AutoStrop 7 O'Clock

Good afternoon, chaps ... well, an interesting razor arrived this morning, so I'm going to walk you through the razor and have a little play with blades in the sequence I did upon its arrival.

It is an AutoStrop 7 O'Clock. Nothing at all to do with the company 7 O'Clock which was bought out by Gillette and subsequently used as a trademark, this is from the AutoStrop stable who brought us the Valet razors. I guess this pre-dates many of the popular Valets that we know and love, this one being around 1911/1912. I think they were fairly short lived and most probably ceded to the popularity of the Valet razor.

Enjoy :D

Upon arrival, it looks good! It's just going to want a good clean-up and it'll be a sound razor.

DSC04995.jpg

DSC04996.jpg

DSC04997.jpg

DSC04998.jpg

... the blade slides in between two plates which will only accept the blade once the arms are swung open. My guess is that there is a semi-circular lobe on the arm between the plates which clamps the Feather (Valet copy ... remember, this is an AutoStrop, so modern Feathers should work) in place perfectly.

DSC04999.jpg

DSC05000.jpg

Clamped shut and snapped back into shaving position, we have a little problem ...

DSC05001.jpg

... but with the arms open and the blade pushed all the way to the back, it's usable:

DSC05002.jpg

Hmmm ... back to the drawing board. Let's pull out an old de-spined GEM.

DSC05003.jpg

... you can see that there is quite a difference in the depth of these two blades. Again, disappointed! I simply could not get the arms closed. Here's why ...

DSC05004.jpg

... and so, the GEM snapped in the relevant places to create a similar gap to the Feather.

DSC05005.jpg

DSC05006.jpg

Loaded up, it's not perfect ...

DSC05007.jpg

... but it works! So, GEM it is.

DSC05008.jpg

My usual routine for cleaning is to give the razor a damn good clean with Fairy and a toothbrush. If it is excessively tarnished, it will go into a pan of hot water, tin foil, salt and soda bicarbonate on a gentle boil for a few minutes. This razor seemed good after a wash, so I gave it a scrub with some all purpose metal cleaner and then a deeper scrub with some Peek Polish.

DSC05009.jpg

DSC05012.jpg

DSC05010.jpg

DSC05011.jpg

Not too shabby, eh? What else do we get?

DSC05013.jpg

DSC05014.jpg

DSC05015.jpg

... a very gentle scrub brought that up reasonably well.

CONDITIONS OF SALE

The owners of the British Letters Patent No. 27943 of 1911 and No. 4079 of 1912, under which the razor contained in this box is made, grant the purchaser thereof, or to any person into whose hands it may come, a limited license to use or sell the same on the express condition that it be not retailed or advertised for retail sale at a less price than twelve shillings and sixpence, and that no allowance, bonus, rebate , or other considerations of any kind be allowed whereby the ultimate retail price at which the same is sold is less than twelve shillings and sixpence. Any sale in breach of this provision will be an infringement of the patents and treated accordingly. Agents and dealers are not empowered to vary this licence. Proprietors - AutoStrop Safety Razor Company, 197-207 City Road, London E.C. 1.

But it's the razor I'm most interested in and so, on with a damn good buffing with Peek and a yellow duster ...

DSC05016.jpg

DSC05017.jpg

DSC05018.jpg

DSC05019.jpg

DSC05020.jpg

DSC05021.jpg

Blade loaded ...

DSC05022.jpg

... the stropping mechanism is curious!

DSC05023.jpg

... it's simply a length of leather on the inside of the lid.

Glamour shot!

DSC05025.jpg

... can't wait to shave with it!

Re: RE: AutoStrop 7 O'Clock

pjgh said:
Cheers!

Bpmjames said:
What does the tin foil on the hot water do?

The salt and soda bicarb react and remove the tarnish from the metal. The tarnish is then attracted to the tin foil. Or something like that ...

Take care, though - it's not suitable for some finishes, like gold.

I'm not sure what my valet is plated with. It's silver in colour so I'm assuming I should be ok?

From the videos iv watched the people call the mixture a diy silver dip so it would seem u can use it on silver. Just wondering if it's ok to use on nikel and rhodium.

I just post the links from my google account. Perhaps there's a limit if you upload or use the full editor?

Yes, interesting find indeed. I don't think it's worth a lot and looking back through the very few I've found on eBay I paid the right price, certainly for the condition. I think these were very short lived and were supplanted by the popular Valet model quite quickly.

Blades are going to be fun. I either have to modify the GEM blade perfectly to fit for a light shave or modify the Valet/Feather blade a little more to sit all the way back in the stops and give an aggressive shave. I'd love to find some period blades, whatever they were for this razor.

I've enough to be shaving with for the next week, or so, so the report on how this shaves will come in due course, thereafter ...

I did ... and it was seriously good! Like an early AutoStrop (which it is), but better ... which it is :D

IMG_5555.JPG

http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/thread-25460-post-354734.html#pid354734

I opened up the edge cut-outs on a Feather to accomodate the wings on the razor and allow the blade to be pushed all the way to the back.

Lovely shave ... like a Valet VB1 crossed with a 1912.

I commented, "build like a BMW, sounds like a SAAB and drives like an AUDI"

... like a really fun turbo vintage BMW ... a 2002 Tii model, for those in the know.

IMG_5565.JPG

I do like this and if it's better than my Vb1 I might try and hunt one down. I think I might have a bit of a problem...spending money on razors that is.

Back
Top Bottom