SOTD : Saturday 22nd May to Friday 28th May 2021.

22/5/21

Pre - Unscented Soap
Brush - Yaqi Sagrada Tuxedo 24mm
Soap - MWF
Razor - Wilko Classic Plastic
Blade - Gillette 365 (5)
Post - Witch Hazel
AS - Cien Aqua

I wasn't massively enthusiastic about the Gillette 365 for it's first few shaves, but it's definitely lost it's initial harshness and it's very smooth now. A great shave today with the MWF lather; very little post shave irritation and my face is feeling very smooth and comfortable.

Have a good weekend gents.

22/05/21
Straight Shave Saturday
Pre: Cold water face wash
Brush: Silver Birch Brushes - 26mm Silvertip Cocobolo
Soap: OSP Tallow Cream Trial
Razor: 5/8 Thiers Issard "Evide Sonnant"
Edge by: @Fergiebilly
Post shave: Alum, Cold water Rinse, TC's infused Witch Hazel
Balm: Gucci By Gucci - Finished off today
Aftershave: Vintage Avon "Siege Cannon"
Wk21 (2).JPG
Today i tried a cold water face wash then straight onto the shave.
The OSP trial cream whipped up a far too much wonderful slickness in no time with the 26mm Silvertip and Bideford mixing bowl.
With the face suitably covered, i did work it on the face a bit as this brush just feels fantastic on the chops,
I completed a my 2 pass shave routine of a full WTG pass followed by ATG up the neck to the jaw line, then ATG from Ears to nose.
Now then, the first pass felt different, the edge was nice enough although it did not seem to be as close as usual, i am going to put it down to poor preparation, i think i need to soak my bristles a bit more when using a straight as after a rinse, check and a longer, lather application the second pass was as smooth as silk.
I completed a little touch up on the Whirlpools resulting in a DFS++ finish, all very nice.
I have been on the hunt for some interesting A/S bottles of late and came across a couple of Avon Siege Cannon's 1 x which was still sealed 1 x Empty. I tried a dab yesterday behind my ear to see if there was any reaction to it - all OK so it was splashed on to finish the shave, the scent is sort of Vintage Old Spice-ish, not too heavy and spicey, i like it, its still there a couple of hours later. Only thing is, i forgot to pop it in the photo, this will be remedied tomorrow.
Stay safe and enjoy your day All

Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Semogue SOC 2 Band Finest Badger in Butterscotch 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Noble Otter ~ The Night Before
Razor/Blade:- Merkur 34G / Wizamet Polsilver Brown Stainless #4
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- L'Occitane Baux

View attachment 70290

Razor: Rockwell Model T (2,3)
Blade: Gillette Super Blue (1)

Right, down to the shave itself. Razor dropped to 2 WTG with a Super Blue in the seat. Smooth as you like again, but little clearance. Up to 3 for across, and it's done a good job. We have a DFS with a couple of weepers, but again the razor feels like it's holding back blades I know perform well for me.
I'll take today's result. The Tabac scent has cheered me up further, the sun's poked its head out and we have friends coming over with their daughter for tea (my famous Spag Bol in case you're interested - got to coordinate food colour with SOTD photos;))
Have a great weekend, gents :giggle:

The Model T is a strange one for me. Sometimes it's very well behaved, at others it's a vicious B and just wants to cut me. I find it's heavily blade dependent and that anything sharp but not smooth has the sharpness amplified. Feathers? No. GWS? No. Voskhod and Med Preps? Yes. With those two I can up the setting to 4 or 5 and still not slice myself.

Have a great weekend too! :)

The Model T is a strange one for me. Sometimes it's very well behaved, at others it's a vicious B and just wants to cut me. I find it's heavily blade dependent and that anything sharp but not smooth has the sharpness amplified. Feathers? No. GWS? No. Voskhod and Med Preps? Yes. With those two I can up the setting to 4 or 5 and still not slice myself.

Now for me, the Voskhods were horrendous. The only decent shaves I've managed are with a 365 (one shave, died) and a Super Blue today. It's not so much getting sliced as a poor cut and irritation - although 365 day 2 shave was carnage!

22 May

Martin de Candre Original
Razorock Bruce
Rex Ambassador (2)
Kai Stainless (3)
Signature Soaps Leodis splash

19F3F37E-8A30-462E-BF87-81417D9354BD.jpeg

A wonderful shave today, two super smooth passes and a very close shave resulted. The Razorock brush is an inexpensive gem and created mountains of lather from the Martin de Candre soap. The Kai blade is proving to be very smooth and sharp in this razor, and I suspect is good for a couple more shaves yet. Happy shaves everyone.

Now for me, the Voskhods were horrendous. The only decent shaves I've managed are with a 365 (one shave, died) and a Super Blue today. It's not so much getting sliced as a poor cut and irritation - although 365 day 2 shave was carnage!

I have to be honest i had no issues whatsoever with mine, i actually really liked it, it got on with any blade i put in it, i was going through a few trial packs of blades at the time. i then got my Rex and it was just left to one side - unloved.
I used it on setting 3 and basically sold my Original 6S (mainly used plate 3 or 4) on because i thought the Model T was a better razor?
It is probably worth sticking with one blade and get the shave angle right.
T

The Saturday shave after a warm shower .

Soap. ....... ToBS Tobacco Leaf
Brush. ...... Simpson Berkeley 46
Razor. ....... CB Karve (c)
Blade. ...... Nacet
Asb. ....... L’Oreal
ASL. ........ Tabac

A nice smooth finish to a pleasant shave. No rush, nice and easy.. Happy Happy
Stay safe, keep smiling
D8C947FC-F5AB-4ADA-8F39-C61551036E67.jpeg

New soap, new blade and a new aftershave

Pre : warm water
Brush : Omega Hi-Brush 0146711
Soap : Cella Milano almond
Razor : Edwin Jagger DES89KNBLAMZ
Blade : Voskhod
After shave : Floïd Mentolado Vigoroso

I have to get used to the smell of the Cella. It's a nice smell but totally different from my other soaps / creams.
The Voskhod is really nice, smooth and sharp. Definitely worth buying some more.
The Floïd aftershave has a nice smell and feels very refreshing.

Back
Top Bottom