few years as a teenager, Boxing gyms in Merthyr during the seventies were numerous, a good friend of mine Chief Instructor & Welsh Coach Sensei Kevin O'Neill (4th Dan) as won many Welsh titles and came second in the European championships held in Cadiz Spain quite a few years back, he fought both European and international level, full contact, he's now in his fifties, his son Callum as now taken over from his Dad and as become a very tough competitor like his old man.

Jamie.

I've seen Kevin about at National comps but never trained with him. We took our black belts under the same instructor . . . about 10 years appart, mind.

He's a tough one.

Wednesday was:

Penhaligons nickel brush
Truefitt and Hill lavender cream
Merkur 34C HD
7 o'clock green SS (1)
Ogalalla lime and peppercorn

Fine shave today, no worries and no mole slashing.
Yesterday's yellow had to be binned, for he had tasted blood.

Gillette Slim Adjustable on 6, 4, 3.
Gillette Nacet vintage blade (English, second use)
TOBS Shaving Shop cream
Proraso post-shave cream

Nice close, smooth shave. This is an excellent combo. I want to get more of these English Nacets - definitely one of the best blades I've ever used.

joe mcclaine said:
I've seen Kevin about at National comps but never trained with him. We took our black belts under the same instructor . . . about 10 years appart, mind.

He's a tough one.

It's a small world intersting, Kevin lives just up the road from me, he's the Chief Superintendent for the northern division of South Wales police.

http://www.south-wales.police.uk/en/content/cms/about-us/meet-your-divisions/northern-commander/

Regards Jamie.

It's back to the past after my dabble with a cartridge again.

1-6.jpg

The razor is an old Shavex - another gift from an old friend. It looks as cheap as chips but it's very effective, having what for me seems a perfect angle that gets really close but is very comfortable.

Wednesday morning

Proraso pre/post
MWF - face lathered
Muhle R41
Gillette 7 o'clock Sharp Edge
Alum
Real Shave Co. ASB
Pinaud Vanilla

First shave with the R41. As ever with new things I tried to reduce other variables and use things I've used regularly before so I can evaluate the new item. I've always got on well with MWF and the Gillette yellows are my favourite blade. Good combo of smooth and sharp for me.

Loaded up, lathered up and got on with the shave. Boy is this thing aggressive! I used very light pressure and went for a 2 pass WTG, XTG shave.

Result, DFS shave. No nicks or weepers but had a bit of razor burn on my neck. I could have cried when I splashed on the Clubman aftershave!

More practice tomorrow...with me luck!

Wednesday

Razor: Feather all stainless
Blade: Feather (5!)
Brush: Semogue 830
Soap: Cella

BBS with ease. Feather shows no signs of tugging even after mowing down 3 days worth of stubble.

Straight to AS too with zero sting.

I'm impressed with this feather.

Back
Top Bottom