SOTD Sat. 19th - Fr. 25th May

Friday:

Vitos pre-shave
Palmolive/Erasmic soap
Gillette Aristocrat Jr.
Astra SP (1)
TOBS Shaving Shop AS

Very nice indeed, I've been using SE razors all week so far. It's nice to have a change.

Friday, 25.v.2012

Predopobarba Vitos
Semogue 1800
Proraso aloe
MÜHLE R101 (2009)
Derby Extra
Thayer's Witch Hazel Lemon
Proraso ASL

P1060199.jpg

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: Penoftheforest silvertip x-tra stuffed in Masur Birch handle
Razor: Edv. Neiström no 2
Soap: MdC
AS//edt: Paco Rabanne, Ultraviolet
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Very, very clean :D

So, I thought I was going to try and do a speedy shave today and see how much time you can save, without being sloppy. Was not worth the two minutes you save though, I think, I got a good shave but felt a little raw after. Excellent blade though, fantastic edge and right up there with the best shavers in my collection :D
0191024x641.jpg

... and some lovely coffee :) :
022800x581.jpg

Mikael, seeing your coffee pictures every day makes me envious whilst I'm stuck at work drinking instant coffee :-/

Which espresso machine do you use?

monkfiish said:
OK. First go on SOTD - be kind.

After checking out the excellent blade rating stats in the spreadsheet ..

EJ 89L

Gillette 7 o'clock yellow
RSC shaving cream
Men-U blended bristle brush
nivea aftershave balm.

Bloody marvellous - much less drag than the derby extra I was using, if a tad more dangerous!
Nice to see this is still getting used.

Proraso pre- and post-shave cream as 'pre'
Erasmic cream (old formula)
Fatboy on 5, 7 with vintage Gillette Silver stainless
M & S Harvard aftershave balm

Not used the Silver blade before. This is an English one probably dating from the 1960s/early 70s (no date code). Not a bad blade but I had to dial up to get a close enough shave. The Fatboy isn't a particularly aggressive razor but even so I haven't dialled up on my first pass for a while. Blade is sharp enough and smooth but not quite as good as a Bleue Extra or English Platinum. Once I've blunted it I'll stick it on the review spreadsheet.

Tom said:
Mikael, seeing your coffee pictures every day makes me envious whilst I'm stuck at work drinking instant coffee :-/

Which espresso machine do you use?

I'm sorry to hear that, it's not very nice, but sometimes better than nothing :D

I've got a La Cimbali M21 Junior (a 70 lbs junior) DT1
005800x518.jpg

EJDE89
Red Personna
EJ Badger
NGT Grapefruit and Cedarwood Shaving Cream
Gillette Fusion Balm
T and H Trafalgar

Really excellent shave today.
First time using this cream. I didnt pick up alot of grapefruit but the scent overall was pleasant. A small amount lathered up well and the overall performance was good. Will definately put it on the list to pick up some more if its on offer again in the future.

20120525200.jpg

Dove soap/hot face cloth face prep
1930s USA tech
Feather Blade
Thiers Issard Brush
Razor Rock Classic
Geo.F.Trumper Skin Food
BBS WTG
Ran the cold tap untill water was Ice cold to finish, fantastic ready to face the day.

Friday 25th May

Facial Scrub
3P Pre/Post shave cream
Kai Captain Excelia (Japanese style)
Semogue 1470 Brush
Nanny's Down Home Summer Soap
Alum Block Followed by a few drops of Rosehip Oil
Myrsol Metisol AS
4711 EDT
Brylcreem Original

No shave yesterday as I was out all day. My sister-in-law was carrying the Olympic flame through Hereford. A memorable day if ever there was one!!!!!
Down Home Summer is a strange name for a soap...but that is what this one is called. Its a Vetyver and Lavender combination which is described as being earthy with floral summer notes. I stopped with 2 passes today as I am not going out, and in reality I would have struggled to find anything else to shave off!!!!!

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage butterscotch beehive Made Right badger
Schick adjustable M type injector/Gillette Platinum Plus (NOS 1970)
vintage Lentheric SS
Lucky Tiger AS and Face Tonic
Tom Ford 'Azure Lime' EdP

Great shave using this 42 year old blade in my favorite injector. Very sharp, but more forgiving than the Personna74, and this set up (dialed in to the perfect setting) just sorta wipes the whiskers away.

BBS results,

Martin

Only 26 degrees here.

Done some gardening today, now time for a shave.

I also had a delivery from the postie this morning of a new straight and strops from Neil Miller, and it would be rude not to try them out.

Prep : Hot Towels
Cream : TOBS Jermyn Street
Brush : Neep 26mm Extra Silvertip
Razor : Taylor Eye Witness
Strops: Neil Miller
After: Barbershop Bay Rum

I had a bit of time today, and no work until Monday so I thought I would try and shave my whole face for the first time with a straight. My chin had been causing me challenges, and a nick last Sunday had prevented me going near it until today.

After watching Mikaels video on Skin Stretching I managed to make ligt work of the sides of my face and my neck, even switching the razor to the other hand in places for the first time today.

The top lip was fairly straight forward, but the bottom lip and chin took a while to work out how best to attack it, North South doesn't work for me, it never did with a DE anyway. I basically followed the path I take with a DE nd it seemed to work eventually. It took about 15 minutes just to shave my bottom lip and chin though, I'll have to work on that.

I did a second pass with the straight as well just touching up the rough bits, so I didn't even need to get the DE out today for a tidy up.

My first complete straight shave, and with no loss of blood. :)

25MAY2012.jpg

^^ Well done Steve and congrats! :D Don't worry about the time, I would say it takes 40-60 minutes for a full shave (multiple passes) in the beginning - it's nothing strange, at least it wasn't for me the first year.

Friday Morning 25-05-2012

Shower / Merkur Futur satin / Gillette 7 O'clock Blue / Semogue 2000 / Proraso White tube / Thayers witch hazel / Proraso Balm mix with 444

25052012.jpg

20120525.jpg

This morning, with the Canica Pink Panther Brush and Musgo Real Cream; Edwin Jagger DE89 head with a Russian blade of mi friend milo, in its third use; I thought were a good complement to the today's star-shave.

And the star-shave. My new UFO handle, caliber 15/15, whom I have named Godzilla.

The razor was behaving differently than it does with its Barley handle. Much more poised, more stable, more finisher, but without losing the smoothness of this head geometry associated with the great Russian blade. A clean, perfect and smooth cut. No surprises, no shocks, predictive, reliable.

I can certify that this handle has much improved the final result. The dimensions and proportions are excellent. It handles very well. The weight is adequate and well distributed. You know that I shave in the shower in the tub with running water and wet hands. The grip is phenomenal. The feel is smooth, without burrs, without ribs, but very good grip. No slips with a wet hand or soap dripping fingers.

It is simply delicious. In the end I cried with joy. I can never thank enough to Rafael.

Anyone thinking about this with the price value, weighing whether expensive or cheap, will not hit. Think that to reach this handle Rafael has had to experiment a lot. He had to destroy parts and tools. Anyone who knows the price of good tools know what I mean. This handle is cheap at the price that puts Rafael, to be fair and honest, will continue to be cheap, because the value is very high. It's brutal. There are no more words that occur to me.

Back
Top Bottom