SOTD : Saturday 3 September - Friday 9 September 2022.

SOTD 20220908.
SHxY72H.jpg

Proraso pre-shave cream (blue: pre-).
OUMO Brush resin and huanghuali wood / SHD G5 SYN knot.
Dusy Professional "MEN Kabinett" shaving soap.
Vintage 7 O'Clock NEW / Stork Ti "Falcon" handle.
Kai Stainless (10).
Proraso pre-shave cream (blue: after-).
Loris "Rose Oryantal" PE (Perfume Extract).

SOTD 20220908.
SHxY72H.jpg

Proraso pre-shave cream (blue: pre-).
OUMO Brush resin and huanghuali wood / SHD G5 SYN knot.
Dusy Professional "MEN Kabinett" shaving soap.
Vintage 7 O'Clock NEW / Stork Ti "Falcon" handle.
Kai Stainless (10).
Proraso pre-shave cream (blue: after-).
Loris "Rose Oryantal" PE (Perfume Extract).
Good to see you making an appearance Jan. It's been a while since you last done a post...I hope all is well for you. Regards- Barry.(y)

My daily shaves are definitely getting better by the day, I’m using some great new soaps and after shaves and I’m getting used to handling each razor in my collection all of which differ in age from 120 years to today, and application. One common theme is the need for a light touch, better to do more passes than try to achieve smoothness in one heavy pass. Brushes are also individual although unlikely to draw blood if used too aggressively.
That said, I put a GEM personna, suitable modded, in my latest acquisition the Wilkinson Patent Roller Safety Shaver. After one pass wtg my skin was smooth, second atg and job done! What an awesome razor, I didn’t expect it to be that good so quickly, so easy to handle and use. Weight is perfect. I have a Kampfe Bros Star lather catcher from about the same era and also when fitted with a GEM it wasn’t quite up to the Wilki and more bulky to handle. I really must try and sharpen some of the wedges although whether they will be better than the GEM remains to be seen.
have a great day fellas

9E0F578F-8096-4FB8-A3CC-10381A59476C.jpeg

"Things should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
That's a good way of putting it - most short explanations end up being, ironically, too simple. The standard rendering is entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity. It's commonly forgotten that it only works with competing theories that predict the same outcome. Nobody really knows why Ockham's name became attached to the principle of intellectual parsimony - the phrase Ockham's razor wasn't used until at least 200 years after his death. In addition - the maxim was used by Aristotle and Maimonides - to name but two - way before William's day. Ockham had a surprisingly colourful life for a medieval philosopher - he had a rare talent for annoying authority and ended up on the wrong side of the two major theological controversies of his day. He pissed the pope off sufficiently to be excommunicated and died under the protection of the holy roman emperor. Interestingly, his books were never banned by the papacy. Other than a lack of tact - I suspect his biggest problem was that he was so much smarter than any of his contemporaries - I'm not sure anyone could follow him and therefore decided it must be heretical.

cheers - I.

Last edited:
My daily shaves are definitely getting better by the day, I’m using some great new soaps and after shaves and I’m getting used to handling each razor in my collection all of which differ in age from 120 years to today, and application. One common theme is the need for a light touch, better to do more passes than try to achieve smoothness in one heavy pass. Brushes are also individual although unlikely to draw blood if used too aggressively.
That said, I put a GEM personna, suitable modded, in my latest acquisition the Wilkinson Patent Roller Safety Shaver. After one pass wtg my skin was smooth, second atg and job done! What an awesome razor, I didn’t expect it to be that good so quickly, so easy to handle and use. Weight is perfect. I have a Kampfe Bros Star lather catcher from about the same era and also when fitted with a GEM it wasn’t quite up to the Wilki and more bulky to handle. I really must try and sharpen some of the wedges although whether they will be better than the GEM remains to be seen.
have a great day fellas

View attachment 93100
I'm so glad that the razor got along with you and you enjoyed it. It will only get better as you use it more!

That's a good way of putting it - most short explanations end up being, ironically, too simple. The standard rendering is entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity. It's commonly forgotten that it only works with competing theories that predict the same outcome. Nobody really knows why Ockham's name became attached to the principle of intellectual parsimony - the phrase wasn't used until at least 200 years after his death. In addition - the maxim was used by Aristotle and Maimonides - to name but two - way before William's day. Ockham had a surprisingly colourful life for a medieval philosopher - he had a rare talent for annoying authority and ended up on the wrong side of the two major theological controversies of his day. He pissed the pope off sufficiently to be excommunicated and died under the protection of the holy roman emperor. Interestingly, his books were never banned by the papacy. Other than a lack of tact - I suspect his biggest problem was that he was so much smarter than any of his contemporaries - I'm not sure anyone could follow him and therefore decided it must be heretical.

cheers - I.
Hey, I'm just a simple hick from the south and have no idea what you're talking about but it sounds like heresy to me. Cheers

I can't keep up with these smart people.........
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Thursday AM 2022-09-08
International Literacy Day
rsxkAO5.jpg

Rooney 1/2 Faux Ivory Finest (24/53)
Ethos Grooming Succès shaving soap
Paradigm Diamondback
Personna 74 Tungsten (13)
Ethos Grooming Succès aftershave

The Succès software has such a great scent, perfect for a warm morning. The brush is one of my softer ones, similar to a vintage Plisson, and the blade keeps cutting nicely in the excellent razors.
MIZAkGX.jpg

Thur 8th September

Omega 11126 boar
Monsavon au lait
Personna Super Stainless
Schick S/S single- Japan ( 4 )
Pitralon Polar A/S Lotion

It took me an age to master this quirky little Razor, but now I have got used to It. Provided that I get the cutting angle right it delivers a decent Shave, which cannot be rushed.

9CE0BC59-3AA8-452D-B206-82278D558DCE.jpeg

I used mine last week and enjoyed it a lot. The angle is just perfect, isn't it? Even with a modern blade. It's easy somehow to just dip the angle on the very edge and tuck it in right behind the roller guard.

Honing the wedges is pretty straight-forward and somewhat easier than a regular straight, as you're honing it entirely on the stone where a regular straight is drawn also sideways while stroked across the face of the stone. The only trick will be to match the facet of the blade edge using tape on the spine. Maybe one layer thick, maybe a couple. Gently and carefully mimic the action of the Rolls Razor - infact, you could use the Rolls Razor stone if you have one.

Lovely to have that stropping kit to maintain them.

Back
Top Bottom