SOTD: Saturday 02 to Friday 08 of October 2021

Prep: Face wash with Nivea face wash
Pre: Executive Shaving Pre-shave Oil
Razor: Hone - 15A
Blade: Feather (1)
Brush: Razorock Barber 24mm
S Soap: Catie's Bubbles - A midnight dreary

Enough of single edges razors let me try another DE I own, the aluminium version of the Hone

After three months of using single edge is now time to come back to DE. Can't really believe I resisted the temptation to open the box only now when it was delivered back in July. Well impressed with the design, execution and finishing of this razor.

With a reputation of being on the milder side I decided to load a Feather blade. I don't get on with these. Still have a few from a previous purchase but for me Feathers are way too sharp. So much so that they don't feel smooth and no matter the razor I always end up with a nick or two. Not in the Hone though. Still not the smoothest of shaves but I am well impressed how well the Hone is taming the feathers. I would say even better than the Feather AS-D2 I had couple of years ago.
Catie's Bubbles is a great soap. Love the scent, love the lather, slickens, cushioning.... it's a keeper. Trying to find now if anyone has the matching aftershave. Not much hope there I think.
Looking forward to the rest of the month spent with the Hone and trying the rest of my choice of DE blades.

Have a great week everyone!

SOTD.jpg

244088686_563404514890583_5980354318026612922_n.jpg
Prep: Shower, Palmolive Olive Oil Soap
Soap: Figaro
Brush: 24mm Sagrada Familia Tuxedo
Razor: Merkur 34C HD
Blade: Dorco Titan (2)

Sometimes a quick, simple shave is what you need. This fitted the bill perfectly and it was off on the school run and beyond with minimal delay. Still loving the scent of Brut as well to be honest :love:

PS-Turkish Bar Soap
Brush-Istanbul Generic
Soap-Cyril Salter*
Blade-Gillette Black
Razor-Merkur Vision**
AS-Barts Sample A
AAS-Tea Tree Dilute

*Very impressed with this soap fairly neutral scent and lathers well.
**The Vision is a bit of a rare beast and I don’t use it often. However its light and despite its bulk easy to get good results.

681788F5-5EF4-438F-B1D3-D7190C258D6A.jpeg

IMG_20211004_133814_edit_10167184080218.jpgLeaf razor
Gillette 7 O' Clock Black - 3rd use
Razorock Big Bruce
Ach. Brito Mogno
Pashana Original aftershave
Baxter of California balm

In my 3 years of head shaving this has been the absolute best! Everything just worked, and although I was never 100% convinced with the Leaf, it has finally won me over and, for head shaving, it is perfect. It's been steadily improving with every shave and, with this one, I think I've found the sweet spot (for me) of 2 days growth.
Smooth, no blade feel, slight tingle from the alum but no audible feedback at all. I had stopped chasing a BBS some time ago as it wasn't necessary, but after 2 passes it was so good that I went for it!

Mon 4th October

The Grosvenor 404mixed
Lea Classic soap
Yaqi Raster V2 + EJ 89 handle
Feather Proguard ( 1 )
Lea Classic A/S Lotion

Just doing a test today to check if this combo is good for a trip away.The EJ handle was a lovely fit to the screw thread, and balanced the head very well. I was very pleased at the way the combo performed and the overall quality of finish was excellent.

06704166-6F89-4372-9454-A281AC23C03B.jpeg

Sotd-04-10-21.jpg
This afternoon -

razor - Blackland Vector (on loan)
blade - Feather Pro (1)
brush - Frank Shaving two-band 22mm
soap - A&E Revolution - tallow and - get this - manteca!
post - witch hazel
a/s - Vitos Tobacco
blam - none needed.

