SOTD: Saturday 24 June - Friday 30 June 2023.

Tech June-kies ...

Monday 26th June

AJFCJaVNSOeneL8b2j2qaY2J5rIs24AzHur_y9LoVPPjGDcsxn4pCUXIgVrbaZaE4LuUdhs4MND0FiAESG1tl0ZE9slBwUU1ib61H_eKxtuWLMgooyPFj-CwgrHc-VDYLCx-mmU9b9HHS9qcbYHqoDwbCSKDQg=w800

Rolls Razor (Vintage) Shaving Bowl & Ever-Ready 600N Lucite w/Tuxedo Synthetic 26mm
Gillette Tech (British 1940s Ridged Comb) & Gillette Winner (1)
Blue Stratos Aftershave

When my man puts on Blue Stratos ...

Superb shave with the (guessing) 1950s vintage Rolls Razor shaving bowl. What a superb lather! I have no idea who made the actual soap but it's different to what I think is my oldest Cussons and my oldest Culmak. I wonder who made it? Sumptuous!

Cracking shave with this oddity Tech which bears all the hallmarks of the 1940s British flat-bottomed model but with teh ridged comb from the 1950s onwards model. Given the Gillette stamp is on the same part of the baseplate as the 'New' that preceded it rather than on the opposite side of the baseplate as per most such flat-bottomed Techs, I guess it's from the earlier period ... but with the later artefact gives me the idea that Gillette might just have been trying something out and some years later made it standard.

We had a chat about is here: https://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/community/threads/curious-detail-on-this-gillette-tech.52313/

Sharp shave with the Winner. I guess folks disappointed with the new seemingly downgraded Gillette Nacet might want to look to this blade if they want to experience that initially fierce and certainly sharp shave they used to enjoy. Ping @donnie_arko who knows this blade well - just a reminder. Maybe the new Astras have been given an uplift, now they're made in India? Love to try some ...
The first aftershave i ever had was Blue Stratos. I was about 11 or 12 and found it in a drawer of my dad's. He was quite pleased for me to take it off his hands.
It has a fond place in my heart and is part of this little gem I recently acquired.
PXL_20230621_114418466.jpgPXL_20230621_114502491.jpg
I have one of those Rolls Razor bowls. Mine came with a small fragment of soap but it was pretty manky. It looked like a large piece of browned chewed up bubble gum. I lathered it and it lathered really well but couldn't bring myself to use it.

The first aftershave i ever had was Blue Stratos. I was about 11 or 12 and found it in a drawer of my dad's. He was quite pleased for me to take it off his hands.
It has a fond place in my heart and is part of this little gem I recently acquired.
View attachment 107975View attachment 107974
I have one of those Rolls Razor bowls. Mine came with a small fragment of soap but it was pretty manky. It looked like a large piece of browned chewed up bubble gum. I lathered it and it lathered really well but couldn't bring myself to use it.
I saw you acquired that set of frags from yesteryear ... lovely item! You got the Imperial Leather Classic in there, too ... not sure if you have a full bottle of that, but it's quite different to the regular Imperial Leather. I suppose like Brut and Brut 33 are quite different.

From a pre-shaving age I was most taken with Puig Quorum as the frag that I wanted. It ended up being another 30 years until I actually tried it! Probably my favourite frag. I do keep meaning to try a vintage bottle but so much being sold as vintage is questionable and a lot appears to be just the new stuff. I should get a similar selection like you did here ... I have seen them with Quorum and Tabac and so on.

... but yeah, Blue Stratos is still a smashing splash! The new owners don't seem to have messed it up like they did with Ingrams. They got Rapport and Mandate in the portfolio, too.

Last edited:
I saw you acquired that set of frags from yesteryear ... lovely item! You got the Imperial Leather Classic in there, too ... not sure if you have a full bottle of that, but it's quite different to the regular Imperial Leather. I suppose like Brut and Brut 33 are quite different.

From a pre-shaving age I was most taken with Puig Quorum as the frag that I wanted. It ended up being another 30 years until I actually tried it! Probably my favourite frag. I do keep meaning to try a vintage bottle but so much being sold as vintage is questionable and a lot appears to be just the new stuff. I should get a similar selection like you did here ... I have seen them with Quorum and Tabac and so on.

... but yeah, Blue Stratos is still a smashing splash! The new owners don't seem to have messed it up like they did with Ingrams. They got Rapport and Mandate in the portfolio, too.
Yes the IL classic is surprisingly smoky. I like it and note the difference from the classic leathery version.

I have only smelt more modern versions of Mandate, Quorum and Rapport. I like Mandate but not really a fan of the others. Vintage may be better.
I don't like Kouros either, which a lot of people love, but again I've only smelt the modern versions.
I'm also not a fan of Tabac! I feel like a heretic saying all this but just being honest with the versions I've smelt.

Hai Karate is another hand me down from my dad's unwanted Xmas presents drawer. I quite like it but it doesn't have much of an impact. Certainly lacks the necessity of learning martial arts to defend myself from insatiable women as claimed on the bottle.

