SOTD 6th-12th Oct

This morning:

Prep: Face wash, Imperial Leather bath soap, cold
Razor: Dovo 5/8" "best quality"
Brush: Neep #1156 cocobolo chubby 24mm extra silvertip
Soap: Prof Blighty's Peppermint
Aftershave: Prof Blighty's Red Ginger
Scent: Penhaligon's Endymion

For the first time in many months, and first ever with a honed straight (I'm pretty sure), I drew a drop of blood - at the throat, gone completely after rinsing, no alum required. Can't remember the last time I had even a hint of pink in the lather...

Edwin Jagger Sea Buckthorn shaving cream
Henk walnut silvertip badger
Birth year Super Adjustable on 5, 3
Gillette New Stainless Super Thin
Boots Freshwood a/s lotion

Fantastic shave. Never got a really superior shave with a Super Adjustable before. Hoped these Super Thins would deliver a very good one as it's a top blade but this surpassed expectations.
Very little razor burn as proven when I did no less than three liberal doses of alcohol-based aftershave.

TUESDAY EVENING

Ikon OSS
Bolzano (3)
Neep Coral Soapstone
Coconut shaving soap courtesy of Dodgy - scuttle lathered
Witch hazel
Castle Forbes balm

Pretty poor shave tonight unfortunately. A combination of the Bolzano getting blunter (I'm sure I've had about four or five shaves out of these before) and poor technique means a couple of rough patches on my left cheek.

Blade now binned, and I'll pick something else tomorrow.

Proraso Pre/Post (Original formula)
Ikon S3S
Supermax Platinum
Muhle Silvertip Fibre 21mm Horn
Cella Crema Da Barba
Nivea Replenishing Aftershave Balm

Ahhh

Razor:Le Grelot 6/8 evidé
Strop:Ambrose Spanish Horse (20/60)
Preshave: Castle Forbes
Brush:Simpson KH3
lather:Nanny's Juniper Berry SS
AS: Myrsol Agua Balsámica
EdT:Aqua Classica Borsari di Parma
Comments: I have not get a great lather form this soap, maybe my mistake, more water than the soap needed. But the razor has forgiven my fault, and I have obtain a very smooth shave. When I bought this Grelot from rasurpur, some years ago, I was afraid to not being able to get a sharp and comfortable edge as the razor had when the seller sent it to me, but now I have learned a lot, thanks to my forum mates, and this razor has and edge worth of the best of my shaves. The agua balsamica is may preferred Myrsol product, the scent of the rosemary, thyme and lavender is pleasant and spicy as I usually like. Borsari di Parma gives a citrusy and classy italian finish....When I remember thhe times of the cartridge and can goo,....how wrong was me!!!!
Picture:
PA090061.jpg

Wednesday

Muhle R89
Perma Sharp Super (3)
Semogue OC
Palmolive soap
Sudocrem

Rough shave today with a few nicks and a slightly spotty looking neck, not sure if it was me or 3 days is pushing this blade. Should of used the nivea my face is feeling tight.

Goid news though! the Mergress is getting deployed tomorrow.

Wednesday:

Palmolive/Erasmic soap
Semogue SOC Boar
Aristocrat Junior
Gillette 7 o'clock Yellow (3)
TOBS Mr Taylors AS
LEA Balm
TOBS St James EdC

Another very nice shave, BBS results.

Wednesday Morning

Still working my way through the Chinese pif blades. First shave with the Ying JiLi Blue Diamond. This has to be the worst blade I have ever encountered, I took the blade out midway through the first pass and replaced it with my normal Gillette Super Thin.

Prep: Hot Shower
Cream: TOBS Eton College
Brush: Simpson Chubby 2 Best Badger
Razor: Feather AS-D1
Blade: Ying JiLi Blue Diamond / Gillette Super Thin
A/S: TOBS Eton College

Greetings

Wednesday 10th October 2012
Prep: Shower
Razor: GEM Contour
Blade: GEM Stainless Coated
Brush: Vulfix 404 Mixed
Soap: Kent Luxury
Aftershave: Dove Sensitive Balm

A super shave with the Contour, although one of the mildest SE's, with three passes it still, IMHO gives a perfect shave.

I am, I believe, coming to the conclusion that the biggest difference (at least for me) between the aggressive and mild GEM's/ER's is the amount of touching up required.

I found that yesterday with the 1924 I needed hardly any, today with the Contour, I needed quite a bit, but in the end the final result seemed the same.

I can however see a compelling argument in favour of the more aggressive models if you do not shave every day or have a 'Desperate Dan type' heavy beard. In the end I personally have not found a single SE razor that is not capable of giving a BBS shave; the model seems just a matter of choice.

Regards
Dick.

Bulldog for men face wash.
New Forest super badger brush.
Mama Bears Northwoods shaving soap.
Muhle R89 razor with Personna red #3.
Village Barber aftershave balm.
Pleasures for men EDT.

Comfortable shave today.

Back
Top Bottom