SOTD: Saturday 3 June - Friday 9 June 2023.

07/06/23
Pre - Sainsbury's Luxury Soap, Bergamot & Nectarine
Brush - Yaqi Coco-cola 22mm Synth
Soap - Lea Stick
Razor - Gillette Rocket HD 694093 @71g (1956?)
Blade - Gillette Silver Blue
Post - Cold water Rinse
Balm - Barts Balm Ben Nevis - Amber & Moroccan Jasmine
A/S - Geoffrey Beene Bowling Green
20230607_160627.jpg
Stay safe and enjoy your day all.

Prep: Face wash with Simple face wash
Pre: Bart’s Pre-Shave
Razor: Tatara Masamune OC (Masamune top cap)
Blade: Gillette 7 o’clock – Yellow (1)
Brush: Muhle R89 - Hexagon (Forest Green) -Synthetic
S Cream: ES – Fragrance Free

Moving up to a blade gap of 0.73mm and negative exposure of -0.10 the shave is starting to be more assertive. Not unpleasant but a noticeable difference from the previous two shaves. It also has to do with the open comb aspect of the safety bar. I'm not a particular fan of open combs hence not much experience with them. I don't particularly like the feeling of the 'teeth' being dragged across my face.
The shave was much more efficient and I could feel that after the first pass. Not much left after so a two pass shve did the trick. It was nice to give it a try but I won't be getting an open comb.
Excited for tomorrow when the teeth will be smiling in positive exposure :oops:

PS Artwork in today's SOTD photo was enclosed in the passaround parcel, thanks to our talented @Massamune

Tatara Passaround.jpg

Tech June-kies ...

Wednesday 7th June

AJFCJaU7r9KhIm5Lw9d19Q3vG2jAsn7p1AIITx_gSdycRNkJ_cEAxupwQVOCVWSoHQpS-MMtX5VyNU10SN_kJcwc-7DHrLYnE23ekGB462ch0EywT5i6D0CvFM4uzmBVSDzyyhut3AZa0d_5bAwau2AJt8z79A=w1200

Gerard of Nottingham (Vintage) Shaving Soap & Ever-Ready 500BN Badger-Lon w/Muhle Silvertip Fibre 22mm
Gillette Tech British No.27 & Gillette PermaSharp Super (1)
Avon Windjammer (Vintage) Aftershave

... same again (ish).

Those Brazilian Platinum blades just don't suit me. Initially, they felt like they could be more on the Indian side, but no ... even a couple of shaves and they're just like Russian Platinums, which I really do not like.

Rescue shave, then!

Sticking with Gillette and out with a PermaSharp Super. Restored.

after the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

Mergress/Schick Plus Platinum (1971 version)
Ebony handle brush by Sir Brian (great for soaps)/Klar Kabinett shaving soap
Lucky Tiger after shave.....no alcohol burn and scent is gone quickly to avoid any EdT conflict.
Royall Bay Rhum used as cologne splash....Very nice old juice with pimenta rasemosa blended with other notes.

This razor/ blade combo is pretty darn good. Been using this set up for the last maybe 6-7 shaves with no end in sight. Blades are almost too sharp in the Merkur but some crazy smooth results have occurred with most times having very little color in the lather. It does need some attention to detail for sure......not like a Fatboy in that way.

BBS results,

Martin

Another Tech shave, this time with the Chinese FlyDear Super Platinum. How they choose these bizarre names is beyond me. But it's a decent blade. Sharp, smooth and will probably last two shaves before dropping off very quickly, as most Chinese blades I've tried have done. And that's fine by me.

The Laundry II is another great performer. It just had the same undercurrent of lots of fruity smells (mango most strongly, it seems to me) as the English Lavender yesterday, with the main scent - the s[m]elling point - a bit heavy and artificial. I'll certainly continue to use them but glad I didn't pay full price. The lavender is a bit more subdued and preferred in that respect.

This time I used the unscented Zingari splash and the Rose of Bulgaria lotion. I really enjoy that but it's had a broken lid since I got it and I haven't found a fitting replacement in the arsenal so I'm using that as an excuse to try to use it up quickly. This is because in my home aftershaves tend to progenate while I'm sleeping, their offspring appearing in a nearly convincing but unfailingly constant state of near emptiness to fool me into thinking I bought them (rather than them being the result of some bizarre crepuscular triste).

Rating: 4 / 5

Razor: Gillette Fat Tech gold (1953)
Blade: Fly Dear Super Platinum
Brush: Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Amber Aerolite Stygian Synthetic
Lather: Grooming Department Laundry II
Aftershave: Bio Fresh Rose of Bulgaria
Additional Care:
Zingari Recovery (unscented) https://shavingbuddies.com/shave/6480ee2b7561cd6e4045d273

7 June, 2023
Prep: Hot towel
Razor: Weber ARC
Blade: Wizamet Iridium Super
Brush: Zenith EURO/RX
Soap: Reef Point Soaps: Tranquility
Fragrance: Tabac Vert by Rogue Perfumery

Holy moly... I'd actually forgotten how good Reef Point Soaps are/were... I'm that impressed that I'm putting it back into my regular rotation.. Phenomenal shave.

IMG_1893.jpeg
SOTD: 07/06/2023

Razor: Yaqi Mellon Chrome
Blade: Astra SP, 3rd use
Brush: Highlander “Azzuri” Custom Brush Boti 4th Gen Pink 3 Color Synthetic Knot
Bowl: 3D Printed Bowl
Preshave: PAA Cube Unscented Soap
Soap: A&E Summer Fig Puck
Aftershave: A&E Summer Fig Aftershave

Another winner from A&E for me. A more classic scent and I love it.

Back
Top Bottom