SOTD: Saturday 17 September - Friday 23 September

Used my Schick Type A1 from 1926(7), an auspicious year for the UK, as well as colonel Schick. The original owner had a sterling silver sheath fitted (slides off easily) hence the smooth look but underneath the handle is fluted so it’s the earliest version of the Type A. I gave it a first try out on Saturday, with a new Schick blade and applied decent lather but it felt like I was scrubbing my face with emery paper so I quickly moved to a Mach 3. General view of users is that these Schick repeaters can be a tad aggressive due to age, wear and tear, who knows, but to me the blade gap just looked too big and the blade didn’t quite sit well in the head. So out with the trusty Polimide Kapton tape, put a few strips on the back of the blade, reinstalled and got a much closer fit with slightly reduced blade gap. The result was a smooth shave, enhanced by a generous lather with Floris 89 soap applied with a elderly Boots bristle brush. I’m blown away by the distinctive and lustrous smell from this soap, probably my favourite at the momen.
I gave a final polish, but not really needed if I’m honest, with my focus EVO. Applied Man Cave moisturiser and I’m now ready to start painting my conservatory, a job I’ve been putting off for a while now :)
Have a great day fellas.

CE88BF9A-C7CD-4631-8648-907571527E7A.jpeg

Tue 20th September

The Grosvenor 404 mixed
Vitos Super Red
Gem Micromatic
Schick S/S Twin- Japan ( 1 )
Floid Vigoroso A/S Lotion

A bit experimental today , have tried a Single Injector Blade in this Razor and had good Shaves. Read of Shaver using a Twin Blade in the Micromatic, so thought I might try it again. I had previously tried but decided against as getting against the blade stops a bit fiddly.
However, this time got the blade nice and secure, Shaving was fine and I got a good finish around the face, but not that good around the neck. Finished up unscathed with no post Shave problems, but mixed results do not really justify the use of a Twin Blade in a Micromatic.

CCF7EA14-A1C7-46CA-A81B-C87AB7F59961.jpeg

Last edited:
Tuesday AM 2022-09-20
National Pepperoni Pizza Day
Nc92EA9.jpg

Rooney Emillion 2 Porcelain-Jade Finest (24/55)
Soap Commander Love (True Rose) shaving soap
Wolfman WR2-SB Antique Bronze/WRH7
Wilkinson Light Brigade (7)
Christian Dior Homme aftershave
h2w45iI.jpg

055B521D-8BB5-4B31-95B7-7D0538132252.jpeg
SOTD: 20/09/2022

Razor: Yaqi The Final Cut Brass
Blade: Pol Silver Super Iridium, 2nd use
Brush: Shedeleven Spalted Scottish Hawthorn AP Shave Co G5C 26mm Fan
Bowl: Captains Choice Copper Lather Bowl Standard Bowl
Preshave: PAA Cube Unscented Soap
Soap: Tabac Original Puck
Aftershave: Tabac Original Cologne
Balm: L’Oreal Men Expert Reinforcing Aftershave Balm
Additional Care: Osma Laboratoires Alum Block

Can’t praise this razor enough, glass smooth again and no effort, the Polsilver blade was better on its second use. It was so efficient I had to drop it from setting 3 to 2 for the final pass as it did such a good job yesterday and today. It was a great start to my Tabac Tuesday!
All the best guys.

SOTD: 20/09/2022

Razor: Colonial General With UFO Colibri Handle
Blade: Feather Professional, 2nd use
Brush: Simpsons Chubby 3 Sovereign Grade
Bowl: Lickimat Wobble Green Bowl
Preshave: Proraso Red Sandalwood Cream
Soap: Southern Witchcrafts Autumn Ash Croap
Aftershave: Southern Witchcrafts Autumn Ash Aftershave
Additional Care: Shave Tunes Courtesy Of ELO's Greatest Hits
Additional Care: Wife Sniff Test = Not Too Bad At All

So it seems like Autumn is arriving.

Continuing with the diving down the SE rabbit hole theme. I have three budget SE razors on their way so I might as well carry on with the General to get a good baseline. Plus I have 5 different blades so I have to setup a rotation so I shave with each razor 5 times. I think I will need a spreadsheet for this.

Not sure if it's best to use one blade and change razors or one razor and change blades. Probably the latter I think. Having never done a comparison like this before I don't think one shave will be enough either. Even then it's going to take a month or so to get to the end. At least by the end I will be able to rank razors and blades for my use and decide on which are keepers and which I will move on.

I will keep the same soap etc when I start to give everything a fighting chance.

029C83E6-CE97-4345-950B-5832692A0B8E.jpeg

307488304_1503106983443791_7298471374950218716_n.jpg
Prep:

Shower, Palmolive
Olive Oil Soap
Soap: Ach Brito Mogno
Brush: 26mm Yaqi Mysterious Space Tuxedo
Razor: Merkur 34C HD
Blades: Gillette Super Blue (2)

Loving these quick pre-work shaves and revisiting some of the cheaper bits in the cupboard. Sierran Breeze is a great example of a budget ASL that does everything required.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom