SOTD Sat. 19th - Fr. 25th May

Friday evening:

Off to a good friends leaving party tonight so thought I'd have a quick shave this evening just to tidy and freshen up.

Zuri Sandalwood and Vanilla soap
Ever Ready Streamline
GEM SE (6)
Barbershop Bay Rum

Quick WTG, XTG and I'm good to go.

Mikael said:
^^ Well done Steve and congrats! :D Don't worry about the time, I would say it takes 40-60 minutes for a full shave (multiple passes) in the beginning - it's nothing strange, at least it wasn't for me the first year.

Reading that reminds me of my first full straight shave (without blood loss ) fantastic sir,well done.

Dr Dulcamara said:
And the star-shave. My new UFO handle, caliber 15/15, whom I have named Godzilla.

The razor was behaving differently than it does with its Barley handle. Much more poised, more stable, more finisher, but without losing the smoothness of this head geometry associated with the great Russian blade. A clean, perfect and smooth cut. No surprises, no shocks, predictive, reliable.

Hi Doc,

Now that is an interestingly beautiful handle. Heh, at first when I saw the handle/head combo I was a little confused. Didn't look like any UK Aristocrat I'd ever seen, or any other razor for that matter.

Man, it's a heavy thing...105g is pretty chunky, especially in the short handle. You mention the knurling being good and easy to grip without slipping, which isn't always the case with barberpole types I've used.

I'm already imagining that beauty with my Stahly head....sheesh! Did I mention how good that handle looks?

Congrats on the very pleasant addition to your shaving arsenal,

Martin

47bcebdd-d919-503a.jpg
Friday morning. Beautiful day, slightly overcast. Looks like it's going to be a nice weekend.
Razor: eBay special. Honed last nite. Came out very well.
Razor: I Hessen Bruch & Co. Standing Bear with a Staff.
Preshave: Noxzema plus
Soap: Arko stick
Brush: Boar
AS: Clubman
Balm: Nivea Protective Balm
Another very nice shave. Again I'm finding that the Soap it's atleast 50% of the outcome!

47bcebdd-d8a5-6a40.jpg

Sorry but looks like they'll not excepting my photo.

This morning:

Prep: Face wash, Imperial Leather bath soap
Razor: Feather Artist Club RG (wood), Pro blade (12)
Brush: Neep #947 yew ball and bobbin silvertip badger
Soap: Proraso green
Aftershave: Prof Blighty's Green Ginger
Scent: Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet

The first really satisfactory shave I've had with the green variant of this soap - the white is excellent, though.

Mikael said:
^^ Well done Steve and congrats! :D Don't worry about the time, I would say it takes 40-60 minutes for a full shave (multiple passes) in the beginning - it's nothing strange, at least it wasn't for me the first year.

That's very encouraging to hear. After about six attempts, I can now shave my whole face with a straight without needing the DE, but it's a terrible shave and it takes me forever. I guess we all start somewhere?

Actually, I have a question for you Mikael. Do you take a new picture of your coffee every day, or is it always the same one? I've been curious about that for a while...

manickennel said:
That's very encouraging to hear. After about six attempts, I can now shave my whole face with a straight without needing the DE, but it's a terrible shave and it takes me forever. I guess we all start somewhere?

Actually, I have a question for you Mikael. Do you take a new picture of your coffee every day, or is it always the same one? I've been curious about that for a while...

Yes, like in 95 percent of the times (routine now, take out the camera while doing the coffee - but sometimes I get bad pics and sometimes I can't bother).

It's a steeper learning curve for straights all right and you develop your skills under a longer time frame as well (after a year you get the speed up and your technique keeps getting better and better).

manickennel said:
Mikael said:

thats one of the really sad reasons why my cut throats don't get as much use as i like, it takes me a time and te shave isn't so good. but i do mean to go back as i find it very enjoyable.

my first cut throat shave was with a blade i honed myself, and i thought it was excellent at the time. i must get back to it, using a DE is just so much quicker and easier especially in the evening when i want to get to bed.

steve

stevec said:
thats one of the really sad reasons why my cut throats don't get as much use as i like, it takes me a time and te shave isn't so good. but i do mean to go back as i find it very enjoyable.

my first cut throat shave was with a blade i honed myself, and i thought it was excellent at the time. i must get back to it, using a DE is just so much quicker and easier especially in the evening when i want to get to bed.

steve

Well, it doesn't have to take longer time, as a matter of fact I think straights can be faster, they've got a longer cutting edge = covering a larger area, but you really need to have the experience and the learning curve's way longer than for a DE, I'm afraid. I did a test the other day and recorded it, for fun (I do not recommend this though - SERIOUSLY!):
[video=youtube]http://youtu.be/1BSKLNwV5QQ[/video]

Tuesday:

T+H 1805 cream
Rooney style 2
Edwin Jagger DE87
Gillette 7 OC yellow
Ogalalla bay rum limes and peppercorns

Nice change of pace with a very kind razor, you can be pretty cavalier with one of these to be honest, and you shouldn't come a cropper.

Mikael said:
Well, it doesn't have to take longer time, as a matter of fact I think straights can be faster, they've got a longer cutting edge = covering a larger area, but you really need to have the experience and the learning curve's way longer than for a DE, I'm afraid. I did a test the other day and recorded it, for fun (I do not recommend this though - SERIOUSLY!):

ah, yes, i did time myself when i started, and i wasn't much slower than with a m3, however that was one pass wtg. i'm fast enough with that, its the xtg and atg that take the time.

nice video. the issue i really have is my specs getting in the way on the upper cheeks. working round them and stretching the skin is the tricky bit for me.
might did the real razor out tonight!

steve

Back
Top Bottom