SOTD SAT 16 June to 23 June ...

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: Neep 28 mm extra stuffed in Kenya soap stone handle
Razors: Japanese Ari-Ya + GEM Junior (for head)
Superlather: Dr Harris Almond + Proraso
AS: Ogallala, Limes and Peppercorns
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Very, very clean :D

0141024x568.jpg

Prep Simple Soap
Razor Feather AC - SS
Blade Feather Pro
Brush Simpson Chubby 1 in Super
Shaving Cream Vulfix Persian Musk
Alum & Witch Hazel
L'Occitane Baux Balm
L'Occitane Cedre L'Atlas Eu De Parfum.

Jamie.

One pass shave with minor clean up, choose this razor, because i have a one inch cut to the bone on my index finger, after being very careless while buffing a razor without my gloves on, painful lesson learn't, two stiches and a nasty little scar.

003.jpg

Its Saturday and I have the day to myself, what better time for my second shave using a straight (same one as Jamies above!) - I did my cheeks as the first time and then tried pulling my skin up under them (my Jowels?) with my other hands to shave as far as my chin line would allow - lo and behold when I let go I was clean under my chin line and able to carry on down my neck. All those youtube videos were paying off! Smashing.

I then got brave and decided to try to shave the middle of my face as I just started wondering 'what all the fuss was about - this doesn't seem that difficult'. In that split second the blade skipped, then bit and drew first blood. Question asked...and answered.

After that I moved to shave my bottom lip and my chin, struggling to keep it all smooth and flowing. Slow and steady wins the race for me at the moment but I need much better control with my weak hand (right hand for me) as I caught myself again once again during this. None of them were serious by any means but served to show the length of the journey it would take to make this task second nature.

I decided to leave my top lip for another day and went back to the DE to finish up as I've already learned another 2 things today...

1 - The pulling your cheeks up thing works (for me at least)
2 - It all gets a great deal more difficult from this point onwards.

I enjoyed todays outing immensely and I've got to say, my cheeks were shaved as close in one pass with the straight as I normally am with two or three passes with my DEs. This is the bit that intrigued me the first straight shave I had, as although its at least as close there seems less irritation. I'll be having another straight shave tomorrow evening and I'm looking forward to it already.

so, my SOTD consisted of:

Hot towels
Proraso Pre/Post (Old formula)
Feather Artist SS - Pro Blade (2)
Simpsons Tulip T1 (which I initially though was gonna be too small but is a great little brush - really easy to paint a thin layer of lather on with it)
TOBS Sandalwood (First outing with this too and I like it (although it doesn't taste very nice!!)

Then to finish up

Ikon S3S
Astra SP (2)
Clinique post shave beard reduction formula
Witch hazel
Penhaligons Juniper Sling (courtesy of Jaycey and his posh fragrances for all)

and I'm ready for the day - have a good one.

Saturday

Cream: T+H West Indian Limes
Brush: Neep #1108 24mm Super SilverTip set in Masur Birch
Razor: iKon Classic
Blade: Feather
Balm: T+H West Indian Limes
Cologne: T+H West Indian Limes

I have been struggling with this razor lately, but this morning I got a wonderful shave from it, I managed to get the angle just right and it was a wonderful shave :)

16JUN2012.jpg

Ouch, Jamie! Well, I had a less painful morning, but not an ideal one... new kettle as my old one was doing a dying swan over the last few months, so all my pouring reflexes are off. So I poured boiling water all over the counter, from which it splashed all over my weight shin and ankle. And, it turns out, I accidentally used the wrong container of tea - don't particularly want to be drinking chai at 9 am.

So, a shave with my right foot in a washing-up bowl of cold water. What will go wrong now?

This morning:

Prep: Face wash, Imperial Leather bath soap, cold
Razor: Kropp 6/8", restored by UKRob (first time used by me)
Brush: New Forest High Mountain Badger
Soap: Taylor's Jermyn Street
Aftershave: Prof Blighty's Red Ginger

What a beautiful razor. What a fabulous shave. Did the extra neck pass I have been habitually doing with a honing straight, and am actually as close as I ever got with the Feather on my neck. Completely comfortable, highly enjoyable. Soaked the lather longer than I would with the AC, which may have paid off.

So an excellent, satisfying shave, and I think my foot has survived its baptism too :).

Dr Rick said:
Ouch, Jamie! Well, I had a less painful morning, but not an ideal one... new kettle as my old one was doing a dying swan over the last few months, so all my pouring reflexes are off. So I poured boiling water all over the counter, from which it splashed all over my weight shin and ankle. And, it turns out, I accidentally used the wrong container of tea - don't particularly want to be drinking chai at 9 am.

