SOTD Sat. 19th - Fr. 25th May

IMAG0362.jpg

First try with these Chinese Schicks; I think it was that super-enabler who first told me about them. Wouldn't like to say who it was but he was some Dodgy character all right: -D
After just one shave my thoughts are that this blade is ok. Not super-sharp but pretty smooth. I'm thinking a bit like modern German Wilkinson blades for smoothness and sharpness, so fairly average. Need to use it a few more times in a few more razors to be sure though.

Today, almost spanish shave!

20ibew5.jpg

warm shower + Jabonman Marsella + Vie&Long 16910 "two bands edition" + Merkur Futur at 2.5 with Croma #1 + La Toja "Manantiales" lotion and balm

A really smooooth shave! Great shaving soap and good razor blade!

Cheers!

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: Simpson Chubby 3
Razor: Bartmann
Soap: Dr Harris Almond + Proraso original
AS: Proraso
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Very, very clean :D

Ahh, it's getting warmer here and it's lovely to use Proraso now (soon I'll bring out Alcolado too :)).
0071024x757.jpg

... and my espresso shot today (cheers Yorkneil, lovely stuff!):
010700x4552.jpg

Saturday:

Vitos pre-shave
Professor Blighty's Harlequin soap
Gillette Slim Adjustable (@6 WTG, XTG; @8 ATG)
Astra SP (3)
Alum - damn well nicked myself on my neck, alum quickly stemmed the tide!
TOBS Shaving Shop AS
TOBS St. James' EDC

Great results, have a good weekend gentlemen!

NotTheStig said:
First try with these Chinese Schicks; I think it was that super-enabler who first told me about them.

What's doin NTS,

Hmmm, haven't seen those blades myself. Only Chinese Schick blades I've tried are the injector ones, which were better than the blades made in Germany.

No idea which member you were talking about....

EJDE89L with a Bic Chrome Platinum
Vulfix 404 bristle & badger
Palmolive stick
RSC balm
Creed Aventus

A rare full ATG pass on my face today. BBS result with a couple of small weepers stemmed with cold water and a small nick under my nose that required styptic. I've started to use my left hand for the final pass on the left side of my face, the slightly less coordinated wielding of the razor resulted in the nick. Still practice makes perfect and all that...I reckon being comfortable using the left hand will be helpful for trying straights. I also think it delivers a closer finish than reaching across with the right hand.

First go with a Bic blade, perfectly OK but not going to be a favourite. Also nice to use a Greek manufacturing export - something of a rarity. Tragedy what incompetent and corrupt governance and finance is doing to that country (and others).

It's the May Day festival at a neighbouring village today. Weather cold and wet. Marquees blew down overnight...nearly summer supposedly...was that couple of weeks in March it? Hope not.

Prep: L'Oreal face wash
Blade: Astra
Razor: Merkur 25c Open comb
Brush: E J Synthetic bristle
Cream: D R Harris almond
Post shave balm: Body Shop maca root razor relief

Just one pass on the neck area due to a slight redness developing at the lower part, but still a close enough shave. Two passes above the neck.

Saturday. Back to the Open Razor again. Had to; received a nice looking Wade and Butcher Sheffield England in the mail yesterday . Dull of course ... Honed it last nite (worried) took me ~2hrs. But worth it this morning.
Razor: Wade and Butcher.
Brush: Muhle Badger
Presoap: Noxzema plus
Soap: Nanny's Lime
Alum
AS:Barbasol
Balm: Pré de Provence
Nice shave...
47bcebdd-a3b9-d62a.jpg

Saturday

Prep: Shower & Real Shaving Co - Face Scrub then Avon Tea Tree Face Wash
Soap: D R Harris Arlington Soap
Brush: Edwin Jagger Best Badger
Razor: Merkur 37c Slant
Blade: Feather (1)
Post shave: Nivea Sensitive Aftershave Balm
Post shave: D.R. Harris Arlington Cologne

Have been trying the slant this week and thought I'd try with a Feather this morning and found this combination to be very smooth, close and enjoyable.

Sat Eve

Edwin Jagger with a Timor blade
Edwin Jagger pure badger brush
Crabtree & Evelyn pour homme soap
Crabtree & Evelyn Sienna ASB

nice shave ready for a Saturday night out.

The day of reckoning arrived.

My first straight razor arrived from Mikael in the week, I have been watching the videos, practicing stropping, and generally panicking about this day.

I stuck to a fairly normal routine

Hot Shower
Jermyn Street Cream
Rod Neep 24mm Silvertip brush
Jermyn Street After Shave.

The Merkur Futur was ready on the shelf in the bathroom to touch up the bits I couldn't manage.

The razor is an Edv Neiström no 52, a 9/16 with a wedgy (1/4ish) grind.

I planned on just doing a WTG pass with the straight on the sideburn areas, which is almost what I managed.

I started on the right hand side, it took a little while to get comfortable, and I had to re lather as it dried up, but once I got going it seemd to flow quite well.

I shaved the whole of the right hand side of my face WTG, except for the moustache area, bottom lip and just under my chin. I then re lathered the left hand side of my face and switched the razor to my left hand. This proved to be more challenging than I had anticipated, so much so that I abandoned the idea and shaved the left hand side of my face with the razor in my right hand. I found this quite easy and completed this side quite quickly.

I tried shaving my chin and just under my chin, but couldn't seem to get started, so I switched to the DE for this bit.

I noticed when I switched back to the DE that maybe I am shaving too slowly, I move the DE across my face in very quick strokes, but am moving the straight very slowly. I'm sure this will improve over time.

No nicks or cuts though, and the WTG shave that I did do with the straight was better than I would have achieved with the DE, so I'm looking forward to my next shave. I think that may be tomorrow. :)

19MAY2012.jpg

Razor: Merkur Progress (3.5)
Blade: Iridium (4)
Brush: MÜHLE Pure Badger 21mm
Cream: RazoRock Mughetto di Bologna
A/S I: Thayers Lemon
A/S II: Speick

Have a nice weekend everyone!

This evening:

Prep: Hot shower
Razor: Feather Artist Club RG (wood), Pro blade (7)
Brush: Neep #1033 soapstone ball and bobbin 24mm high mountain badger
Soap: Proraso white
Aftershave: Prof Blighty's Yellow Ginger

A really lovely shave. 14 minutes without rushing. Outstanding results.

Back
Top Bottom