Vitos pre-shave
Zuri 1950s soap
Semogue SOC Boar
Gillette Tech/Weber Bulldog
Feather (2)
Professor Blighty's Green Ginger AS

BBS results, very nice!

Sunday Morning

Stayed in a hotel overnight so testing the travel brush for the first time.

Cream: TOBS St James
Brush: Simpson Travel Case
Razor: Gillette No 66
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock Sharpedge (yellow)
A/S: TOBS St James

The brush is very small, but works well enough. I lather in my palm so saved some lather in my hand for the next two passes as there wouldn't be enough in the brush. It did it's job, which is all that is required for a travel brush.

17JUN2012.jpg

Saturday, 16.vi.2012

Predopo Vitos
Vie-Long 16728 2-band
JabonMan Edición Limitada
MÜHLE R101
Iridium Super
Thayer's Witch Hazel Lemon
4711 ASL

P1060363.jpg

Sunday, 17.vi.2012

Predopobarba Vitos
Omega 73645
Acca kappa 1869
MÜHLE R101
Iridium Super
Thayer's Witch Hazel Lemon
Dopobarba di Camaldoli

P1060364.jpg

201206172641.jpg

Dove soap/hot face cloth prep
Gillette Slim set on number 4
Feather Blade
Kent BK2 Brush
Bluebeards Revenge Shaving Cream

BSS WTG

Smooth, fuss free shave, just what the doctor orderd :heart:
"Gillette, the best a man can get"....shame I have to go to the 1960s to get it! :D

Re: RE: SOTD SAT 16 June to 23 June ...

Dr Dulcamara said:
20120617.jpg

Thanks Ishmael for the head.
I used some of your soap today. It was a surprise Father's Day gift.

Aqueous cream
Dr Dulcamara Sandalwood shaving soap
Super Adjustable on 3, 2 with Astra Keramik (3rd shave)
Professor Blighty's Universal Shaving Balsalm - sandalwood

Not very close and quite sore. I don't know if this is because the blade was dying, it didn't suit the razor or the soap lather wasn't up to scratch. It was hard to lather though. The bowl is very heavy cland has a felt bottom so sinks when placed in hot water and when left on the too of the wet sink the colour from the flet seeps out. The soap is like a very hard wax so wouldn't be easy to scoop into another bowl.
First try at lathering I used too much water. Second try I used less and lathered harder and for longer. This produced a less runny and more stable lather but still wasn't as good as I had hoped for. After a two pass and very gentle touch up (face quite sore by now) I am still a bit stubbly. I'll try again with this soap in a few days and after a few weeks' use will post a review in the appropriate section.

Would be interested to hear from anyone who has tried any of this range.
IMAG0405.jpg

IMAG0404.jpg

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep;

Marshall Fields rebranded Simpsons best badger
'Webly'/Feather
Surrey SS (pre VDH reformulation)
Lucky Tiger AS and Face Tonic
Annick Goutal 'Eau de Hadrien' EdT (think lemon)

Found a back up Stahly head recently and gave it a go today, perched on the Weber long handle. Shaves just as good as the other one, which is always nice to discover. Loaded with a Feather blade, it cut through two days worth of whiskers with no effort.

BBS results,

Martin

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: Neep, custom coffee bean brush
Razor: Cape, Japanese folding razor for barbers use
Cream: Castle Forbes, Lime + Palmolive stick
AS: Fonex, Malibu
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Very clean :)

Had to work to get a clean shave today and it's the forth time with Castle Forbes cream. 1. Razor's starting to get dull 2. I can't a decent lather of the CF cream (I _love_ the scent) - I built the lather slowly and stopped when the to dry lather came together and didn't crack/dry up in the scuttle, but as I painted the lather on the face I could see how it died/tried out before I could finish the whole face... What am I doing wrong, same thing has happened four times now? :( I want to have this soap in my arsenal, the scent is divine! I even had to use my Palmolive stick for the second pass.
0081024x744.jpg

... and some coffee, of course:
001800x512.jpg

Mikael said:
Cream: Castle Forbes, Lime + Palmolive stick

Had to work to get a clean shave today and it's the forth time with Castle Forbes cream. 1. Razor's starting to get dull 2. I can't a decent lather of the CF cream (I _love_ the scent) - I built the lather slowly and stopped when the to dry lather came together and didn't crack/dry up in the scuttle, but as I painted the lather on the face I could see how it died/tried out before I could finish the whole face... What am I doing wrong, same thing has happened four times now? :( I want to have this soap in my arsenal, the scent is divine! I even had to use my Palmolive stick for the second pass.

Hiya Mikey,

Yeah, the CF cream can be tricky to deal with. There's something about that stuff which makes it difficult to release all the soapy wonderfulness in the lather and it needs to worked a bit more than other soaps/creams.

What seems best for me is to leave some product in a bowl with maybe 1-2 tablespoons of very hot water. I let that sit for a few minutes and it helps dissolve the cream. I remember early on when bowl lathering, I'd find a small amount of cream left in the bowl or brush. Needs more attention.

I'd suck up that water/cream into a fairly dry brush and then try face lathering. See if that helps at all.

Heh, giving advice on lather is kinda tough for me. It's the one thing I still screw up on occasion.

Well, it's an option.....yeah, dat's an option.

Martin

I also love the way that stuff smells. I rarely ever use it though because it's too intense for most days. Performs well, so stay with it.

Cheers bro Marvel! :D That's an option I'll use, for sure *work more with the lather _more_ + decomposition 2-3 minutes in hot water*

It's the same here, new soaps and creams can still screw things up... Hell, old soaps and creams too, sometimes :blush: (when not used for a long while).

SOTD is also my first DE shave :)

Prep: hot shower,
Pre: proraso pre/post cream
Brush: merkur silvertip
Cream: proraso
Razor: merkur futur (set on #1)
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock

Result - very happy!

Technique obviously needs work, no nicks or cuts though from 2 passes.

Very happy overall, razor could probably do with setting a bit higher but for now I'll leave it until I'm more experienced and just work on technique & work on what directions are best for me.

ETA: Also had a good 5 days growth to go at, made mince meat of the job compared to a cart which would usually hardly touch it

Sunday

Dovo Best Quality 5/8
New Forest 2201 Brush
Provence Santé Shaving Soap

Not bad. Yesterday's was better.

Ian

Mikael said:
Cheers bro Marvel! :D That's an option I'll use, for sure *work more with the lather _more_ + decomposition 2-3 minutes in hot water*

Yeah, just skip using a bowl (if you do) and go straight for your face. Just spend a few seconds loading the brush in the bowl and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom