SOTD w/c Sat 5th May - Fri 11th May ...

Re: SOTD w/c Sat 5th May - Fri 12th May ...

This morning:

Prep: Face wash, Imperial Leather bath soap
Razor: Feather Artist Club RG (wood), Pro blade (8)
Brush: Neep #1156 cocobolo chubby 24mm extra silvertip
Soap: Pre de Provence
Aftershave: Prof Blighty's Yellow Ginger
Scent: Trumper's GFT
Result: superb :).

RE: SOTD w/c Sat 5th May - Fri 12th May ...

Mikael said:
Well, D Martin: vintage shaving soap - talk to me! :) ... it's not the soaps so much as the DEs no one wants over here, damn, I got cased Populars raining over me, but I know you like to get them for a modest fee, in the wild... So I thought you maybe would be interested in vintage soap and soapaphilia, instead!?

Vintage soaps eh? I may have some thoughts on the subject. First though, you serious about no one wanting DE razors in Svenskalaaand? Well, you guys are an odd bunch in general (no offense meant of course). Hissingskunk sent me out a beautifully replated Popular done in Rhodium a while back. Reminds me of the numbered barberpole UK Aristos.....probably a first cousin to those types.

In my regular rotation of maybe 6-8 soaps and a few creams, there's only a couple that aren't made anymore. One of each, although the cream is a special occasion kinda thing. The vintage soap hasn't been produced in.......I have no idea when it was made. I'd guess mid 80s or early 90s, so it's not all that old. Actually, when does soap turn from 'old' to vintage' anyway? How long has it gotta be extinct to qualify as vintage?

I've maybe tried half a dozen older soaps and some were good and others not. The old Surrey soap I like (my rotation favorite) must have been dirt cheap in it's day, but it fits me about perfectly. Go figure. It's a melt and pour with no tallow, although an even older version must have that ingredient in the mix.

I do like trying old soaps and I'm looking for some Vintage Old Spice. I picked up an unused puck a while back and it lathers like crazy with very good performance. The problem is the scent. Yeah, it was stored somewhere kinda musty and even after 5-6 uses it still is evident, along with the OS fragrance. Heh, not a good combo. You run into some of that stuff and we can maybe do some business. I have maybe 7-8 straights that you might like......ones in decent shape mostly.

Doggie,

Oh yeah..............I4 is your birth year razor eh? Hehehehehe, that's good to know.

TUESDAY EVENING

BRW Bull Mastiff
Vintage Wilkie blade (Cheers Martin)
Nannys Citrus Zinger
Neep Soapstone brush
Witch hazel
GFT lime skin food

First shave with an old blade. First surprise is how thick the blade is. I thought I'd pulled out two by mistake!

Gave a very nice shave. Really effortless.

Shower / Merkur Progress #2.5/ Bolzano Blade / Shavemac Silvertip D01 / Williams SS/ Denim Orginal​

evernote20120508222316.jpg

Dartin: Even though prices are starting to get ugly here, you would have loved (and raped our poor country/market) how it looked a year or two ago over here and three or four years ago you even could do some serious silly deals (boxed DEs without any pitting, stains or plate loss for under a fiver, in usd - those where the days). You still can do some nice deals, but then you need to go out on the country side... I'll try and keep an eye open, but I've never seen any Old Spice vintage gear out there, this far ;).

Best
Mikael

*Damn, how did he get on to my birth date razor, dodgy guy, that one...*

Re: SOTD w/c Sat 5th May - Fri 12th May ...

Gillette Fatboy on 6, with Schick Krona blade (5th shave)
Bulldog moisturiser
Tobs Sandalwood cream
Henk walnut silvertip brush
M and S Harvard a/s balmp

Good shave. I think the blade may finally be losing some of its sharpness. Still feels very smooth though

Wednesday:

Palmolive/Erasmic soap
Muhle R89
Gillette 7 o'clock Yellow
Professor Blighty's Green Ginger AS

Great razor and blade, very nice results. BBS

Wednesday

Edwin Jagger DE89
Shark Super Chrome Blade
Semogue 2000 Brush
L'Occitane Cade Shaving Soap
Thayer's Witch Hazel

Ian

Wednesday

EJDE89L with Bolzano Superinox
EJ pure badger
Ingram
RSC balm
Ogallala bay rum limes & peppercorns

Back to the trusty 89L after concentrating on generously loaned 37C and Fatboy this past 3 or 4 weeks. Lovely shave, except for managing to nick my bottom lip. First time I've used a Bolzano. Not the smoothest razor-blade combo but not at all uncomfortable and no irritation. Delivered a very satisfying rasp as it went about its work, more so than most other blades I've used in this razor, unless I'm imagining that!

Today, an almost british shave!

2e6d6p2.jpg

Pre Art of Shaving Oil Unscented + Penhaligons Opus 1870 shaving cream + Simpson Duke3 Best + Gillette Tech England Nº44 with Polsilver + Professor Blighty's Blue Ginger sample with Proraso balm

I didn't remember that I had this shaving cream, so I decided today to solve this, hehe. It was bit dry, but I got a good foam without much problem, fortunately! It hasn't remarkable properties, but the scent is really good and elegant, a heavy contrast with "sweet strawberry" scent of this "Red Ginger" lotion, hehehe

Cheers!

So the Rolls Razor with out the Safty bar... this is what it looks like
20120509168.jpg

The blade was stroped on a travel strop with paste and then stroped in the Tin so its soooooooooooooooooo sharp, If you are thinking of trying this be warned with the blade in the handle, the blade will be pointing up so be verry careful please.
the shave, once the angle was found.....
Verry good BSS WTG Did I bleed? yes but nothing much at all,
Did I get a straight razor feeling ? yes the shave was very much like a straight Just a bit intresting with a handle, and with a smaller blade.
Will I use it again? yes I will. its twisted enough to be of intrest to me :icon_eek:

Nice going John. You'd need to be alert in the morning to use that set up. I somehow managed to nick my lip this morning using an EJ!

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: New Forest, Tubby 2
Razor: Gotta 120
Superlather: Dr Hariis Almond + Proraso cream
AS: Lavanada
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Uberclean :D

Nice one! Prop DE razor: Swedish Matador de Lux :D
0131024x707.jpg

... and, of course:
003700x477.jpg

shavecraft said:
Nice going John. You'd need to be alert in the morning to use that set up. I somehow managed to nick my lip this morning using an EJ!

Thanks, my secret is just coffee;)

Wednesday 9th

Merkur Futur (chrome) @ 2.5 & Wilkinson (#2 and out)
Omega No. 98
G.F.T. Violets in bowl (vintage, tallow)
Thann after shave lotion
The Handmade Soap Co. after shave cream
Creed Aventus

Back
Top Bottom