As an aside, I'm not getting on with the Utro razor. I find it scrapey with every blade I out in it. The opening mechanism is stiff despite me putting oil around it and down the available holes. I also had some issues with blades not seating well.
Still an interesting bit of shaving history that I'm sure many would overlook (and perhaps rightly so)

IMG_2051.jpeg
SOTD: 26/06/2023

Razor: Wolfman WR4
Blade: Feather Pro, 3rd use
Brush: Highlander Chubby Style Boti Fan Knot Synthetic
Bowl: 3D Printed Bowl
Preshave: PAA Cube Unscented Soap
Soap: HC&C White Star Southern Comfort Puck
Balm: Baxter Of California Aftershave Balm
Fragrance: Maison Alhambra Woody Oud EdP

Day 3 and the razor is still lovely! The skin is holding out well, the razor heads shaving angle is easy to find and the results still outstanding! I’m going to try another blade tomorrow but the ease at which it’s tamed the feather pro I doubt it’ll have any problems!

SOTD: 27th June 2023.

3.jpg

Shaving Recipe for today.

Prep: Warm shower:/ Radox Feel Active Sea Salt & Lemongrass Shower Gel.

Pre:
Cold wet flannel to my face & head.
Pears with Mint Extracts Transparent Bar Soap.
Cold wet flannel to my face & head.
Brush: Lider Turkish Boar.
Face & Head Lather.
Lather: Derby Soap Bowl.
Razor: 1940's Thin Handle Gillette Flat Bottom Tech. (ENG)- Gillette Super Blue. (3)
Razor: Baili BD 191. (Head/Dome) - Chinese Gillette Super Blue. (D2)

Cold water Face & Head wash with brush squeezing's, Cold Water Cold Water Face & Head Rinse./Alum Rub./Cold Water Rinse/Homemade (~Spring/Summer mix~) Lemon, Eucalyptus, Tea Tree, Essential Oils.3 Menthol Crystals Mixed Together With 200ml of Care+Witch Hazel./Gummy Traditional Turkish Lavender Cologne. / Aloe Vera Cooling Gel.

Greetings,

Early morning Shave,

It's been a while since i last had a Turkish theme shave and forgot how much I like them.

The Derby soap bowl provides a wonderful dense slick protective lather, which is equal to the shave stick if not better for it's lather density.

The scent of both the Derby & Arko soaps is something i personally don't mind to my sense of smell it's just a 'clean pleasant soap/lemon scent' which like the vast majority of shaving soaps with a few rules to the exception the scent vanishes after i have done my cold water face.

A enjoyable early morning comfortable face & head shave with no errors to report. Finishing the shave off with a few small dollops of Aloe Vera Cooling Gel.

My face & precious swede are feeling smooth & smelling divine. ;)

Keep safe, and enjoy your day ladies & gentlemen. :cool:

Last edited:
Tue 27
Soap Ariana & Evans London
Brush Yaqi 24mm Cavern Lake
Razor Wade & Butcher 7/8 Steamship
Aftershave Clubman Brandy Spice
Nice enough lather from the soap+brush combo.
This heavy-weight razor was refreshed again on the HBA, resulting in an enjoyable buttery smooth edge...nice!
20230627_123906.jpg

SOTD 27-June
20230626_140334.jpg
Brush: C&H 'Eyespot' V18
Soap: Shulton Old Spice
Razor: Merkur 39C
Blade: Wizamet

Very nice shave this morning, no issue on the neck this time around. I'm not sure I can tell much of a difference with the slant but maybe slightly less blade feel than a number of my others but an equally good finish, not sure really. Doesn't really matter to be fair, a very nice shave.

Hope everyone has a grand day.

Cheers

Marc

Last edited:
ZGyOf6I.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glicerlanolina Soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Shavemac 3-band Silvertip Badger
Cream: Triumph & Disaster Old Fashioned Shave Cream
Razor: Wolfman WR-1
Blade: Vintage NOS German-packaged Wilkinson Sword Light Brigade (11)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, Crown Shaving Co. Aftershave Lotion
Scent: Czech & Speake Spanish Cedar EdP

27 June

PAA Solstice
Simpson M7
Razorock Hawk v3
Schick Proline
Floïd Mentolado Vigoroso

DD6B4B33-5A2A-407A-B87B-484D57F8903D.jpeg
Superb luxurious two pass shave this morning. The unbridled extravagance of the Manchurian badger brush couldn’t have contrasted more with the Omega boar from yesterday. I prefer the badger…and not just a little bit!

27/06/23
Pre - Droyt's Classic Glycerose Soap
Brush - Yaqi Sagrada Familia 24mm Synth
Soap - OSP Old Gold
Razor - Blackland ERA L3
Blade - Kai DE Stainless
Post - Cold water Rinse
Balm - Proraso Red
A/S - Old Spice Original
Wk 26 (4).jpg
For me, the Kai Blade really suits the "mild" L3 ERA, 3 very comfortable passes for an easy BBS finish.
The little Yaqi brush is a top performer for the price paid and always delivers, it produced a lovely lather today.
I have actually finished a pot of the Proraso Red Pre/post shave cream which i only use post shave, it has lasted about 4 years. I will not be replacing it as i have a lot of balms to get through.
Stay safe and enjoy your day all.

Back
Top Bottom