SOTD w/c Sat 7th - Fri 13th Jan. '12 incl.

Muehle R101 (2011) & Wilkinson (German)
Jack Black synthetic
Palmolive
Aqua Velva
Kiehl's Ultra Facial Cream
Amouage Opus III

photo-60.jpg

The Jack Black gets its first shot, well, I think the new Muehle synthetics are definitely more advanced re hair construction and knot performance. I found this one to have quite stiff hair, I tried to push it against the face in order to face lather and the hairs were not bending easily. Don't know if that will change over time.

Once I got the hairs to bend enough, I got very good lather generating. This brush does not seem to hold a lot of water, however it retains pretty well generated lather. Lather application for the second pass was much better compared to the performance of my Semogue 2011 LE during every second pass I've been doing for the last 6 weeks.

I suppose this has to do with the nature of the two brushes (which by definition is very different) but also to my still improving understanding of how a brush should really work and be used. Backbone of the Jack Black is good, but overall and for the price this product retails for it does not initially seem to be on the high value-for-money end.

The Kiehl's moisturiser is a new acquisition (one 50ml 'travel' jar plus one of the same in 125 ml 'standard' plastic tub - the large one was reduced 40% here in a dept. store). It's supposed to be one of their best products. Quite rich, certainly richer than my South Korean 'magic' Sulwhasoo after shave lotions but when the rainy season comes here in 5-6 months I'll either have to apply less of this product or use this as a night cream.

Have a great weekend.

Saturday

Feather AC-SS
Feather Proguard Blade
New Forest 2201 Brush
Vitos Coconut Soap
Castle Forbes Lime ASB

Great result, but I'm out of practice and it took a long time.

Ian

Saturday

Razor: Feather all stainless
Blade: Feather
Brush: 830
Soap: Cella

Great shave. Ive been given a loan from a good friend with the feather. It's quite a nice razor. I would call the aggressiveness adequate rather than mild, don't get me wrong, it's not like an OC or a slant but it gives a good shave. Blade angle is also not a problem.

So far, thumbs up to the feather :)

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: Le Tuft, Simpson silver tip
Razor: E A Berg, Special
Soap: Provence Santé
AS: Code by Armani
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Very, very clean :D

Wow, what a nice 5/8 blade, more flexible than most Swedes, but yet with excellent shaving skills built into it :D
005800x505.jpg

Fido said:
Where did you get those bowls Mikael?

The blue one is from http://www.schwarzweisskeramik.de/ and the other is a vintage shaving/brush bowl from a big department store, in Stockholm from around the 20th century turn, where they had numbered lockers for gentlemen and together with the lockers there where these bowls (and some other stuff). They still can be found and if you want one, you can always ask ...

Red Tip Superspeed
Permasharp (1)
Neep Soapstone Badger
MWF (face lathered)
Witch hazel
Trumper lime skin food

A couple of small nicks closed with alum but a BBS shave for a Saturday cannot be faulted!

Mikael said:
Fido said:
Where did you get those bowls Mikael?

The blue one is from http://www.schwarzweisskeramik.de/ and the other is a vintage shaving/brush bowl from a big department store, in Stockholm from around the 20th century turn, where they had numbered lockers for gentlemen and together with the lockers there where these bowls (and some other stuff). They still can be found and if you want one, you can always ask ...

Thank you Mikael.

Razor: Schick Krona
Brush: Badger/Bristle mix from L'Occitane (I think... it was a gift about 15 years ago)
Soap: D R Harris (Arlington)

Rubbish!!! Very red and angry. Possible reasons:

• Didn't use shave oil today, for the first time in a while.
  • The Feather blade might have corroded a bit, due to being left in the razor for abour 4 or 5 days since first use
  • I used a micropore sponge to scrub my face before the shave
  • I spent much longer than usual soaking my beard (in the bath)

I'm yet to be convinced by the Cade Balm, and am about ready to PIF the Krona.

Ken T M said:

• "Probably my technique"

• Hi Ken,

I fixed that up for you, but I may be wrong. See what you think and tell me what's up.

Now it could be the razor or blade being off in some way, but my bet's the different Krona-like head style is messing you up a bit. Takes a little tweak to the angle of attack is all, but using a Feather gives you less chance for avoiding something bad till you figure it out.

The Krona is one of the mildest and forgiving razors out there, so stay with it another time or two and see what happens. I like using those myself when it comes to how they shave with a sharp blade.

Hope that helps,

Martin

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage Marshall Fields badger
1958 Executive/ Wilkinson Swordmaster (NOS)
Surrey SS (pre VDH reformulation) used as a stick
Barbershop Bay Rum AS
Tom Ford 'Amber Absolute' EdP (intense smoky wood with lotsa resin).

So that new to me blade from yesterday was fine, but no big deal. Popped a Wilkinson Swordmaster type in the Exec, another old UK version I hadn't tried before. Great looking wrapper and blade and I was pretty optimistic.

I knew from the first downward stroke that something was up. Not all that smooth and kinda noisy. I was even thinking my lather mighta been off....hoping anyway. I did wanna like these blades. I used it for maybe half my shave, with the other half switching off with another Wilkinson I know works great. Sigh, this latest blade just isn't a good fit, but luckily I only have one pack. I'm sure someone would love em, but they ain't for me.

BBS results,

Martin

Attachments

• Wilkinson Swordmaster001 (Small).jpg
    Wilkinson Swordmaster001 (Small).jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Wilkinson swordmaster002 (Small).jpg
    Wilkinson swordmaster002 (Small).jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 19
Saturday

Proraso pre/post
Palmolive cream - this stuff is often overlooked by me in favour of other creams and soaps, but when I do use it it really is great
Muhle R89
Personna platinum (3) - really like these blades, never used them before this week
Alum
Nivea ASB
Pinaud Clubman

3 pass, WTG, XTG, ATG BBS results, happy!

dodgy said:
Ken T M said:

• "Probably my technique"

• Hi Ken,

I fixed that up for you, but I may be wrong. See what you think and tell me what's up.

Now it could be the razor or blade being off in some way, but my bet's the different Krona-like head style is messing you up a bit. Takes a little tweak to the angle of attack is all, but using a Feather gives you less chance for avoiding something bad till you figure it out.

The Krona is one of the mildest and forgiving razors out there, so stay with it another time or two and see what happens. I like using those myself when it comes to how they shave with a sharp blade.

Hope that helps,

Martin

• Thanks Martin. You're probably right. I only tried the Krona today after reading other people comment on how "intuitive" it was. I didn't find it intuitive at all. Couldn't find the right angle, and it seemed not to shave at all unless I applied a little pressure. Hence the angry burn.

Nonetheless, I shall give it another go with a fresh blade at some point in the not-too-distant future. I need to go back to my control razor for a bit, though, having spent the last week shaving with a different razor (or even two) every day.

Mikael said:
Wow, what a nice 5/8 blade, more flexible than most Swedes, but yet with excellent shaving skills built into it :D
005800x505.jpg
[/align]

Is that the same Shark as I've seen Mikael? - got a feeling you've maybe got more than one. I thought it was a super little blade, and as you say, maybe a bit less "Swedish" in character than might be expected. As Peter says, the bowls are very photogenic, especially the numbered one.

Today's shave:

SOTD070112_1.jpg

New Forest 2211 silvertip; Kuroki; Nanny's French lavender hardish soap; Givenchy Gentleman aftershave.

I was particularly pleased with the way the light shines through that rice bowl. Shave was top notch by the way.

Back
Top Bottom