Shave of the day. W/C Saturday 26th March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
A three way test shave today, but since this razor did most of the work I'll save the others for later. Max should recognise the blade ... and the scales ;)

SOTD280311_1.jpg

Pradat-Brun 5/8; New Forest 2211 silvertip; Nanny's "The Spicy One" new improved formula soft soap; Taylor's St James firewater.

Result: überclean (yes, really). The razor came sharper than I expected, and was a real pleasure to shave with.

Early Monday Morning

40's Superspeed
Fresh Red IP
Kent H8
Arko Stick
Professor Blighty's Grapewood aftershave

What a difference a prep makes, my first early morning shave in a while. I usually have a bath then shave at night. My whiskers are al dente after a bath. There are not after a minute or two with hot water and a facecloth at 6.30am.

Monday

Merkur 34c HD
Red Personna
404 badger/boar shaving brush
Arko shaving stick
Tabac AS

Three pass shave.

The Red Personna blade is not giving me a close shave, only a workaday one.

Tuesday

Merkur : Wilkinson : Shavemac : Dovo : Bottega : Guerlain

SOTD_29Mar.jpg

Very nice, apart from the fact of course that I omitted some stubble areas (upper moustache area, for example). It must be that I'm gradually coming back I guess.
Shaving with brushes like this Shavemac D01 2B makes you wonder again and again why you had to buy or try a dozen other brushes before you get to this one - simply because you don't need anything else (apart from a couple of Simpson brushes as well).

The Dovo (Eucalyptus scent) is very good, a really hard/sticky texture cream that contains lanolin and works great.
The Bottega Uomo Red Tea After Shave Balsam is becoming one of my favorites, as is their shave cream.

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: Shavemac D01
Razor: Erik Anton Berg
Soap: Provence Santé
AS: Dr Harris Sandalwood
Strops. Neil Miller
Result: Uberclean :)

This was a nice one, love this blade and it has a name that could be Norweigan - this shave was for you Amund :) (he´s a member here aswell and unfortunatly he had a relapse with cancer :( )
svenska_flaggan1-1-1.png

Tuesday:

Special day today: soundtrack - Zep

Pre: 3 mins hot towel
Brush: New Forest High mountain
Soap: ToB's Sandalwood
Razor: Gold Gillette Old
Blade: 7'oclock yellow (1)
As: Tet-a-Tet
Pomade: Black and White

Needed a bit of luxury today hence the gold old. Seems it partners well with the yellow sevens. Usual great result from ToB's, those creams really are one of the bargains of the shaving world.

BBS, skin happy, smelling refined. A capital shave from the first squeaks of bonzo's high hat pedal on levee breaks all the way through to the rolling hypnotics of jones' Rhodes through that Vcs envelope filter on no quarter.

Hmmmmm.

Tuesday

EJ Chatsworth
Lord Cool (4)
NF Silvertip
Provence Sante soap
OS Whitewater AS
Nivea ASB

Still slight issues with lather, i seem to be losing the knack! I loaded for longer than i usually would, drained loads of water off the brush and still managed to lose the lather for the 3rd pass and had to reload the brush for a few seconds on the soap! Truly i am not sure what i am doing! I have used the soap before and have been using the brush a fair amount since i have had it, both to great success but something recently has been escaping me!

Still, despite the lather disappearing from the brush in the time it takes for a pass (when i have finished lathering up, in this case for the 2nd pass, there is still seemingly loads of lather left in the brush - but it seems to go as i shave the pass. When i pick the brush back up and start to rub on my face, there isn't much forthcoming and a glance at the hairs shows there isn't much there! I wonder whether i am being too frugal with loading even now?) it was a nice shave. This soap is so comforting and i only regret not buying 2 when i had the chance! :roll:

Have a good day gents.

Tuesday

Merkur 38C
Gillette 'Swede' Blade
New Forest 2201 Brush
Mystery Soap 'A'
Alum
Bulldog asb

Same as yesterday, but with the addition of alum.

Ian

Shower
Radio 4

EJ DE89
Personna
Erasmic
W/Sword brush
One planet asb
johnsons powder
Black suede edt

Head and face shave today, must have nicked a bump on my head, a bit of claret but soon sorted by the powder. Two passes and a touch up on the face. Nice and smooth.

AJP said:
Tuesday

EJ Chatsworth
Lord Cool (4)
NF Silvertip
Provence Sante soap
OS Whitewater AS
Nivea ASB

Still slight issues with lather, i seem to be losing the knack! I loaded for longer than i usually would, drained loads of water off the brush and still managed to lose the lather for the 3rd pass and had to reload the brush for a few seconds on the soap! Truly i am not sure what i am doing! I have used the soap before and have been using the brush a fair amount since i have had it, both to great success but something recently has been escaping me!

Still, despite the lather disappearing from the brush in the time it takes for a pass (when i have finished lathering up, in this case for the 2nd pass, there is still seemingly loads of lather left in the brush - but it seems to go as i shave the pass. When i pick the brush back up and start to rub on my face, there isn't much forthcoming and a glance at the hairs shows there isn't much there! I wonder whether i am being too frugal with loading even now?) it was a nice shave. This soap is so comforting and i only regret not buying 2 when i had the chance! :roll:

Have a good day gents.

Maybe try giving your brush a clean. Could it be that the hairs are a bit clogged up with deposits? A swish in a warm water and vinegar solution would sort it out if so.

MWF Hand Soap,
GFT Lime SF as Prep,
MWF SS,
New Forest 2203,
Dovo 5/8,
Razorock Alum,
GFT Limes SF,
Davidoff Cool Water EdT.

SOTDMar29th2011.jpg

Two days off the straight and I'm shaving like a noob!! :eek:
No not too bad. A few nicks here and there. Tomorrows a new day! :roll:

Status