SOTD 20th - 26th October

Thought I would share today, picture was taken with a Samsung S2 in not to great light conditions!

[attachment=5905]

Attachments

• 20121023_173853.jpg
    20121023_173853.jpg
    489.1 KB · Views: 30
UKRob said:
That's probably because you appear to have about 80 razors but only 1 face (and you use a Gem Junior for your head).:icon_razz:

:icon_redface: you're correct, it sounds rather awful to put it like that ... :blush: I really need to thin the herd, but I think this one would stay in the stable, _if_ I get to that point :icon_razz:

Tuesday Morning​

Trying out the Neep free horse hair brush this morning. To be fair I wasn't expecting much from this as it doesn't seem a very dense knot, it looks a bit straggly and when I test lathered it I decided it had no backbone. It really didn't have much going for it.
I decided trying a soap would be useless so stuck to a trusty TOBS Cream.
I soaked the brush as normal, a quick shake, then using my normal amount of cream set too face lathering as normal. The brush did a surprisingly good job, I ended up with a good lather all over my face, and a well loaded brush.
There was plenty of lather in the brush for the next 2 passes which surprised me.

Overall I am quite impressed with this brush, and would certainly be happy to try some other horse brushes now.

Would I have bought a horse hair brush? - No.
Will I use this brush again? - Yes, it will go in rotation with the rest of my brushes.
Will I try another horse hair brush? Yes, definitely.

So onto the shavey bits.

Prep: Hot Shower
Cream: TOBS Eton College
Brush: Neep Horse hair
Razor: Feather AS-D1
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock
A/S: TOBS Eton College

IMG_0023.jpg

Proraso Pre/Post (Original formula)
Feather Artist Club SS - Pro Blade
Simpsons Tulip T1
Palmolive Classic Shaving Soap
Nivea Replenishing Aftershave Balm

I think I'm getting my shaving mojo back.

Lose the beard said:
Tuesday Morning

Trying out the Neep free horse hair brush this morning. To be fair I wasn't expecting much from this as it doesn't seem a very dense knot, it looks a bit straggly and when I test lathered it I decided it had no backbone. It really didn't have much going for it.
I decided trying a soap would be useless so stuck to a trusty TOBS Cream.
I soaked the brush as normal, a quick shake, then using my normal amount of cream set too face lathering as normal. The brush did a surprisingly good job, I ended up with a good lather all over my face, and a well loaded brush.
There was plenty of lather in the brush for the next 2 passes which surprised me.

Overall I am quite impressed with this brush, and would certainly be happy to try some other horse brushes now.

I really must get round to using mine. I have a few Vie-Long horse and horse/badger brushes. I am not 100% sure ....but I think the largest knot available is 23mm, which is considerably smaller than the Neep knot. I have had a few problems. Perhaps it is the way I use the brush. I like to swirl before I paint...and a number of my horse brushes have formed a dense plug of hair at the base of the knot. I have actually started combing the knots to straighten the hair! I do hope the Neep brush is different, as Horse is a pleasant hair to use.

This morning's shave:

Pre-shave: Hot water and Clinique cleansing bar
Razor: Super Slim Adjustable
Blade: Treet Durasharp
Cream: Imgrams
Brush: Edwin Jagger large silvertip
Post-shave: Cold water, Body Shop Arber EDT

Method: One pas WTG with razor at 6, two passes xtg with razor at 3 and a bit of touching up with the razor at 1.

BBS shave today with only a tiny bit of irritation. Menthol hit from the Ingrams certainly woke me up, and the Arber is nicer than many more expensive EDTs.

Not happy with tonight's shave.
Gillette No. 58 kindly lent by Dodgy
Bull Frog Wasabi shaving soap; Vitos shaving soap; Trumper's Limes shaving cream
Schick Krona, second use; Gillette Swede, third use; Gillette 7 o'clock Super Stainless, second use; English Wilkinson Sword
Proraso pre/post as post-shave soother

Couldn't get a good lather from the Wasabi - small sample too hard to press down and didn't want to risk ruining it in the microwave. Got a watery lather. Got a better lather with the Vitos but wanted it thicker. A good quality cream in the end helped.
The Schick blade felt draggy. The 7 o'clock 'green' less so but wouldn't get close. The Swede the same. Tried a fresh blade as all these had been used at least once before. Better but still draggy. I can't seem to find the right angle on the razor; had the same problem with my Aristocrat No. 66 so I begrudgingly sold it.

Might just have been a bad day and bad luck.

Mikael said:
Prep: Hot shower
Brush: M&F blond two band
Razor: 133 Imp by Morris
AS: Lavanda
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Very, very clean :D

I don't shave that often with this lovely square pointed Imp ... and I can't understand why, it's a really good shaver? :D
0031024x680.jpg

Would be much better if we could see the whole razor Mikael, looks very good from that end but would love to see the rest. come on i thought i was a bad photographer!

NotTheStig said:
Not happy with tonight's shave.
Couldn't get a good lather from the Wasabi - small sample too hard to press down and didn't want to risk ruining it in the microwave. Got a watery lather. Got a better lather with the Vitos but wanted it thicker. A good quality cream in the end helped.
The Schick blade felt draggy. The 7 o'clock 'green' less so but wouldn't get close. The Swede the same. Tried a fresh blade as all these had been used at least once before. Better but still draggy.
Might just have been a bad day and bad luck.

Sounds like when I screw up the lather in some way and then having to play catch up. Try a control soap/cream and fresh blade and I'd bet things will be better. That razor should fit you pretty well I'd think.

Re: RE: SOTD 20th - 26th October

culcreuch said:
I really must get round to using mine. I have a few Vie-Long horse and horse/badger brushes. I am not 100% sure ....but I think the largest knot available is 23mm, which is considerably smaller than the Neep knot. I have had a few problems. Perhaps it is the way I use the brush. I like to swirl before I paint...and a number of my horse brushes have formed a dense plug of hair at the base of the knot. I have actually started combing the knots to straighten the hair! I do hope the Neep brush is different, as Horse is a pleasant hair to use.

I have exactly this problem with my Vie-Long horse, too.

Sezer74 said:
Would be much better if we could see the whole razor Mikael, looks very good from that end but would love to see the rest. come on i thought i was a bad photographer!

I'll try and do better today, but I can't promise anything, you'll have to wait and see ...

Wednesday:
Edwin Jagger DE86
Personna, Red
Semogue 830
Palmolive Stick

Probably the ideal price / performance balance.

Penhaligons Hammam Bouquet EDT
Penhaligons Sartorial Moustache Wax

Off work 'til November 5th, which is nice.

Wednesday:

TOBS Sandalwood Cream
Vulfix 660
Aristocrat Junior
Gillette 7 o'clock SharpEdge (1)
TOBS Shaving Shop AS
LEA AS balm
L'Occitane Baux EdT

Very nice shave, BBS results. Damn cold means I can't really pick up how nice I obviously must smell!

Greetings

Wednesday 24th October 2012
Prep: Shower
Razor: PAL Injectomatic
Blade: Personna Stainless Coated
Brush: Lijun Boar
Soap: Boots stick grated into a container
Aftershave: RSC Balm

A less than perfect shave. I have not been a great fan of the Boots shave stick in the past on the grounds that on a couple of occasions it has proved tricky to lather, today after the second pass and more so during the third my face started to tingle/smart.

There appears to be something in this soap which does not agree with my skin; as a result it now resides in the kitchen bin! This is the only shave soap or cream that I have tried to date that has caused me any problem.

Regards
Dick.

Back
Top Bottom