SOTD : Saturday 5th March - Friday 11th March 2022.

XuCHkeL.jpg

Gillette 1979 USA Tech
Sir Henry's El Jefe
(sample)
Gillette London Bridge (#3)
Turn 'N Shave 25mm Quarter Moon Tuxedo
Florida Water

Wednesday 9th March

AM-JKLWc9edsXBKY0Hd6cNMCLDQB51PcFDswH_vpB46DDrvVJiQgR6gvF1t_1KSYUTiWUwfNysdJq8YHZ-LuBDtUC7Q6ysoulek0EszsPxHqI_t_BDXshTQdWXNvNB_WWcg3tdY8LHd5vMqf408uyRRq14fe1Q=s800

Ganders Goat Soap w/Hop, Sage & Birch
Palmolive Shaving Stick (Grated)
Omega 10098 Boar 27mm
Muhle Rocca Birch & Treet TJAX
Pinaud Lilac Vegetal

Gosh! That was a surprise ...

The TJAX is a new blade from Treet and billed as a stainless blade on the packaging. Reading up further on their website, I'm finding it is has chrome hardened edges. So, a Chrome blade. Having learned that, I tried to keep my mind from setting on my assumptions. I tend to find Chrome blades a bit meh, not finding sufficient blade feedback for my liking and usually finding them a little dull; rating them somewhere between "acceptable" and "good" but noting that I don't particularly like them.

Immediately, I found the TJAX super-smooth and after the first pass was very pleasantly surprised to find the finish almost where I'd expect a good stainless blade; so would rate them somewhere between "good " and "very good". I was immediately put in mind of the SuperMax Chrome blades rather than, say, Lord yet there was a tad more feedback than either of those houses - where SuperMax has a 0/10 blade feel, as in you just can't feel it, Lord might be 1/10 ... TJAX is, maybe, 3/10. That sufficient feedback furthermore put more in mind of many subcontinent Platinum blades.

In summary, while I prefer blades with more feedback and so generally say that I like a simple stainless blade (or carbon, of course), I enjoyed the smoothness. It's probably not the sharpness of other Chrome blades that I find lacking, but the sheer void of blade feedback doesn't help me get the best from a pass. Anyway, that's me ... not the blade. The TJAX is smooth and safe - you could probably throw it around your face with some abandon, but it gets you shaved.

I'll enjoy using the rest of the pack, I'm sure, but whether I'd restock is another matter. The end result is so close to many subcontinent Platinum blades that I'd rather reach for one of those. Naturally, Treet's own Platinum is a blade that I consider a good cut above this blade. That, or the Gillette Winner Special Platinum or the SuperMax Blue DIamond Platinum.

Overall, I'd put this at about 8.5/10 which is exactly where I have the Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum and the SuperMax Blue Diamond Platinum. Comparison to other Treet blades, well ... the Classic is an 8/10 in my books and the Durasharp a 9/10 but they're both carbon. The Treet Platinum is a straight-up 10/10 for me and their Trig Silver Edge (also a stainless blades) 6/10.

I have the new Treet Trim to try tomorrow. Will it be more Trig or TJAX?

Last edited:
View attachment 85369
SOTD: 08/03/2022

Razor: Rockwell 6s
Blade: Astra SP, 2nd use
Brush: Shedeleven Spalted Scottish Hawthorn AP Shave Co G5C 26mm Fan
Bowl: Captains Choice Copper Lather Bowl Standard Bowl
Preshave: PAA Cube Unscented Soap
Soap: Stirling Campania Puck
Aftershave: Stirling Campania EDT
Balm: Bart's Balm BEN KILBRECK Balm
Additional Care: Osma Laboratoires Alum Block

It’s my birthday shave today, so I bought out one of my favourite soaps, brushes and a razor that never gives less than an amazing shave. It was a great combo and it made for an excellent start to a lovely day.
Enjoy your day everyone.

And most happy of birthdays to you Lee

09/03/2022

Razor: Alpha Claymore Evolution
Blade: Kai MG (1)
Brush: Simpson Captain 2 Manchurian
Soap: Stirling Barbershop

20220309_192615.jpg

I tried a new Kai MG in the razor today but the performance was the same. It's not a combo I'll be looking to use again. Not a worry as the Evo performs flawlessly with both Kai Pinks and Feather Pros. I'm going to try the MG in another razor next.

8D2CC7BF-DF01-4AFE-ABF7-E83B6C8C9B6B.jpeg
SOTD: 09/03/2022

Razor: Yaqi Excalibur
Blade: Proshave S, 9th use
Brush: ZENITH Unbleached bristle chrome handle 2000 C XSE
Bowl: Captains Choice Copper Lather Bowl Standard Bowl
Preshave: PAA Cube Unscented Soap
Soap: PAA Astra Planeta Puck
Aftershave: William Hunt Oud De Parfum Aftershave
Balm: L’Oreal Men Expert Reinforcing Aftershave Balm
Additional Care: Osma Laboratoires Alum Block

Many’s thanks for the birthday wishes everyone, they were much appreciated. Today’s shave was another joy, every stage hit the mark, the brush and lather, lather and scent, the razor itself, all were great.
Enjoy the rest of your day everyone!

Wednesday's shave (or at least I found out it was a Wednesday an hour ago) appears here with the theme 'Ageing and the art of forgetfulness'

20220309_195053.jpg

Erm, one of those things - Stainless Colonial General
It's a cat? - Feather Super Professional
I've got shit for brains - Yaqi Dandelion
What washing up liquid? - Signature Soaps Londinium
No. But I did get this - Colegen moisturiser

Was it a great shave? I can't remember. I presume it was superbly smooth. They always are. As far as my memory serves me. Or doesn't.

On a different note, my youngest granddaughter was learning about jobs the other day at school....

What job does your daddy do Zuzu?

My daddy is a teacher
My mummy is a teacher
Granddad Joe is a builder
Uncle joey is a scientist
Nana is a teacher

And your other granddad?

Granddad Chris?
He's rubbish

And to prove a point...

20220309_221400.jpg

Ah well, there must be some element in truth in there.

Someone new to play out to. And probably the last as well as not much else out there to be found. You are saved

Last edited:

SOTD : 10th March 2022.

4.jpg

Shaving recipe for today.

Prep: Warm shower:/Asda Sea Salt & Fennel Extract 2 in1 Shower Gel.

Pre:
Cold wet flannel to my face.
Simple Pure Bar Soap.
Brush: Lider Turkish Boar.
Face Lather.
Lather : Derby Shave Stick.
Razor: Gillette Guard. (D1)

Cold water face wash with brush squeezing's, Cold Water Face Rinse./ Homemade (~Autumn/Winter mix~) peppermint lavender, eucalyptus, + Tea Tree essential Oils Mixed Together With 200ml of Care+Witch Hazel./Gummy Traditional Turkish Tobacco Cologne./ Arko Cool ASB.

Greetings,

Early Morning Shave,

Last shave of the week to finish my long run of using my SE razors.

I've now went full circle using all of my Vintage & modern SE razors...When i first started to wet shave my head and before i had the shaving confidence to shave with a DE or SE my razor of choice was the Gillette Guard.

It's the only cartridge razor i still use occasionally for a no fuss face or head shave...My maiden head shave with it felt like i was shaving with a potato peeler due to it's tilting head, but what i really like about is it doesn't clog up due to it been open comb and having a large blade gap, one of the few if any open comb single edge cartridge razors on the market. It's excellent for tight spots and problem areas. My only crit's are the razor is made of plastic and it's very light making it 'bottom heavy' but that's expected considering what it costs to make 'you're not going to get a shave from it like a DE or a SE razor granted, but the overall shave performance from this one-blade open-comb cartridge razor is very good and easily to adjust to when shaving with it.

A very comfortable 2 pass + pick ups acceptable DFS with no errors to report...Finishing the shave off with a few small dollops of Arko Cool ASB.

My face is feeling smooth and smelling divine. ;)

Keep safe, and enjoy your day ladies & gentlemen. :cool:

SOTD 10-Mar
20220308_121107.jpg
Brush: Simpson Colonel
Soap: Speick
Razor: Gillette Tech
Blade: Nacet (1)

Nice shave this morning with the recent BST purchase (thanks @Driftwood), my first go with a tech and it is a very smooth running razor. Was surprised after the first pass just how much had been taken down. Couple more passes and done for a smooth finish. Very obviously lighter than my preference but the very light handle helps a lot. This could very well be an ideal travel razor.

On to the old tomorrow then back to the Era.

Hope everyone has a cracking day!

Cheers

Marc

Thu 9 SOTD
Soap Stirling Executive Man
Brush Yaqi 24mm Purple Haze Mew Brown
Razor RazoRock G37 Slant
Blade SilverStar Duridium 4th
Aftershaves Stirling Witchhazel Bergamot Lavender + Stirling Executive Man Splash
A wonderful soap! Lovely scent with rich creamy and slick lather!
The shave with this excellent razor paired with the vintage blade was surprisingly very good. Easy, smooth, comfortable but less efficient in 3passes for a dfs++ result. The aftershaves were just awesome.
20220310_155046.jpg

Last edited:
Thursday 10th March 2022

Dedicated to @Driftwood (otherwise known as the enabler) who included a sample of Creed Viking in my BST purchase, allowing me to discover a new scent that I think is absolutely fantastic. Cheers mate

Razor: Rex Envoy (as always)
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (as always)
Soap: Declaration Grooming After The Rain (sample)
Brush: Simpsons Chubby3 Manchurian Faux Sapphire
Splash: Fine Snakebite
EDP: Creed Viking

An excellent shave! Very comfortable, fantastic scent.

My lather isn't going as well with these samples, as scooping is new to me. I usually load the brush in the top (impossible with little lip balm type tubs). Maybe I'm just not throwing in enough product.

tempImagelkciUm.png
IMG_4040.jpg

Last edited:
07 March
Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Semogue SOC 2 Band Finest Badger in Taj Resin 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Stirling Soap ~ Electric Sheep
Razor/Blade:- Merkur 34C / Wizamet SI #1
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- Burberry for Men

10 March
Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Semogue SOC 2 Band Finest Badger in Butterscotch 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Stirling Soap ~ Electric Sheep
Razor/Blade:- RazoRock SS Lupo 72 / Wizamet SI #1
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- Burberry for Men

Rise of the Empire (including Clone War's) book 10 of 56
511bFB3LbdL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom