Status
Not open for further replies.
Hot water
Bluebeard's Revenge Cream
Men U bristle brush
Merkur 38R
Rapira Swedish Super Steel
Proraso pre-and post-shave to finish

I haven't posted in Shave of the Day before but felt compelled to as I achieved, quite by accident, my first ever BBS shave!
Surely a rite of passage?
I have been DE shaving for just under two years now and have got some very very good shaves but this was the first time I achieved BBS.
I had already shaved this morning (so off to a bit of a head start) but decided to shave again today as it hadn't been an especially close one and I hadn't used my Bluebeard's Revenge for ages (such a great lather, such a great smell!)
The Rapira blade I had shaved with once before, so I didn't expect too much from it (although I tend to find them very sharp and the Swedish Super Steel seem less abrasive than the standard Rapiras on the first pass or so).

Skin was a little red and one or two very small nicks but once I saw how well it was going I had to try to be a perfectionist!

Wednesday

KOS Azor Sensitive
Ever Ready 150 restore
Palmolive Soap
Thayers

BBS yesterday gave me a neck like a plucked chicken today, I mean I woke up and my neck is in tatters! Really unsightly and sore, really not happy at all.

Wednesday

Merkur 34G & Wilkinson Sword > Vulfix 404 mixed & Martin de Candre > Provence Sante after shave tonic > Institut Karite after shave balm > Acqua di Parma Colonia Eau de Toilette

Show more

Some feedback:

- The MdC is indeed a very nice soap, however and as few have already mentioned here, it is not really a soap that will give you a x20 times better shave that a soap/stick that costs x20 times less would. Nonetheless, if one can afford such a soap (and is willing to bear with the hilarious shipping costs) then this is a product that deserves a place in one's shave den.
- The Provence Sante after shave tonic resembled witch hazel (aloe vera) to me. Nice and clean, with high moisturizing abilities for a toner/after shave.
- The Institut Karite balm: I happen to love the 'milky' scent, and found it not interfering much with the cologne I chose today. As a balm it is quite milky and protects the face very well from dryness or the effects of low temperatures. Naturally suitable for colder climates.

An excellent shave overall.

Wednesday

Hot Shower
Loccitane Face Wash
NF2221
Formula 31 Coconut Cream
Gillette Slim Adjustable on 6
Gillette Bleue Extra#2
Loccitane Face Splash
Loccitane ASB

Second outing with the formula 31 cream,much better lather this time used an almost dry brush and plenty for 2 passes.
Smooth shave again with the Bleue blade used it in my EJ89 first tried it in the slim today.Seems my face only likes Gillette blades.

Wednesday

Sanguine Shavette
Shark Super Chrome Blade
New Forest 2201 Brush
Palmolive Shaving Cream
Alum
L'Occitane Cade asb (finished the tube)

Well, this was a surprise. I've never shaved with any kind of shavette before, so really didn't know what to expect.

What I got was a close and comfortable shave. No blood, a little bit of a tingle in some areas, but nothing major. No doubt my recent straight razor escapades made this shave all the more easier, but I was still pleasently surprised.

I have to admit, that this shave was how I thought shaving with a straight would feel, but now I know better. 2 very different razors.

Ian

Wednesday 9th February

Martin de Candre Savon à raser - Simpson Duke 2 - Gillette Fatboy - Gillette Swede (2) - Speick AS - Cartier Declaration EdT

Another nice shave.

Tuesday morning
Pre: Hot shower
Brush: PJ 3
Razor: Thomas Turner´s Everlasting
Soap: Nannys Ice and a Slice
AS: Dr Harris Sandalwood
Strops: Neil Miller
Scuttle: SWK
Result: Very clean :D
My new scuttle was a joy to use, I´ve to dail in the heat though, tap water is slightly to cold (around 55 degrees c) and water boiler to hot, hmm. Lovely scuttle anyways, sits perfect in my hand, good size and I love the design (limited edition). I missed a spot on my cheek today, when I did touch up, otherwise a very good shave :D
Ian: Shavettes can be good, sharp enough for sure, but not very smooth I think. I´m happy you got a good shave, what ever works ...
P2080007800x675.jpg

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage Marshall Fields silvertip
1946-47 Aristocrat/Iridium
Institut Karite SS
Lucky Tiger AS and Face Tonic
Caron 'Yatagan' EdT (nice mix of celery/pine notes)

The Ik really is a very good soap. Lather is slick with plenty of cushion, and post shave skin care rivals MWF. Scent is a light floral, similar to the old C&E Sweet Almond Oil shaving cream.

BBS results,

Martin

man of leisure said:
Well done Ian after my trials with the Yellow Peril glad to hear they are good, Max was impressed by that model as well. Me I am sticking to the DEs so much simpler.

I'm not sure I'll be sticking with it, but I wanted to try one, and Blighty sold me his.

The fact that I have been doing a fair amount of straight shaving definitely gave me an advantage. I suspect that going DE>Shavette is much more difficult then Straight>Shavette.

Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom