SOTD w/c Sat 28th Jan - Fri 03rd Feb. incl.

PavlovsDog said:
Merkur 39C Slant
Gillette 7 O'Clock Green (1)
TOBS Lavender Cream
Kent BK4
Floid Blue

As above, with the obvious exception that the blade was a 2nd use.

I'm sure this is of little interest to most, but I've decided to take a bit more of a practical approach to my shaving rituals now.

Having amassed 20+ creams or soaps in 5 months, space in the bathroom was beginning to get stretched. As such, I have taken the decision to remove most of the creams to a bedroom cupboard and instead of using a random cream every so often, I'm going to use the same combo for the life of a blade.

With two razors in use, this means that for every 6 day cycle, I will pick 2 creams and then use one with one razor/blade combo and the other with the other razor/blade combo.

Obviously these are my rules and I reserve the right to completely ignore them and pick a random cream whenever I feel like it. Not sure how long this will last, but it seems a reasonably practical way of keeping the bathroom tidier and making a dent into some of the creams that tend to get ignored.

Monday

Gillette Adjustable, Fat Boy setting 5
Wilkinson Sword blade
Vulfix Pure Badger
Palmolive Classic Lather Cream
E45
Speick AS Lotion

Got the Fat Boy, in nice condition, a couple of years ago from a US enthusiast; reacquainting myself with it after a few shaves I'm getting to appreciate this razor which is bulkier than my usual selections.

Hello Sirs,

Pre: shower
Soap: Martin de Candre
Brush: Semogue 1470
Razor: Muhle R89
Blade: Laser (1)
After: Veleiro

Great shaving for open the week. :icon_razz:

IMG_7854.jpg

Have a nice day!

Monday

Prep: Avon facewash with Tea tree
Prep: Hot flannel 2 mins prep
Soap: D R Harris Arlington Soap - my first hard soap. Nice smell and a good lather.
Brush: Edwin Jagger Best Badger
Razor: Merkur 34c HD
Blade: Lord Platinum Classic - still working through the sample pack!
Post shave: Alum Block
Post shave: T&H Ultimate Comfort Balm
Aftershave: T&H Grafton - From sample pack. SWMBO isn't sure she likes this on me!!

3 passes, 2x WTG & 1x XTG. No cuts and smooth. Hopefully techniqe is improving. Shame you have to wait a day to try again! :(

sjedwardz said:
That is a VERY nice razor where did you get it from?

Teiste said:
Sunday :

Tabula Rasa Dark Lavender/Merkur Bakelite with Astra/Semogue finest badger/Weleda Balsam

P1230599.jpg

P1230598.jpg

From another guy who didnt like it too much.Myself I LOVE IT!

Monday

Jabonman Brisa de Oriente jSS/Merkur Bakelite with Astra/Edwin Jagger finest badger/Weleda balsam

P1230600.jpg

P1230601.jpg

T&H Grafton - From sample pack. SWMBO isn't sure she likes this on me!!

It is quite old school. I think it's nice though, especially if you like that whole old fashioned thing.

Monday:

T+H Lavender cream
Penhaligons nickel badger
Merkur 34C HD
7 o'clock green SS (1)
Barbershop bay rum
[/align]

OW!
OWW!!!

Brush: EJ Best Badger
Soap: MWF
Razor: EJ89
Blade:New Personna
Lovely shave, one of the best so far... but these blades are a bit unforgiving! I have a lovely slice on my neck and a matching one on my chin :(
Worst injury in my DE life (all of 2-3 weeks!)

Razor: ikon H2O
Blade: 7 o'clock Russian green
Brush: Le Tuft 404
Soap: Tabac

Crap shave. I'm putting it down to the blade dulling. Nick and burn city.

This morning:

Prep: Face wash, Imperial Leather bath soap
Razor: Feather Artist Club RG (wood), Pro blade (4)
Brush: Neep #1059 soapstone 26mm super silvertip badger
Cream: Trumper's Sandalwood
Balm: Trumper's Skin Food, Sandalwood
Scent: Trumper's Sandalwood
Result: superb :)

Bit of a themed shave in the end, and none the worse for it. Took the whole weekend off and my skin is better for it.

I am getting really tired of being just slightly unwell - it's been weeks now. Shaves like this help though, it was the best part of the day!

MONDAY EVENING

Gillette New
Gillette 365 (1)
Semogue 1305
Proraso Menthol
Witch Hazel
Castle Forbes AS balm

Ah, the joys of going back to a decent blade. What a difference it makes, and I wouldn't even say the 365 is one of my favourites but it pisses all over the atrocities I've been using for the past few days.

Loaded the 1305 straight from the Proraso bowl. Fantastic first lather but a bit thin for the next two passes (even with additional loading and dipping in water).

I might have to stick with the Mama Bears and the MWF for this brush. Seems it prefers a harder soap (or I haven't the technique to get a good lather with a soft soap and boar).

This evening - I could have gone without, having had a very close shave yesterday evening, and risking the wrath of razor burn.

Nonetheless, Jim has loaned me his Merkur HD, and having had a first mediocre, and a second excellent shave with it, I wanted to see push it, to see how it fared under pressure.

(I also wanted to try the Proraso Pre/Post I received today, but that's by the by...)

Pre:
Shower
Proraso pre/post

Shave:
Arko
Vie Long Professional #1 (horsehair)
Merkur HD/Astra Platinum (1)

Proraso pre/post
Olalla Bay Rum

Possibly the smelliest shave I have ever had, but I mean that with great affection for the various products in question. I note that Alum and Proraso pre/post are not the easiest of bedfellows. They seem to interact strangely.

Even with buffing, the Merkur HD steadfastly refused to give me any significant burn. A little pink straight after the shave, but I am seriously impressed: if I had tried that with any other blade, in almost any other razor, I would be a red, blotchy, sensitive mess right now.

I may yet buy one of my own...

Ken

Dipesh said:
Razor: ikon H2O
Blade: 7 o'clock Russian green
Brush: Le Tuft 404
Soap: Tabac

Crap shave. I'm putting it down to the blade dulling. Nick and burn city.

How many shaves had you got out of the blade before today?

MisterG said:
OW!
OWW!!!

Brush: EJ Best Badger
Soap: MWF
Razor: EJ89
Blade:New Personna
Lovely shave, one of the best so far... but these blades are a bit unforgiving! I have a lovely slice on my neck and a matching one on my chin :(
Worst injury in my DE life (all of 2-3 weeks!)

Eek! Are you sure you're not accidentally drawing the head at an oblique angle?

Only from my own experience, straight cuts/slices with a DE tend to occur when I'm not paying sufficient attention and draw the head at an angle slightly off perpendicular...

Monday Night

Thomas Turner & Co "Lancet Edge"
Omega Boar
Nanny's Rassage Traditionnel Hard Soap
Alum
Blend of Boots Balm, Witch Hazel & Azzaro PH
Result - Smooth, comfortable and close.
sw95on.jpg

Back
Top Bottom