20120520.jpg

Sunday afternoon shave:

EJDE89
Red Personna
EJ Badger
Palmolive Cream
Ogallala Bay Rum Sage and Cedar
Ogallala Bay Rum Cologne

Nice and relaxed shave, now a nice bottle of real ale and Rush live on Sky Arts!

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep;

vintage rebranded Simpsons best
1948 #21 Aristocrat/ Schick Plus Platinum (NOS)
vintage Lentheric SS
Barbershop Bay Rum AS
St Johns 'Bay Rum' cologne

Last couple of shaves have been with this new to me Aristocrat, sent out by another damn enabler (thank you Paul). This one's been on my want to try list for quite a while. Yeah, I'm a sucker for barberpole handle, no end caps, rhodium plated razors.

I'd heard this had some bite, but it turns out it's nothing more than what the #16 feels like on my face. Yeah, I gotta go slower than usual and take shorter strokes, but it's no problem if I like the razor.

I'm gonna try another blade or two over the next month or so and see if maybe an Iridium might even be a better pairing. I'm thinking this Schick may be sharper than what's needed with the #21.

I'm quite pleased with this great condition piece, and it'll make a welcome addition to my shaving arsenal.

BBS results,

Martin

Lose the beard said:
The day of reckoning arrived.

My first straight razor arrived from Mikael in the week, I have been watching the videos, practicing stropping, and generally panicking about this day.

I stuck to a fairly normal routine

Hot Shower
Jermyn Street Cream
Rod Neep 24mm Silvertip brush
Jermyn Street After Shave.

The Merkur Futur was ready on the shelf in the bathroom to touch up the bits I couldn't manage.

The razor is an Edv Neiström no 52, a 9/16 with a wedgy (1/4ish) grind.

I planned on just doing a WTG pass with the straight on the sideburn areas, which is almost what I managed.

I started on the right hand side, it took a little while to get comfortable, and I had to re lather as it dried up, but once I got going it seemd to flow quite well.

I shaved the whole of the right hand side of my face WTG, except for the moustache area, bottom lip and just under my chin. I then re lathered the left hand side of my face and switched the razor to my left hand. This proved to be more challenging than I had anticipated, so much so that I abandoned the idea and shaved the left hand side of my face with the razor in my right hand. I found this quite easy and completed this side quite quickly.

I tried shaving my chin and just under my chin, but couldn't seem to get started, so I switched to the DE for this bit.

I noticed when I switched back to the DE that maybe I am shaving too slowly, I move the DE across my face in very quick strokes, but am moving the straight very slowly. I'm sure this will improve over time.

No nicks or cuts though, and the WTG shave that I did do with the straight was better than I would have achieved with the DE, so I'm looking forward to my next shave. I think that may be tomorrow. :)

19MAY2012.jpg
Outstanding sir you can't see it but I am giving you a big thumbs up well done!

A test shave with a new Hoffy.

Cold water prep
Hoffritz slant with Gillette Super Thin (1) for WTG, XTG and touch ups, Weber ARC with Astra for ATG
Proraso pre/post
Proraso green
M&F Blonde badger
Barbershop Bay Rum
Speick ASB

Very clean and smooth, but not sure if I can say Hoffritz is any better than my 37c. Will make a couple of control shaves with Sputniks and some other soaps and creams. Now, Weber is certainly smoother than the slant, but still can't fully compare in efficiency. Considering which one to take with me on a holiday..

hjh2nfLoRFw.jpg

Day 2 with the straight

Prep: Hot Towels
Cream: TOBS Mr Taylor Cream
Brush: Rod Neep 26mm Extra Silvertip brush
Bowl: Steve Woodhead
A/S: TOBS Mr Taylor After Shave.
Blade: Edv Neiström no 52, a 9/16 with a wedgy (1/4ish) grind.

Todays shave went much better than yesterdays, I managed both sides of my face quite quickly, and my neck area.
I set to work on the moustache area and that was easy as well.

I thought I would tackle my chin, this is the hardest bit to shave with a DE as well, so following the same route as I do with a DE I set of in a E - W direction. I must have got the angle of the blade wrong though and it soon proved how sharp it was by giving my a nice 1 inch long cut in my chin.

After a bit of mopping up of blood and liberal use of the styptic pencil I decided I would finish off with the DE.

The bits I did shave were a big improvement on yesterday, the skin stretching is really helping. I just need to be a bit more careful though.

I'm sure I will master this, but perhaps I need to shave in thew evening for a while until I get a bit more used to it.

20MAY2012.jpg

Sunday

white proraso pre post
NF silvertip 2213
Proraso Green soap
FT rocket +GST (2)
Thayers superhazel
Proraso ASB

result: 2 passes. Pretty good for a man in a rush. didnt want to be late for my sunday roast!!

Razor: Merkur Progress (3.5)
Blade: Iridium (5)
Brush: MÜHLE Pure Badger 21mm
Soap : Nanny's Cedarwood & Vetyver
A/S I: Thayers Lemon
A/S II: Weleda Balm

200520121321.jpg

Have a nice Sunday everyone!

SUNDAY EVENING SHAVE

IMAG0035.jpg

Hoffritz New York
Gillette Super Stainless (1)
Simpsons Emperor Super 2
GFT Sandalwood Cream
Woodhead Scuttle
Witch Hazel
Institute Karite ASB

This is an aggressive razor, so I had a few nicks to close with the styptic pencil, but it's delivered a really good BBS ready for Monday morning.

Also managed to win on Fleabay a razor I have wanted for a loooong time so fingers crossed it's all OK.

dodgy said:
Last couple of shaves have been with this new to me Aristocrat, sent out by another damn enabler (thank you Paul). This one's been on my want to try list for quite a while. Yeah, I'm a sucker for barberpole handle, no end caps, rhodium plated razors.

Martin

Glad you like it Martin and it does, temporarily, answer that perennial question 'Who enables the enabler?'

Sunday evening

Weber Bulldog DLC
Supermax super platinum
MDC
FS finest
Blighty's Green ginger
Blighty's universal balm

The Supermax are so smooth and sharp, really liking them.
Prof's green ginger has a lovely aroma and feels really nice on the face.

Sunday lunchtime:

TOBS Eton Collection cream
Gillette Slim Twist
Personna Lab Blue (1)
Kent BK2
T&H Spanish Leather A/S
John Allan Face moisturiser

First shave with the Lab Blue and it's sharp with a capital S and a capital H, even in a mild 'un like the Slim Twist. Glad I didn't try it in the Futur. I am coming to the conclusion that I'm a mild kinda guy.

For all that, it was a great shave and I couldn't stop stroking my face afterwards :blush:

Back
Top Bottom