SOTD : Saturday 19th June to Friday 25th June 2021.

Interesting.

I bought mine a while back and it is quite hard. Mine could have been old stock or it has got firmer as it has dried out.

Or it could be she has issues with consistency?

It's still a very good soap!
There is a bit yield to mine and so far it sits comfortably in a container that held TOBS Sandalwood soap (but only briefly - see above) and Vitos Super Red.

Prep: Shower with No. 7 face scrub and PAA cube.

Pre: PAA cube

Soap: TOBS Royal Forest Shaving Cream.

Brush ;Shave Brush 24 Mm Oumobrush Silvertip In a Handmade Bog Oak Handle
Razor: Homelike Start.

Blade: Astra SP.

Post: Alum, Baxter’s of California Shave Tonic and Baxter’s aftershave balm.
Another clean smooth shave from the homelike Start. It’s definitely moving toward the top of my list of current razors. Smooth and effortless every time and feels like this could quite easily be my daily driver with the twig.
As for my other Taylor’s soap it is a much softer, lighter scent light apple and citrus with a herbal forest mixed in lightly. It’s scent strength grows slightly when lathered which is good as it was on the mild side for me, but the soap base is as fantastic as always. Not bad for a freebie!

Attachments

• 41F988DC-B5A6-498F-83DD-2DC8F56117A1.jpeg
    41F988DC-B5A6-498F-83DD-2DC8F56117A1.jpeg
    80.2 KB · Views: 6
Prep: shower with Nivea (Protect & Care) Deep face wash
Pre: SE Pre Shave Oil
Razor: Feather Artist Club SS
Blade: Feather Professional Light (2)
Brush: EJ Silvertip Synthetic
S Soap: Zingari - Magician

This morning I got bitten!

Despite my initial thought to stick to Pro Guards until I get some mileage, I decided to go for the Lights thinking they'll be a milder blade and to see how the shave feels without those guards. Well yes they are milder as they don't protrude as much as the pro guards but because of that I'm finding a bit more difficult to find the right angle. First shave with the Lights went pretty well so this morning it was the second run with the same blade.

All was good until my XTG pass and left hand in charge. On this nefarious stroke the attack angle was off by a few degrees......just a few ;).
Did I get punished because of that? Oh yes I did. The merciless light blade left an inch long reminder on my cheek that sharp objects should be ALWAYS treated with the deserved amount of respect. Finished the pass with the shavette but deflated by the event I went to my Tatara Masamune for the ATG pass. Not having used a DE in more than a week this was a very very pleasant experience. They don't call them safety razors for nothing. Perfect BBS finish!

I'll put the beast back in its cage for the weekend, let the wound (and ego) heal a bit and then back on my shavette journey from Monday.

Sorry, but I was in no mood to take a picture of the perpetrator!
I am making my way up the learning curve with the AC SS as well. I also just recently tried the Lights in place of the ProGuards to see if that would be milder but I found the opposite. More irritation and mistakes with the Lights than the ProGuards. My theory was that I was accommodating for the lesser exposure with a steeper angle; which led to a rougher shave. When I went back to the ProGuards it was much more comfortable. I did give it a good run with the Lights and tried to concentrate on angle and placement but I think I will stick with ProGuards. Someone with better skills than I may have better luck.

Anyone tried the SoftGuards in an AC SS? They have the same exposure as the ProGuards and also have the potential for a milder shave.

And the last of this week's SOTD's and complete with the theme 'Sorrento the great Mexican magician'

IMG_20210624_222414.jpg

Cutting people in half - Stainless Mongoose
Disappearing wallets - Kai Captain
Escaping secure locations - Yaqi Dandelion
Transposition of bank accounts - Moon Soaps Sorrento

damas y caballeros I give you the Great Sorrento. Bought from the BST and many thanks to @Olie29 for the opportunity for this wonderful purchase.

Described as being a citrus scent it is actually very subdued in a potato kind of way. Still it is very pleasant and not overwhelming which is nice; unlike many which have a rather artificial fragrance about them. Incredibly easy to face lather and produces a very useable shaving medium which lasts the distance. First class glide properties and a nice slickness which allows for a pleasant comfortable shave. Very much a tick in the boxes soap. Made for the Yaqi and the Yaqi made for soaping.
'What do you mean, did I fart? Heaven forbid'

A good solid start to this shave and the story just gets better. A new blade in the Mongoose and as per usual with a new SE blade a few weepers but nothing to cry about (which is a bit of a contradiction to the term 'weeper') and nothing Dr Styptic couldn't take care of in a giphy

After my previous 'rescued' shave this one brought men's sink time back in to focus. A very pleasant shave and jelly smooth.

