SOTD: Saturday 02 to Friday 08 of October 2021

Sunday 3rd October SOTD

Soap • WSP Spring Rain
Brush • Yaqi Mokka Express
Razor • Classic Cobra
Blade • Kai Captain Titan Mild Pink (2)
Post • 4711 Aftershave
Scent • Dior Eau Sauvage Extreme EdT

I broke the cardinal rule this morning (Grandson was due to arrive at 10AM, so wanted to be ready for the day ahead) and skipped prep, aside from wetting my face - and I paid the price . . .weepers galore.
Despite having excellent lather, it seems it was inevitable.
I won't be making the same mistake again in a hurry.

Sunday 3rd October

AM-JKLWXxwAi5RSqLPBhkbXk_1RDebxeNnYKqJi-hUTbzLExXG7mlBuk4pTTVjebWhpfhgBOmwgF53K4Oh5SoPCjOSLpK4neqK1KzGW3J8cNGz49RcK5tvk1bxcqyiIgrsCqhYzI0FqDujeUPIuUHtevYkQQdg=s800

Ganders Goat Soap w/Hop, Sage & Birch
Tabac (Vintage) Shaving Soap
RazoRock 400 Limited Edition w/Plissoft Noir 24mm
AutoStrop 7 O'Clock
GEM by Personna Stainless (7)
Tabac (Vintage) Aftershave

I enjoyed reading about @Dave in KY 's shave with his 7 O'Clock last month a popped mine into rotation ...

I found my original post from when I bought my razor and restored it to some shining glory: https://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/community/threads/autostrop-7-oclock.25467/

... of course I now know that indeed this 7 O'Clock is related to Gillette's 7 O'Clock as AutoStrop was Gaisman's company before he pwned Gillette and brought his trademarks in.

AM-JKLVPNWIti7tcwxmkaxesQp-7F-Feh-a-b_ynD6LXZYADyvn5D4tmL0mX6bf80bNFYSZFWuyq7AoGZ-j4gw99EcqzJYRau4cdaYABpTQf2luouvvwXN4Q4zOBqkHtScQSc3Lkd4H7jtvTKprNbsroyhabZw=s800

With the spine remove (and the back corners cracked off), the GEM blade is perfect for this razor and has what might initially feel like a too slight presentation, but it sits on the blade supports just right and makes the angle very obvious. If you get striations in your lather from the comb, the angle needs to be steeper - once established, that angle gives a very smooth and comfortable shave. So much so, I made an almost unheard of against the grain pass. Super-smooth!

I'm calling my Tabac vintage now as it's the generation before the last and now that the soap has also undergone a reformulation, it is indeed vintage.

Sunday AM 2021-10-03
National Bum Day
6fP3t3M.jpg

Rooney 3/3 Porcelain Finest (26/59)
Ralph Lauren Safari shaving soap (tallow)
Haircut & Shave P076-SB 17-4/Triad Aristocrat Black
Polsilver Super Iridium (12)
Ralph Lauren Safari aftershave (vintage)

An excellent slow shave on a rainy morning, with Baroque music on the radio (including Bobby McFerrin singing a cello part on a Vivaldi double concerto); Baroque music always seems, for some illogical reason, to fit the autumn season best. I enjoyed the Safari software, which definitely would be in the running for my desert island shave setup if I were to be so limited. And the blade, at the end of its life, was dragging in the H&S, which - although quite good - is probably the least smooth of my 10 razors. And before anyone jumps on me for using the politically incorrect term 'bum,' the cartoon is from a time when there were more clearly defined itinerant hoboes and bums...
VUiIA2B.jpg

F0F8001E-0F42-45D9-ADCA-4A507775868D.pngRazor = Feather AS-D2
Blade = Gillette Super Thin Stainless ( 2 )
Brush = The Darn Robb 24mm Boar
Soap = Mudder Focker
Splash = Tobs Eton College Collection
Balm = Australian Bodycare

Anyway top notch mix n match shave tonight
Iv only used this soap twice now but it’s a very good performer and a wonderful post shave feel.
Onwards & Upwards
Stay Safe

Sotd-03-10-21.jpg
This afternoon -

razor - Vector (on loan)
blade - Proline P30 (6)
brush - Frank Shaving two-band 22mm
soap - A&E Revolution sample
post - witch hazel
a/s - Old Spice classic
balm - Floid.

Excellent. Another bounty from the great tidy-up, a sample of A&E Revolution. I have limited experience of their products but expected a good soap base with well carried out scents. The Revolution was just that, mind you - I can't remember the last time I saw an ingredients list that was less vegan - if that concerns you. To my shame I cannot remember who was kind enough to send me the sample - presumably you know who you are - thank you. Cheers all - shave well. I.

My shave today was an unexpected bonus. Having had a few rather close ones this week I gave my face a day off yesterday. Feeling a bit scruffy today and with an early start tomorrow, I figured I'd have a quick, functional one.

Pre: just a hot shower with Original Source mint shower gel, and hot towel
Soap: Cremo
Brush: Yaqi Moka Express synth.
Razor: '63 ball end Tech
Blade: Nacet (2)
AS: Tabac

For an almost snatched last minute one, it turned out a belter. Without undue fannying about, I whipped the Cremo stick round me chops and painted it up to a lush creamy consistency with the moka. The Tech, mild as always, made short work of a couple of days growth, and the Nacet on its second outing seemed to be in its sweet spot, gliding effortlessly through the stubble, silky smooth (where on the first use it felt a bit keen). I was 90% done on 1st pass, two would have been quite sufficient to be honest, but I went for 3 and even the fool's pass was comfortable. (Is it still called a fool's pass with a DE or only with a straight?)

Anyways, I was super pleased with the result and that Cremo stick has gone up in my estimation. I kinda like the sweet vanilla and menthol smell too, in a weird way. It's almost a bit tacky, like admitting to preferring Haribo over Belgian chocolates, but a nice start to Sunday.

I have to say, too, that despite Yaqi not having quite the same level of cachet as my Simpson or PAA, the Moka synth actually is a really nice everyday brush. Super soft yet with sufficient backbone and flow, and solid in the hand. It's better than it has a right to be somehow, and I enjoy it every time it comes round again in the rotation.

16332942367063476905307462894320.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom