SOTD Sat 29th Sept to Fri 5th Oct 2012

Prep: Hot sjhower
Brush: Chubby 3
Razor: Edv. Neiström no 2 + GEM Junior (for head)
Soap: Dr Harris Almond + Proraso reg cream
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Uberclean :D

At first I tried to lather up the shaving soap in the pic (raktvål = shaving soap in Swedish), but it was the worst soap I ever tried and I didn't even bother to put it to my face (all thin and bubbly) and took out some other soaps. A pity, it's the only contemporary Swedish shaving soap I've seen this far. Razors doesn't get much better than this one, even though a modest 11/16 - a true shaver, if I ever saw one :D
0021024x680.jpg

Tuesday 2nd October

Hot shower and Facial Scrub
Proraso Sensitive Pre/Post Cream
Merkur 38C/Perma Sharp Super
Muhle HJM Black Fibre Brush
Nannys Arabian Nights Soap
Simple Facial Toner
Myrsol Metilsol AS
Organic Shea Butter
Morgan's Classic Pomade
Yardley Citrus and Wood EDT

My first time using the Arabian Nights Soap. A fantastic performer with a scent which makes me feel good at this time of the year.
A superlative three pass shave.

Gillette Tech
Gillette Bleue Extra (1)
New Forest 2213
RazoRock XXX
Witch hazel
Proraso white balm

Bleu de Chanel

First shave with a discontinued blade. A comfortable blade, all told, but I think I'd prefer it in my Old Type.

This morning:

Prep: Face wash, Imperial Leather bath soap, cold
Razor: Taylor Eye Witness, 5/8", in (imitation) ivory
Brush: Simpson Commodore X3 in Best
Soap: Provence Sante verlaine
Aftershave: Prof Blighty's Yellow Ginger
Scent: Trumper's GFT

My first Taylor blade and won't be my last, I think. Excellent.

Dutch Moss shaving soap
Edwin Jagger tortoiseshell boar
Progress on 2, 1 with this Gillette Super Thin:
ChineseSuperThin.jpg

Finished off with M&S Woodspice a/s balm

First time with this blade and >95% BBS overall. A little sore under the chin where I pushed it too far but I wouldn't expect that in the future, having pushed the blade as far as I could for testing.

TUESDAY EVENING

Gillette Aristo Jr
Rapira (3)
Semogue LE Boar 2
Cella - tub lathered
Witch hazel
Castle Forbes AS balm

Close shave tonight, but I should have binned the Rapira after two uses.

Used the Cella instead of the Mama Bears tonight and the difference in lathering efficacy is night and day. I shall not be buying any more Mama Bears or this balm either. Glad I tried both of them though (and the Mama Bears still has plenty of life in it).

Thought I'd try one of those pictures that you all seem to be able to manage.

tobs_mrt.jpg

How's that look?

Prep : Nice long hot bath with Mr Taylor's soap, hot towel just before applying lather.
Mr Taylor's shaving cream in a Muhle bowl (not sure if I like the bowl, it may just be too small for my brush)
NF Tubby 1
Restored English Rocket, with Gillette Superthin blade. (First shave with this razor)
Mr Taylor's aftershave balm
Mr Taylor's aftershave splash
Mr Taylor's deoderant
Mr Taylor's talc
Mr Taylor's cologne.

I love the smell of this stuff! :)

However the shave was awful. above the chin line it was BBS. Around my chin there is stubble. Under my neck was had perhaps 8-10 bleeding points, and I had to do many more passes than necessary. This combination of razor and blade would only cut the stubble if it met it at 0 degrees to the grain. The end result actually feels fine to my fingers, and looks fine, the little bleeding points have gone, however I know tomorrow night they will be slightly raised and several of them will bleed again.

I was very optimistic after improving my technique, however a light weight razor seems to 'bounce off' stubble rather than slice through, and the blade is nothing like as sharp as the feather I was using.

Next step is to try the feather in this razor, and try the blade in my usual razor.

Oh well. :/

I found the Rocket HD to be a little draggy and difficult to get the blade angle right. Not as much as my English Aristocrat 66, which I sold as it was a beautiful ornament, but still tricky if you don't use it often. Better luck next time; maybe stick with the Rocket and same blade for a week (nicks permitting)

Re: RE: SOTD Sat 29th Sept to Fri 5th Oct 2012

Wednesday.

Second Shave with the Chinese Pass around blades

Prep: Hot Shower
Cream: TOBS St James
Brush: Neep 26mm Extra Silvertip in Kingfisher Burl
Razor: Feather AS-D1
Blade: Chinese Flying Eagle
A/S: TOBS St James

Second day with this blade and another excellent shave.

still a bit sore from the last few R41 day but just had a fantastic shave, todays blade i going to get a bulk order me thinks.

Muhle R89
Perma Sharp Super (1)
Semogue OC Boar
Palmolive Soap
Sudocrem
Nivea Cream

Its hard to justify any expensive soap with such a great product on offer.

Wednesday:

Professor Blighty's Harlequin soap
Semogue SOC Boar
Gillette Slim Adjustable
Gillette 7 o'clock Yellow
TONS Shaving Shop AS
LEA AS Balm
DR Harris Windsor EdT

Top job, BBS results.

Prep L'Occitane Cedarwood Soap
Razor Vintage Japanese G'TOWA T' 13/16
Brush Simpsons M7 LE Finest Silvertip
Vito's Coconut & Almond
Alum & Witch Hazel
Clinique Moisturiser
Creed Neroli Sauvage EDT

Jamie

If I had to award marks out of 10 for this razor shaving it would be 10, fantastic shave two pass shave BBS.

v.jpg

Back
Top Bottom