So, a shave with my right foot in a washing-up bowl of cold water. What will go wrong now?

This morning:

Prep: Face wash, Imperial Leather bath soap, cold
Razor: Kropp 6/8", restored by UKRob (first time used by me)
Brush: New Forest High Mountain Badger
Soap: Taylor's Jermyn Street
Aftershave: Prof Blighty's Red Ginger

What a beautiful razor. What a fabulous shave. Did the extra neck pass I have been habitually doing with a honing straight, and am actually as close as I ever got with the Feather on my neck. Completely comfortable, highly enjoyable. Soaked the lather longer than I would with the AC, which may have paid off.

So an excellent, satisfying shave, and I think my foot has survived its baptism too :).

Well Rick you seem to have taken to straight shaving like a duck to water, using the Feather razor does make the transition to traditional straights easier i believe..

Jamie

Dove Soap/ Hot Face cloth
Brucke 6/8
Kent BK2 Brush
Taylor's sandlewood shaving cream
Geo.F.Trumper Skin Food to finish

BSS WTG ,BSS ATG

Decided to make my straight razor shave more productive,since I have to go with a 3 pass shave, my beard is so dam thick however......

Ha,Ha,Ha, beard, looks like the straight razor has won.
I have been watching my beard growth all week, on average 11 hours untill re growing starts, and in the morning my beard is much shorter than when I shave with a DE razor *YES*

Well done England.... Sorry Sweden..... Close...But not close enough :icon_cheesygrin:

Saturday

Dovo Best Quality 5/8
New Forest 2201 Brush
Arko Soap Stick
Thayer's Witch Hazel Toner

I appear to have made something of a breakthrough, as the result today (and yesterday) is approaching DE levels. I did give myself a slight slice, but compared to the cuts and burns mentioned earlier, I'm feeling quite lucky.

Ian

Re: RE: SOTD SAT 16 June to 23 June ...

pugh-the-special-one said:
Well Rick you seem to have taken to straight shaving like a duck to water, using the Feather razor does make the transition to traditional straights easier i believe..

I suspect so too. However, the whole thing is always going to be easier for me since I don't shave my top lip or chin (haven't seen either of them since 1994), which I think are the hardest for most straight shavers.

Saturday

Merkur 34c
Shark SS
Semogue 2015
Proraso Soap
Vifrex Dopobarba (neck)
Proraso Sul Filo Del Rasoio Cream (rest of face)

Lorenzo Villoresi Uomo EDT

The SFDR cream works exceptionally well as an all round everyday moisturiser. I also just realised that with the exception of one or two shaves I have pretty much been shaving with the same gear for a whole year with very little issues.

I could just about sell everything else and stick with this setup..... but where's the fun in that.

Re: RE: SOTD SAT 16 June to 23 June ...

barlines said:
. None of them were serious by any means but served to show the length of the journey it would take to make this task second nature.

It took me about a month (of use six days a week, every shave) to get to the point where I was comfortable enough to relax and do something really stupid. Probably three months to truly routine good shaves. After six months, I have rarely nicked myself even the tiniest weeper (now at eight).

I suspect not using it constantly will make it a much longer curve to real familiarity. 100 consecutive shaves, that's the ticket.

(Now watch me amputate my ear tomorrow...)

Saturday

Antique Gold Progress
Gillette Super Thin
Vie-Long Peleon Horsehair
EJ Shave Cream (sample from Phil, thank you)
EJ Post Balm (sample from Phil, thank you)
Krampert's Finest Bay Rum

The EJ is excellent. Lathers easy and makes tons of it.

Aqueous cream
Boots Cool cologne shaving cream, bowl lathered
Astra Keramik (second shave)
Progress on 1.5 for first two passes, then 2 for touch-ups and a cheeky against the grain pass under the, er, cheeky
M&S Autograph shaving balm

The Boots cream in the bowl was floated in hot water. The cream turned into the same kind of consistency as Cella! It worked a treat though. First pass didn't remove a great deal of hair but was very smooth. The second was very nice - could tell this was a very good blade and razor pairing. At the end of the third pass, which includes some buffing on the patchy areas, I realised that under my chin on the right hand side I could get an against the grain pass that was neither sore nor tuggy, which 99% of the time it is for me. So today I actually managed a proper BBS shave! Need to remember this razor and blade combo for the future!

Saturday:

Vitos coconut soap
Semogue SOC Boar
Gillette Tech/Weber Bulldog
Feather (1)
Pinaud Vanilla AS

Very smooth and easy. BBS results. Always nice to use the Tech.

Back
Top Bottom