I've never previously had particularly good experiences with Feather AC blades - Proguard and Pro Super - but never tried the Pro version until today. I was gifted some recently and because I have the admirable Vector on loan there didn't seem like a better time to try them. I'm glad I did - they work exceptionally well for me in this razor. I expected them to be sharp - which they are - but I hadn't thought them likely to be just that smooth and comfortable in use. Right from the get go. An unbelievably close but mild shave - which I find are the best sort. I wish the same to you all - I.

@Boycie83 - thanks for the blades C.

SOTD 04/10
Preshave: PAA cube
Soap& splash : First line shave james
Balm : arko unscented
Brush : Alpha outlaw
Razor: karve stainless D plate
Blade : Gillette platinum 1st use
Alum bloc
EDT : james

Had a really nice shave this afternoon went for james by first line shave the scent is nice and the the performance of the soap and the lather was really good also a very nice scent off the aftershave and the edt
20211004_153413.jpg20211004_153425.jpg20211004_153437.jpg20211004_153548.jpg20211004_153651.jpg20211004_154040.jpg20211004_154239.jpg20211004_155852.jpg

Prep: Face wash with Nivea face wash
Pre: Executive Shaving Pre-shave Oil
Razor: Hone - 15A
Blade: Feather (1)
Brush: Razorock Barber 24mm
S Soap: Catie's Bubbles - A midnight dreary

Enough of single edges razors let me try another DE I own, the aluminium version of the Hone

After three months of using single edge is now time to come back to DE. Can't really believe I resisted the temptation to open the box only now when it was delivered back in July. Well impressed with the design, execution and finishing of this razor.

With a reputation of being on the milder side I decided to load a Feather blade. I don't get on with these. Still have a few from a previous purchase but for me Feathers are way too sharp. So much so that they don't feel smooth and no matter the razor I always end up with a nick or two. Not in the Hone though. Still not the smoothest of shaves but I am well impressed how well the Hone is taming the feathers. I would say even better than the Feather AS-D2 I had couple of years ago.
Catie's Bubbles is a great soap. Love the scent, love the lather, slickens, cushioning.... it's a keeper. Trying to find now if anyone has the matching aftershave. Not much hope there I think.
Looking forward to the rest of the month spent with the Hone and trying the rest of my choice of DE blades.

Have a great week everyone!

View attachment 77920
I agree the brass version razor tamed the feathers for me beautifully too. Having tried this combo with the brass version today as well, I am going to give the feathers a go in my aluminium Hone tomorrow.
I had this soap a while ago and bought it because it’s supposed to be a good homage to Tom Ford’s Black Orchid which I love. I didn’t see it being that close to be honest, so moved it on despite it being a lovely little latherer and scent.

Monday 4th October

AM-JKLW2woTwHKWR_YJwl8RR8gQwZeJuKAL1f2a4GIM4Ai81j2h0j3I6kiJrm_22U0urRUiyMSUgTn_TqN2ysxqtV-4h6NhyfQCdlzk5Vaz6cyJp_JpegjPAJ6oFqY9w8KHCk-W2I30EZwthwyGxf4-mTysIHw=s800

Ganders Goat Soap w/Hop, Sage & Birch
Boots Albany Mentholated (Vintage) Shaving Soap
Omega Professional w/Blonde Boar 28mm
RazoRock Hawk OC
Feather ProGuard (1)
Pinaud Lilac Vegetal (Vintage)

I'm very happy indeed with the A plate on the Hawk and find it quite literally perfect! I bought the open comb really out of curiosity and I'm glad I did because it's let that bird of prey out of the Hawk good and proper - it's a really invigorating shave! I can't wait to try it out with a ProSuper blade. Lovely! Looking forward to more shaves with the open comb, which gives me a very different character to the A plate.

Staggeringly good lather from the Boots Albany. Those vintage soaps really whip up a wonderful lather with a proto-lather forming on the soap almost immediately. The lightly mentholated soap is more like a light, fresh breeze and actually more effective as a cooling soap that modern triple zero face-freezers.

... and the splash of vintage juice made that a really quite special shave.

Back
Top Bottom