Pink Panda smooth. It could only be Japan

Last edited:
And the last of this week's SOTD's and complete withe theme 'Sorrento the great Mexican magician'

View attachment 72311

Cutting people in half - Stainless Mongoose
Disappearing wallets - Kai Captain
Escaping secure locations - Yaqi Dandelion
Transposition of bank accounts - Moon Soaps Sorrento

damas y caballeros I give you the Great Sorrento. Bought from the BST and many thanks to @Olie29 for the opportunity for this wonderful purchase.

Described as being a citrus scent it is actually very subdued in a potato kind of way. Still it is very pleasant and not overwhelming which is nice; unlike many which have a rather artificial fragrance about them. Incredibly easy to face lather and produces a very useable shaving medium which lasts the distance. First class glide properties and a nice slickness which allows for a pleasant comfortable shave. Very much a tick in the boxes soap. Made for the Yaqi and the Yaqi made for soaping.
'What do you mean, did I fart? Heaven forbid'

A good solid start to this shave and the story just gets better. A new blade in the Mongoose and as per usual with a new SE blade a few weepers but nothing to cry about (which is a bit of a contradiction to the term 'weeper') and nothing Dr Styptic couldn't take care of in a giphy

After my previous 'rescued' shave this one brought men's sink time back in to focus. A very pleasant shave and jelly smooth.

Pink Panda smooth. It could only be Japan

Glad you enjoyed the sorrento Chris the scent is said to come from some type of citrus plant grown in Italy..I agree though a lot of citrus scents are just artificial fragrance oils

Friday AM 2021-06-25
Barbed wire patented on this date, 1874
Bszg8Ws.jpg

Rooney 3/1 Ebony Finest (22/48)
Ethos Grooming Vanilla Safi shaving soap
Wolfman WR2-SB 0.95/WRH2
Gillette Stainless Steel 'Spoiler' (12)
Ginger's Garden Springtime in Paris aftershave

This was my first use of the Vanilla Safi, and it made very rich, slick lather. I wished that the scent was stronger; but the problem no doubt is my 73-year-old nose, not the soap.
OT70umP.jpg

Friday 25th June

AM-JKLW6dGo7Kn8WqBsUWHGrtJpMqliTcDHfdNYRd4qwA7kpW_GxSseL9G5j32yECTstDNlnW2Kusvg8XNHzjmEYEZ8anlSMs_tXnPKpUhBkfbZ5Co7zaJ3x5L2mHkjfeHHGS1hsYibEKsaK51ecZj5LBwORng=s800

Ganders Goat Soap w/Hop, Sage & Birch
Shaving Station/OSP Spirits Shaving Soap
RazoRock 400 (Orange) w/Omega Professional Boar
Muhle Rocca R95
Rise Classic (1)
Shaving Station/OSP Spirits Aftershave

End of the week shave with the Shaving Station soap/aftershave combo ... enjoyed!

While I rate the Rise Stainless (in the purple pack) very highly indeed, the Rise Classic simply does not rise to the occasion. It's sharp (enough) and a little rough running, something I actually quite like, but doesn't quite hit the shave from the regular SuperMax stainless blades under their various guises.

Let's take a step back here ...

On the Rise Stainless (in the purple pack) it states that the blades are manufactured for SuperMax. For, not by, which begs the question why a metallics company the size of Vidyut with a reputation to boot would have anyone (else) make blades for them. These Rise Classics don't quite say that; they say "Distributed by SuperMax" and inform us that they we "Made in Bangladesh" ... and so I'll take a guess at a sub-contract here for the Bangladesh market.

The thing is, the Rise Stainless (in the purple pack) is a heck of blade ... like PermaSharp Super or (Lord) Silver Star Stainless kinda good and rather puts SuperMax's own blades under their various brands quite to shame. Curious.

Still, I got shaved ... better than many blades I've tried and still pulls a rating in the 7s, which is a workable blade for me. Nowt special.

Enjoy your Friday night, fellows. Enjoy your weekend.

Last edited:
Fri 25th June

RR 400. SE- Plissoft noir
Vitos Super Red
RR S/S Hawk V3- OC
Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG ( 2 )
Pitralon Classic A/S Lotion

This is proving to be a good match of blade to the Hawk. Suits my beard well, can work away to get rid of growth from all stubborn areas, leaving me rather squeaky clean.

1BC9928B-3EBF-4A33-94D5-C28257CE9B87.jpeg

Hi Shubs,

My HWF soap is quite soft - so much so I was able to mould it in to a ceramic dish.
Is there a new (hard) version of this soap now?
I have six pucks in reserve and they do tend to get firmer as they cure for a while.
Just given mine a quick squeeze and they have got a little firmer over the time I've had them. :)

Paul.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom