SOTD Sat 9th Feb - Fri 15th Feb 2013 (one of several?)

No time to muck about. An early flight to catch. Time to hit the road.

Proraso pre
Duke 2 Best
TOBS Avocado SC
Merkur 34c HD
Feather (1)
Thayer's Lemon
Cade AS Balm

2 passes.
Efficient and sufficiently smooth.

Razor: The CBR Special. - A 6/8 Extra Hollow Sheffield with custom scales.
Brush: Edwin Jagger - Badger
Soap: MWF
Strop: Home made 3"
Prep: Wash face then cold shave
After: Witch Hazel then Bat Rum splash.
Result: Super Smooth
The Woman: :p

sotd030_zpsf3328334.jpg

Away on a business trip for a couple of days, I decided to take the opportunity to use some of the items that don't get so much attention in my (limited) collection.

Proraso Pre
Vie Long Horse Hair / Trumpers Violet Cream sample
Gillette Fat Handled Tech / Personna Platinum blade
Clinique post-shave healer

I was very pleasantly surprised. I bought the tech within a week or two of starting and discounted it as being too mild. Using it today showed how things have changed - it gave a mild but close shave with no discomfort. I can't see it replacing my EJ89 but it will definitely get a regular roll out now!

The trumpers cream was pretty good too - nice and cushioned with the right amount of slip.

All in all, an unexpected treat :)

This evenings shave

39c slant with gillette yellow
Kent size 4 brush
C&E nomad cream
Selin lemon colognasi to finish.

Second use of the slant since Christmas ( slight under nose issue) fault free shave this time around.
Nomad lovely cream will need to get the AS as swmbo really likes the smell. She would never had gone into C&E shop unless I had asked her. She quite likes one of there intensive hand creams as well now.

Burgundy said:
SmallBeard said:
FrankieG said:
Prep: Cold water face wash
Brush: Simpson Duke 3 Best
Razor: Polished Weber/Bulldog handle
Blade: Rapira Swedish Supersteel (1)
A/S: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, Weleda After Shave Balm
EDT: Penhaligon's Sartorial

Second day trying cold water shaving. For me it certainly is no worse than using hot water. Face doesn't feel flushed when done and if there's any difference at all it might be a slightly closer shave (although that could be in my head!)

I know this has probably been answered before, but how cold are we talking when we say cold water shaving? Lukewarm or actually just cold water?

Thanks
Run the cold tap, whack the plug in, and get to work! It's not as brutal as it sounds.

Dr Rick said:
What he said. In the winter I wouldn't run it first - I want cold, not icy!

Hot lather doesn't really do much for me anyway, but that's how I thought it should be done after watching videos. I'll give cold a go!

Cheers

Alex

Tuesday evening:

Prep: shower & wash face with Men-U face wash, cold splash then Proraso pre shave (green)
Cream: Proraso Green tube
Brush: NF Brush 2213 silver tip
Razor: EJ89L
Blade: Personna lab blue (1)
Balm: RSC

This was my first ever cold water shave. I decided to do it based on all the great praise for it, and the fact the Proraso pre shave made my face go cold, so thought what the hell. Result was quite frankly the best shave I have ever had. WTG, WTG, XTG. No cuts or irritation on my neck which has been my biggest issue to date. You can 'notice' the hairs being sliced through more obviously as they are stiffer, but no pain or tugging experienced. I believe this is now the way forward for me... A new cold water shaver! First go on the Proraso products, they are brilliant!!

England said:
Razor: The CBR Special. - A 6/8 Extra Hollow Sheffield with custom scales.
Brush: Edwin Jagger - Badger
Strop: Home made 3"
Prep: Wash face then cold shave
After: Witch Hazel then Bat Rum splash.
Result: Super Smooth
The Woman: :p

sotd030_zpsf3328334.jpg

That's one cool photo.

Hot Shower
3P pre shave cream
T&H Ultimate Comfort Cream
NF 2213 Silvertip
Gillette Slim on 5
7 O'Clock Yellow Blade
Witch Hazel
Versace Dreamer AS
Castle Forbes Lime ASB

I am really impressed with the Slim one of the closest shaves ever!

Tuesday 12th February

Hot Shower and Facial Scrub
Vitos Pre/Post Cream
Junker No 171 13/16 Western Style Japanese Razor
Rod Neep 26x47 Brush in Extra Silvertip
TBS Maca Root Shaving Cream
Alum Block
Organic Shea Butter
The Barbershop Natural Bay Rum
Morgans Classic Pomade
Foad Moustache Wax

I have not used the Maca Root Cream for ages....its a really good performer. A really excellent 3 pass shave!

Gillette Sensor3 (7)
Semogue SOC boar
Proraso green soap
Proraso Aftershave lotion
Penhaligon's English Fern

I used some Martin de Candre fougere soap today, along with Badedas bath gel. It's been like fougere heaven! The system razor's been a nice change of pace again. I don't think much of the Sensor3, mind. Will have a smash with the Mach3 at some point to compare.

Re: RE: SOTD Sat 9th Feb - Fri 15th Feb 2013 (one of several?)

Furn4ce said:
This was my first ever cold water shave. I decided to do it based on all the great praise for it, and the fact the Proraso pre shave made my face go cold, so thought what the hell. Result was quite frankly the best shave I have ever had.

Welcome aboard :). Great, isn't it?

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

Savile Row badger
vintage Merkur slant/Iridium
RL Safari SS
Boots AS balm

Once in a great while my shave is pretty lousy.....like today. Popped a fresh Iridium in the vintage slant and went to shaving. No idea what the problem was, but the comfort just wasn't there like it had been with the other blade.I also used a different soap today, but it's one I know really well and probably wasn't an issue.

Anyway, I gave myself 4-5 little red spots, mainly on my chin. Even managed one weeper that needed the styptic pencil to shut down. Sheesh.

I'm guessing it was my technique being off (me being lazy), although maybe it was a bad blade. I'll try it in a different razor tomorrow. Man, I look beat up and not too spiffy today.

Somewhat BBS results,

Martin

Prep, a rather large glass of wine. (This was to try and calm my nerves, third time out with a straight and the previous time had more blood than an Arnie movie. Also an evening shave!)
Trumpers West Indian extract of lime skin food.
Neep 24mm silvertip masur birch brush.
Nanny's neroli shaving soap
TI Le Grelot.
Alum.
Floris No.89 AS.

Not as smooth as last time out but more of my face was left where it belongs. The wine may have worked! ;-)

Scott.

Pre : Proraso white cream
Razor : Merkur futur satin
Blade : Personna red
Soap : Proraso Red bowl (sandalwood & Shea )
Brush : Semogue 2030B
AS : osma Alum + old spice lotion

Dr Rick said:
Furn4ce said:
This was my first ever cold water shave. I decided to do it based on all the great praise for it, and the fact the Proraso pre shave made my face go cold, so thought what the hell. Result was quite frankly the best shave I have ever had.

Welcome aboard :). Great, isn't it?

I have to admit I was really skeptical before I tried it thinking a warm shave was more luxurious etc, but in all honesty it wasn't all that different, and the results were so much better! I was really surprise with the lack of irritation!!

Good morning Gentlemen

-Preparation: Papoutsanis tabac soap (with tallow)
-DE: Edwing Jagger 89
-Blade: Astra Superior Platinum (#2)
-Brush: Semogue 2000
-Soap: La Toja shaving stick
-After Shave: Floid Suave + 444 gel + korres moisturising cream

SOTD-13-02-2013-small.JPG

Back
Top Bottom