SOTD: Sat 10/11/12 to Fri 16/11/11

Re: RE: SOTD: Sat 10/11/12 to Fri 16/11/11

Monday morning​

Following yesterdays succesful succesful shave with the R41 I decided to use it again this morning.

Prep: Hot Shower
Soap: Floris JF
Brush: Simpson Chubby 2 Best Badger
Razor: Muhle R41 2011
Blade: Personna Red (2)
A/S: Floris JF

Another superbly close 3 pass shave.

Monday:

Cella
Semogue SOC Boar
Artist Club SS
Pro Guard Blade
Witch Hazel
DR Harris Windsor AS
CK One EdT - blast from the past!

Two days growth gone in a flash. Very smooth!

This morning:

Pre: Proraso pre/post white
Cream: TOBs jermyn st
Brush: New Forest Tubby 2
Razor: Merkur Head with Weber Bulldog handle
Blade: 7 o'clock yellow (3)
Result: nice irritation free shave

First time using the Merkur head with the bulldog handle and it goes really well. I'll not comment on how similar it was to the Weber. :)

Monday

Schick Adjustable Injector with Schick Blade
Edwin Jagger Silvertip Brush
Martin de Candre Shaving Soap

Fancied a change of pace, so I liberated the Injector and gave it a run.
A comfortable, but not a terribly close shave, even after an ATG pass. I think I'll try it tomorrow with a less "cusion-y" lather.

Ian

Today's shave

razora.jpg

Dove Face wash/hot Face cloth perp
Gem Push button razor
Vibrola almond shaving soap
Kent BK2 Brush
Cold Face cloth,Geo.F.Trumper Sandalwood SkinFood to finish

Got a bit of irritation today as I was trying out a theory, and was proven correct......
As a guide on my face.... the more aggressive the razor, the softer the brush is needed to counterbalance the razor.

I know the BK2 is soft, but it is semi scratchy when compared to the BK4, of which is soft ( But with some backbone ).

Not content with this GEM razor being aggressive enough (The newer the Model the milder the razor, so I've been told) I have managed to acquire a Micromatic from the bay, just to find out just how nasty they are. Having said that, people have told me that the Gillette red tip is aggressive, but I found it a delight to use.
I guess every body is so different.

Today, an herbal shave!

w7hhv.jpg

Pre Veleiro soap + Musgo Real classic shaving cream + Vulfix 2234 + Gillette Super Adjustable with Gillette Platinum + Herbíssimo balm

Today I have tested a facelathering technique with this cream, which is a bit problematic using in a bowl: put an almond in the top of a wet but well drained brush, then facelather with it adding from time to time some water as needed. Brilliant!

And this spanish balm I think is the most close in scent to this cream (much more than Musgo real after shaves) and is really cheap!

Cheers!

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage Marshall Fields rebranded Simpsons best
'Webly'/Schick Plus Platinum (NOS)
Surrey SS (pre VDH reformulation)
Barbershop Bay Rum AS
Floris 'Santal' EdT

Popped a fresh blade in the Webly.....great combo. This old soap's probably my favorite stuff, even though the scent is just about gone.

BBS results,

Martin

Monday:

Afternoon, all.

Prep: Claus Porto Lime-oil face soap
Razor: EJ DE89
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock blue
Brush: The Soap Shed Super Badger
Shave soap: Kell's Hemp/Aloe blend: Energy
A/S: Professor Blighty's Scaramouche aftershave lotion

Busy weekend this one so didnt get chance to post:

Friday shave:
EJDE89
Red Personna
Vulfix Bodger
Proraso soap
Ginseng and Black Pepper Balm
C and S Cuba EDT

Sunday:
EJDE89
Red Personna
EJ badger
BS Maca Root
Ogallala Bay Rum Limes and Peppercorns
C and S Cuba EDT

Monday 12 November

Prep: Shower and facial wash
Pre - Shave: Proraso White
Cream: Wella Just Men System Professional (a change from my usual Proraso White)
Razor: Merkur 38C Barber Pole
Brush: Vulfix Super Badger (not sure of model)
Bowl: Aesop Yori - Sanagi Stainless Steel
Blade: Astra Superior Platinum - fresh blade this morning
Post Shave: Osma Alum Bloc, Proraso Aloe and Vitamin E (impulse purchase and behind the Proraso white scent for me)

[attachment=6005]

Conclusion: First bad nick after a week if DE shaving, but nice and smooth. The alum bloc is super, really makes a difference to me. Still find the jaw line a tricky area, but getting there little by little. Not as keen on the new Proraso as the white, but as I'm working from home today, thought I'd go with it.
Am learning that this forum is dangerous, far more dangerous than shaving with a blunt blade! Too many ideas for new, exciting, different products with a subsequent effect on my bank account!!
Interestingly after one week in of proper DE shaving (I first tried it maybe 15 years ago with no success - information and help wasn't so easy to come by back then and I just shaved as I would with a multi-blade cartridge razor - ouch!) it seems to me that this traditional way of shaving actually makes your shave feel closer as the day progresses. I will be honest, initially I cannot feel too much difference from a - say - Gillette Fusion shave. As the day ticks on, though, it is clear that the shave is closer and better (by that I mean my skin feels much healthier).
There we are..until next time folks...

Jon

Attachments

• 20121112113259752.jpg
    20121112113259752.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 21
Monday 12th November

Hot Shower and Facial Scrub
Proraso Sensitive Pre/Post Cream
Ford & Medley 333 6/8 Razor
Semogue 1470 Brush
Nannys Coriander and Goats Milk Soap
Alum Block
Organic Shea Butter
Morgans Classic Pomade
James Bronnley Gentlemans EDT

Excellent shave. I seems strange calling it BBS! Over the last few weeks leading up to Remembrance Sunday I have had a few dress occasions where I have had to be clean shaven. Today was my belated start to Movember, so while technically I am BBS.....it is strange having stubble on my upper lip. Last time I had a moustache.....I was not using a straight, so learning to shape will be an experience!

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: Neep with extra stuffed 28 mm silvertip knot
Razor: Bartmann 15/16
Soap: Nannys French Lavender
AS: Dr Harris Sandalwood
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Uberclean :D

Lovely shave and I do love my DR Harris Sandalwood, it's a perfect fall AS/scent!
0071024x798.jpg

Back
Top Bottom