SOTD : Saturday 12th February-Friday 18th February 2022.

Thursday:
As we're not at war (yet) with Russia, I thought I'd use my most Russian sounding blade - I expect that 60% (if not more) of the blades in my den are actually made in Russia anyway, but Voshkod sounds far more Russian than Ladas or Rapira, although Sputnik would also work!

Aristocrat #66 with a Voshkod installed.

It's not the smoothest shave, but certainly ended up DFS and efficient.

DG Apogee was fairly dry and I added tons of water, then leaving it fairly sloppy to keep enough water on my face. It was still not quite as smooth as I like, such as a Nacet or Perma sharp.

Have a good day

Attachments

• IMG_20220217_084938__01.jpg
    IMG_20220217_084938__01.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 5
17/02/22
Pre - Shower
Brush - MÜHLE Lge Classic Silvertip Synth
Soap - Signature Soap Vectis
Razor - Feather SS Scotch wood SCS - RSW
Blade - Feather Pro Guard (6)
Post - Cold water Rinse, TC's infused Witch Hazel
Balm - Tonyschin's Cedarwood and Patchouli Balm
A/S - Brut Original
Wk07 (6).JPG
A very nice shave again today with the "training wheels" of the guarded blade.
2 passes and touch ups for a very comfortable, smooth finish. No errors to report.
Stay safe and enjoy your day all.

Last edited:
20220217_053822.jpg
SOTD 17th Feb
Brush - Omega S Brush
Soap - Reef Point Calming Spice
Razor - Ever Ready 1912 Bathroom Set
Blade - Gem Personna SSC #3
Post - Barts Balm Loch More lotion

Acquired this excellent razor from the Gent that is Mike @mpf9ret .
I'm so happy with it - another Gem style razor I'll be rotating regularly.
The lighter handle actually makes it more nimble (which i didn't expect as I tend to like heavier handles) and gave 3 cracking passes for an easy DFS finish.
The supporting cast was equally impressive - mountains of gorgeous smelling lather finished off with Barts super moisturising lotion.
Take care all - batten down the hatches - and enjoy your shaves

Thursday AM 2022-02-17
The first comic strip superhero, 'The Phantom,' debuted in newspapers on this date in 1936
Uoi8h5w.jpg

Rooney 1/1 Ivory Finest (22/45)
XPEC Original shaving cream (vintage Forester Milan version) + Triple Rose absolute hydrosol
LASSC BBS-1
Personna 74 Tungsten (14)
Aramis Tuscany aftershave
IdnTz2f.jpg

SOTD
Pre Proraso White
Henson AL13 Medium and Yaqi Tile with Alpha Sure Grip handle both loaded with a Perma Sharp blade.
Yaqi Aqua Badger 26mm brush
Razorock Blue Barbershop soap
Aqua Velva splash
RS balm.

So today's shave was a head to head between the Henson medium and the Yaqi Tile.
A little on quality before I get to the shave.
Upon inspection the Yaqi Tile has much poorer quality fitment than the Henson but that was to be expected due to the Hensons production at an aerospace manufacturing facility. The head cap on the Tile is slightly off and a little loose compared to the Henson. I tried the top cap of the Henson on the Tile base plate and it was perfect but that defeats the object. The blade alignment is perfect on the Henson and the Tile needs a little jiggery pokery to get it just right as the top cap is a little misshapen, but don't let that put you off.
The obvious.
The weight difference between the two set ups is significant and has to be taken into account regardless of the result. The Henson weighs in at about 37g and the Yaqi Tile on the Sure Grip is about 100g.
Onto the shave.
I prepped my face with a hot wash and applied the Proraso white pre shave. The already soaked brush was loaded with the Razorock soap for fifteen seconds and applied straight to the face for a good lathering. This brush is excellent, the scent of the soap filled the bathroom and it produced a delightful lather with a consistency of a supermarket branded yogurt. These razors by design seem to prefer a wetter lather.
I warmed the Henson for the first pass with the grain on the left hand side of my face and proceeded to shave off two days growth which It had no trouble dealing with whilst having minimal blade feel and lightweight in the hand. On to the right side with the Yaqi Tile and I could feel the difference in both weight of the razor and feel of the blade and I deliberately used different hands so I wouldn't need to adjust muscle memory. A quick rinse and feel and there was no noticable difference.
I lathered up and started on the left again for the across the grain pass which on my face is straight up. This time the Henson felt even smoother with even less blade feel than before even on my chin which i find notoriously difficult to get smooth. On to the right side with the Yaqi and I could still feel the blade, not uncomfortably though. Pass completed with a rinse and a feel. The Henson had edged out in front with both comfort and growth reduction.
I eagerly lathered for a third pass against the grain which for me is west to east and this was the money pass. I started on the right as I naturally do this time with the Yaqi Tile and this pass felt a little uncomfortable to me, similar to the Lupo 0.95 razor for blade feel. Over to the Henson for the left side and no such discomfort was felt, indeed almost no blade feel. A rinse, a check and I needed a pick up pass, although more on the right side with the Tile.
So still determined to use both razors for this pass I cleaned up the very few areas I normally have on the jaw line and neck. The Henson still audible with what it found but no blade feel at all and the Yaqi was the same as it had been throughout the shave. Job done!
Thoughts.
Now I like a heavier razor and I must admit the Henson took a couple of shaves to get it down but once accustomed no problems. The Henson is a quality razor worthy of its price tag although I won't be buying the aggressive in grade 5 titanium for $249!
The Yaqi Tile is what it is, a Chinese copy. But don't let that put you off, it does the job quite nicely and although it reminded me of the Lupo at one point did a much better job than said razor.
So who won?
For me it was the Henson all day long, better engineering, nicer blade feel and better finish to the shave by a small margin.
These are my opinions only and the ramblings of an old idiot. Your mileage may vary!
Happy Shaving ☺

IMG_20220217_190127_620.jpg

430F013F-7E33-448E-8712-95BB483F42FE.jpeg
SOTD: 17/02/2022

Razor: Blackland Blackbird
Blade: Gillette Nacet, 3rd use
Brush: Shedeleven Spalted Scottish Hawthorn AP Shave Co G5C 26mm Fan
Bowl: Captains Choice Copper Lather Bowl Standard Bowl
Preshave: PAA Cube Unscented Soap
Soap: Lothur Tears Croap
Balm: Baxter Of California Aftershave Balm
Additional Care: Osma Laboratoires Alum Block

A superb close shave, excellent lather and great post shave feel. There’s a good reason this razor has survived my recent cull!
Enjoy what left of the day guys.

Razor = One Blade Hybrid
Blade Feather
Brush = PAA’s 26mm Star Wisp
Soap = Wet The Face Sakura
Splash = DG Mayflower
Balm = Barts Balms Ben Nevis
453CFE5E-AD3A-44B9-8BDD-2FFE800DDE5C.jpegOver the moon with this shave& another BBS.
It’s not something i strive for but sometimes it just happens.

The Soap for me is top drawer infact i can’t remember seeing Wet The Face on here to often if at all.
it’s really worth a try
oh well a late one for me it’s nearly bed time
i’m so busy i have absolutely nothing to do tomorrow lol
Stay Safe Lads

Last edited:
Fri 18 SOTD
Soap Stirling Executive Man
Brush Yaqi 24mm Purple Haze Mew Brown Synthetic
Razor Gillette Single Ring
Blade Sharp Star Platinum 1st
Aftershaves Stirling Witchhazel Bergamot Lavender + Stirling Executive Man Splash with some Frost Drops!
Beautiful creamy and slick lather from this soap today. The scent is just awesome...
This shave with my oldest DE razor paired with the special blade was nothing but perfection. This razor can be cranky and blade choice makes a difference. 3 very smooth, comfortable, and crisply efficient passes gave me a bbs result without any issues. The blade is good! The aftershaves were terrific as well with my wife giving me extra kisses prior to sending me off to work.
20220218_092117.jpg

Back
Top Bottom